Community Dinner Suggestions

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 pm

assuming you will grocery shop in Reno. ???
There is almost always a carnicero nearby. Stop in a buy your meat pre-marinated & the burrito fixins. you are good to go!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby LostinReno » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Boijoy wrote:how the hell do you live in Reno & not like cilantro?? It's on everything here!! and onions.

I LOVE onions!
@AntiM, soap...agreed!
I know they put it in everything and it annoys me. It's easy to skim it off the top of Vietnamese noodles (never knew cilantro was Vietnamese, why the hell is it in their soup??) and Murrietta's will make whatever you want without it. :D

@Prospero, like Boijoy said, it's in everything here. I've tried it again and again and again....I'm still not a fan.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Get a fuckload of beans, tortillas and hot sauce and serve tacos!

Get a fuckload of chickens and just roast 'em up!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 pm

don't forget the fuckload of cheese. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Boijoy wrote:
LostinReno wrote:
geekster wrote:TIP: NEVER put cilantro in anything. Serve it on the side. 10% of the population has a genetic variation that causes cilantro to be positively repulsive.

Ewwww, count me in that 10%! People who love it (seemingly, the other 90%), seem to pile it on! It really pisses me off when people ruin guacamole with that nastiness. Blech!

Back to the topic, I made a huge batch of Tabouli (minus cilantro :wink: ), it lasted all week in the fridge and everybody seemed to like it.

how the hell do you live in Reno & not like cilantro?? It's on everything here!! and onions.

It has nothing to do with where you live. It's genetic. And they put that crap on everything in the San Francisco Bay Area, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Prospero's Ghost wrote:My favorite quote about this:

"If you don't like cilantro...you are wrong...try it again..."
See that's the attitude that makes people say things like "Cilantro Intolerents Intolerence is the last socially permissible predudice."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm

LostinReno wrote:
Boijoy wrote:how the hell do you live in Reno & not like cilantro?? It's on everything here!! and onions.

I LOVE onions!
@AntiM, soap...agreed!
I know they put it in everything and it annoys me. It's easy to skim it off the top of Vietnamese noodles (never knew cilantro was Vietnamese, why the hell is it in their soup??)

Could it be connected to the fact that it's also called "Chinese Parsley"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:35 am

ZenoBoy wrote:Can you get your hands on a vacuum sealer? That will change your life, like seeing Jesus on toast!

Premake your food, vacuum seal it, then freeze those mofos. Depending on what you make and if you need extra prep, garnish, etc. most of your time will only be spent boiling those bags in hot water. No mess, use the same water for multiple meals and have great food.

In years past I've made:
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chili
Avocado Cucumber soup
Hummus
Guac
Mixed Veggies
Mac n Cheese with Bacon
Watermelon Soup
Chicken Cacciatore
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Don't vacuum your buns)
Chinese Mushroom, Asparagus, Broccoli in soy sauce
Bruschetta w/ Tomatos, Basil & Fresh Mozz

Fresh fruit & veggies are going to be tough to keep if you arrive early in the week for a dinner on Friday.

It's kind of limitless but you have to keep it all frozen until you're ready. I typically cook up a bunch of rice and freeze them in small packets. Sometimes it's just easy to heat up rice, pour some soy sauce on it and eat it with bacon.

ohhhhhhh bacon.

Note to self:
After M&G follow Zenoboy home.
Keep an eye on his kitchen, randomly show up every time something smells good.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Karma » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 am

We do a pretty decent dinner every night, but Fri and Sat night dinners are the biggest cause we invite all our neighbors over and cook most EVERYTHING that's left.
This usually consists of Fish, ribs, steak, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, salad, bread and last year we threw crawfish bread into the mix ( a dish that anyone whos been to Jazzfest in New Orleans is probably familiar with).
Though we've always managed to eat like this on the Playa over the last decade thanks to a Foodsaver vacuum sealer (cant say enough about those) and keeping the coolers iced, the last few years we,ve had the added benefit of a fully loaded toy hauler.

Point being, with a foodsaver and a litle planning, you can pull off whatever you want on the Playa, whenever you want to do it.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Postby teardropper » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 am

AntiM wrote:Cilantro tastes like soap.

It took a long time before I could eat cilantro.

We do an informal pot luck a couple of times. Korean riblets, tritip, not very vegan, but those with vegan tastes can bring that. I like potlucks. Good variety.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Previous

Return to Food & Drink