Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

What to mix with vodka?

Postby Korwedge » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm looking for suggestions on what to mix with Vodka. What tastes best out on the playa? No Juice.

Redbull, fruit punch, kool aid, mountain dew, sprite or something else?
Korwedge

Postby bauhaus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 pm

purple drank
bauhaus

Re: What to mix with vodka?

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:36 am

Korwedge wrote:I'm looking for suggestions on what to mix with Vodka. What tastes best out on the playa? No Juice.

Redbull, fruit punch, kool aid, mountain dew, sprite or something else?

You dont need to mix it...bets way I know is the "Russian Cocaine"
lemon, coffee, sugar

The problem might be lemon skin, but this little garbage is worth the great drink it is :)
MisaBlue

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 am

MisaBlue wrote:You dont need to mix it...bets way I know is the "Russian Cocaine"
lemon, coffee, sugar

Misa- do you do a shot and then bite the lemon, or do you soak the sliced lemon in vodka?

Sounds strange but good.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 am

Eric, actually, it is better to bite the lemon first and then do the shot, so you can chew the lemon, coffee and sugar with vodka. It sounds very very strange. First time I thought it must be disgusting to get the coffee in mouth (it is the ground coffee you would use for Turkish coffee), but it is delicious and gives you energy (ha ha ha, you get the caffeine straight from coffee).

Of course you can do the shot first, but not many people are able to bite something while they have liquid in mouth....that sounds just weird :D
MisaBlue

Postby foofurr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 am

[quote="Korwedge"]I'm looking for suggestions on what to mix with Vodka. What tastes best out on the playa? No Juice.

Redbull, fruit punch, kool aid, mountain dew, sprite or something else?[/quote]

We use a lot of Vitamin Water Revive. Loaded with B vits and potassium, greatly reduces the hangover factor. You can get it in big bottles and mix from that or the 12 oz bottles and mix in the bottle, the bottle mouth is wide enough to allow for ice if necessary. Keep the lid with you, travels well.
foofurr

water bottle

Postby epic » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:47 am

Water bottle is way better then cup or mug cause they get dust inside and bottle with lid doesnt.
epic

Postby swampdog » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:51 am

Misa, you have the most wonderful sounding concoctions. I had a wonderful meal lately, beef crusted with coffee, with a soft poached egg on the side and a salad with bacon pieces. It was sort of a play on "breakfast on a plate", you had your steak and eggs, bacon, and coffee all together. Yum!

Epic - dust makes your beverage taste better.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Re: water bottle

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:54 am

epic wrote:Water bottle is way better then cup or mug cause they get dust inside and bottle with lid doesnt.

I decided to go with a covered cup. Easier for the bartender to pour into. Also easier to clean.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2017

Postby This Woman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I’m more than a week late, but a promise is a promise. My original intent in reviewing NRS 369 was to see what lawful methods there are in determining the age of a minor. In that, I was unsuccessful. Among other things, 369 established a commission to come up with the curriculum for certification, which costs not more than $40 and includes methods of preventing minors from obtaining alcohol (pursuant to NRS202 020, 030 and 055).

As far as I can tell, the only way to find out what LEO wants you to do to determine the age of minors is to fork out $40 and attend a class. That’s too burdensome for non-professionals, and in fact, only professional servers (and owners) are required to complete them.

What I already covered in an earlier post:

It is illegal for a minor to falsely represent self as adult in order to obtain liquor (NRS 202 040)

It is illegal to knowingly give alcohol to a minor (NRS 202 055)

What I didn’t cover:

It is illegal for a minor to possess alcohol in public (NRS 202 020)

It’s illegal for minors to hang out where liquor is sold. (NRS 202 030) This specifically applies where liquor is sold, and does not include broader language like possess, serve or furnish, etc. Despite what the party line says about no minors in bars, that only applies where the bars sell or barter alcohol. In Black Rock City, the line between home and bar is very blurry indeed. I admit I’m glad there are no minors in our camp this year.

From Section 369, Sale/sell defined and exemptions to law:

NRS 369.100 “Saleâ€
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

This woman

Postby epic » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:21 pm

This woman: Can't bartenders just card anyone who looks under 30 and refuse to serve them if they don't have proof of legal age?
Given that the median burner age is over 40 that doesn't seem too tough. Thats what bars and markets do and it seems to work.
On the bottles-I use bike water bottles cause they're easy to carry on the bike and keep the dust out.
epic

Postby This Woman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Epic, You bet. In fact, everyone gets to decide exactly how they want to handle it.

Some people, myself included, don’t want to have to turn away people that are probably of age, but don’t have their ID. I had hoped NRS 369 would specifically spell out the requirements for verifying age, and I further hoped it would say that the burden is not on me, the gifter).

It appears that law enforcement has the same expectations for gift bars at Burning Man that they do for licensed, retail bars. Can they do that? I don’t know. I think I'd have a good case against it. Is it worth it to find out? Hard to say. But it sounds like your idea would work just fine for you.

I still don’t know what I’m going to do. It’s easy enough to say I will not serve persons without acceptable ID here on eplaya. It’s more difficult in BRC. In past years, most people that I carded did not have IDs on them. Maybe that too, has changed.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:45 pm

This Woman, what do you wind up doing with respect to carding or not last year?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:27 pm

There is no legal requirement to card, only to NOT serve alcohol to minors. its your call as to whether or not you need to card. Also your ass that gets the ticket.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Turnip » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 pm

for this year I need to compile a list of camp locations that have the best bloody marys and margaritas!

Extra salty margaritas and super spicey bloody marys are the best on the playa. And I don't even like bloody marys in default. Or maybe none have compared to Lamplighters' in 2009?
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby TomServo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Turnip wrote:for this year I need to compile a list of camp locations that have the best bloody marys and margaritas!

Extra salty margaritas and super spicey bloody marys are the best on the playa. And I don't even like bloody marys in default. Or maybe none have compared to Lamplighters' in 2009?

Blood Bath & Beyond
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Packoderm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:42 am

It seemed to me that if I was out bar hopping with the intent to drink from the bars, I would sometimes go thirsty. If I was out just hanging around, the drinks seemed to pour freely. It was harder to get mixer than it was to get booze.
Packoderm

Postby FATCAMP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 am

how much alcohol do the bars usually go through??? what are some of the more unique brews, alcohols, cocktails...yadada...
I can't drink in class, so I dip hop cones ftw
FATCAMP

Postby TomServo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:22 am

Packoderm wrote:It seemed to me that if I was out bar hopping with the intent to drink from the bars, I would sometimes go thirsty. If I was out just hanging around, the drinks seemed to pour freely. It was harder to get mixer than it was to get booze.

ditto! mixers run out faster than booze! People forget the ratio of mixer plus booze!
TomServo

Postby TomServo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:25 am

FATCAMP wrote:how much alcohol do the bars usually go through??? what are some of the more unique brews, alcohols, cocktails...yadada...

depends on the camp. We ran through $1000 worth of alcohol, after 3 days.
TomServo

Postby FATCAMP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:46 am

$1000 of homemade or store bought?
I can't drink in class, so I dip hop cones ftw
FATCAMP

Postby Turnip » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 am

I didn't have any problem bar hopping! Then again I was a mostly topless 21 year old...

I suppose that throughout the week I gave away a bottle of grey goose and a bottle of UV blue raspberry vodka, so maybe karma was on my side by that point.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:17 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:This Woman, what do you wind up doing with respect to carding or not last year?

If I'm bartending, I card. The only people who have a problem with this are assholes. The good people understand and/or know to have some form of ID on them.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:25 am

TomServo wrote:
Packoderm wrote:It seemed to me that if I was out bar hopping with the intent to drink from the bars, I would sometimes go thirsty. If I was out just hanging around, the drinks seemed to pour freely. It was harder to get mixer than it was to get booze.

ditto! mixers run out faster than booze! People forget the ratio of mixer plus booze!

I bring mixer, gift mixer, drink mixer. everyone finds their niche.
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am

Elorrum wrote:
TomServo wrote:

I bring mixer, gift mixer, drink mixer. everyone finds their niche.

er, off topic... but a question. What is the universal mixer? or the most universal. I'm leaning towards 7up, sprite, which I usually gift. any ideas on something better? When I drank vodka (most bang for buck at times) I liked it with squirt.
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am

Cranberry and Orange (Cape Codders, Screwdrivers) are also fairly common.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 am

off topic i know but i just noticed this

Who do I have to turn into a toad to get a spot in this camp?? on C.F.M.'s signature does this mean s/he is one of those ticket stealing wizards i have been warned about?

just asking as i can't order my ticket for two more days. . . . . .
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 am

Oh graidawg, don't tell the ticket-stealing wizards when you are getting your tickets. It only makes you easier to target.

I suggest you run three times around the room, widdershins, and log in while you're upsidedown. That should take the psychic traces off that info.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:51 am

Elorrum wrote: What is the universal mixer? or the most universal. I'm leaning towards 7up, sprite, which I usually gift. any ideas on something better? When I drank vodka (most bang for buck at times) I liked it with squirt.

I would say orange juice.

Vodka, gin, rum, tequila = all go with orange juice.

Though I haven't tried it, I can't imagine whiskey and oj would be too bad.

ETA: Orange juice won't go flat, either. And it does have a modicum of nutrition, as opposed to soda.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Packoderm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:42 am

That gives me the idea of gifting mixer. However, I would not want to walk around the playa with a bunch of two liter bottles of Coke tied to my belt. Orange juice concentrate is good and compact, but it should be kept frozen. Any ideas?
Packoderm

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink