Bar hopping at Burning Man

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: maybe I missed it, but ...

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Lucian wrote:What did you offer for the drink ? A massage ? A gift ? A trick ? A kiss ?Anything ?

I've taken to the act of offering something with no expectation of return. And guess what ...

What are you bringing to the game ? Maybe plenty, but it's not clearly stated.

You ask for a drink, and if so inclined, give a gift. Could be a trinket or just help cleaning up. If the bar requires gifts, move on!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Cups and IDs!

Postby Storey's in crackpot land » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

this late in the thread it seems most people know whats up on the cups, however i learned my first burn that steel water bottles with a steel top are what i like the most, it closes, you can have big drinks or small drinks, you can attach a carabener (i cant spell) to the top and in the morning its really easy to wash out and it doenst smell forever of what was in it the night before. And last year i was really big on gin bloody marys and every morning when i washed it out...yummy clean cold water.

IDs this year: me and some friends are lamenting old ids and and making hemp or lanyard wallet-like-chains that you can attach to a belt loop and put in your pocket or sme place handy so you dont worry about A) losing it and B)taking forever to find it

just a thought.
Storey's in crackpot land

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am

I do the steel water bottle thing for my water. I'm not satisfied with my other drink system yet, but I love the steel water bottles. (I currently have 5; they are getting cheaper and I found one at a thrift store a few weeks back.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 am

As a bar tender, I'm not that wild about skinny necked water bottles and thermoses. I prefer gifting straight into a modest sized cup that can handle ice cubes and isn't some huge 16 oz vessel.

Another really good gift idea is to bring a sack full of magic markers and gift them to folks at the Temple. It is always so hard to find a working marker when you're out there.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

I don't know what the turn around is, but you can get the ubiquitous marker of drunken faces customized.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know what the turn around is, but you can get the ubiquitous marker of drunken faces customized.

Huh?
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know what the turn around is, but you can get the ubiquitous marker of drunken faces customized.

Huh?

Custom Sharpies
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks, Eric
(One does try and do word to the wise, non-commercial posting, but ...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Wide mouth water bottles....

Postby Storey's in crackpot land » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 pm

I found a couple wide mouth water bottles at wallgreens with steel caps at wallgreens in the gardening section, they're awesome! and it's not hard to pour or put ice in them they are bigger but when your making drinks for your self they last......sometimes hahahaha
Storey's in crackpot land

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Thanks, Eric

I've never had a problem referring someone somewhere, as long as we're not referring them to our own website to buy something. I think that's the "official" position.

Besides, with the vast knowledge of where-to-get-what on this board, I'd hate to see us hobbled!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby C187 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 am

I couldn't find my beloved sippie cup in the burn bin. So I picked up a 750ml stainless steel bottle I saw on sale. It's opening is about the same width as a shot-glass. Any good tips on cleaning something like this out?
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:41 am

C187 wrote:I couldn't find my beloved sippie cup in the burn bin. So I picked up a 750ml stainless steel bottle I saw on sale. It's opening is about the same width as a shot-glass. Any good tips on cleaning something like this out?

Bottle brush.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Thanks, Eric

I've never had a problem referring someone somewhere, as long as we're not referring them to our own website to buy something. I think that's the "official" position.

Besides, with the vast knowledge of where-to-get-what on this board, I'd hate to see us hobbled!

All true. And while thinking on some level that what I wrote was almost writing Sharpie [ in big red letters, some people have the specific knowledge in their heads and others don't.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:37 am

Bottle brush.

C, they have these in with either baby supplies (as they're the ones whose presence generally requires bottle brushes) or in with other household scrubbers on the cleaning aisles of stores.

I like to let my bottle sit full of hot water and dishsoap for a few minutes, then go to town with the bottle brush and then lots of rinsing.
Savannah

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Vodka can be used as a disinfectant. Just a thought... but carry one of those shot bottles of vodka, and a foam brush of sorts, for out and about cleaning of your container.

I've rinsed out other peoples cups, but id doubt all bars do.
TomServo

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 pm

TomServo wrote:Vodka can be used as a disinfectant. Just a thought... but carry one of those shot bottles of vodka, and a foam brush of sorts, for out and about cleaning of your container.

Or better still, Everclear. The real stuff, the kind you can buy outside of the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
kman

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 pm

kman wrote:
TomServo wrote:Vodka can be used as a disinfectant. Just a thought... but carry one of those shot bottles of vodka, and a foam brush of sorts, for out and about cleaning of your container.

Or better still, Everclear. The real stuff, the kind you can buy outside of the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Thought it was legalized here...? Used to be able to get it @ Camp Pendleton.

Ahhh! Real stuff
TomServo

Postby Savannah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:11 pm

For alcohol to be a true disinfectant, I've read that it should be 62% or stronger (like sanitizer . . . but look out, a lot of that stuff is scented). So rinsing with regular vodka (about 40% alcohol) is probably a waste of vodka, but everclear might indeed be worthwhile--if you hate everclear, that is. And I do. :)
Savannah

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:27 pm

No, its not rubbing alcohol, but better than water. I agree with the everclear idea. And I hate Everclear.
TomServo

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm

TomServo wrote:
kman wrote:

Ahhh! Real stuff

You can buy 154 proof Everclear here, but for the real stuff, the 190 proof stuff, you gotta go to AZ or NV (or whatever other non-CA state is closest).

Personally, I'd rather drink 154 rum than 154 Everclear, so for those rare occasions that I want to use Everclear, I make sure to trek out of state periodically just to keep it in stock. :-)
kman

Postby TomServo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

kman wrote:
TomServo wrote:
kman wrote:

Ahhh! Real stuff

You can buy 154 proof Everclear here, but for the real stuff, the 190 proof stuff, you gotta go to AZ or NV (or whatever other non-CA state is closest).

Personally, I'd rather drink 154 rum than 154 Everclear, so for those rare occasions that I want to use Everclear, I make sure to trek out of state periodically just to keep it in stock. :-)

I must have been thinking about Absinthe.....good thing were all going through NV.
TomServo

Postby Elorrum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm

I got some plastic specimen jars (yep, you are probably guessing right) to gift to cupless bar folk. They have a rough plastic area where you can write your name, room #, doctor, date and time... and a good tight screw on lid. 4 oz... I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the top for a string.
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby Peacebandchick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm

ArmadilloPuttanesca wrote:Hey everyone!

Thank you for supporting Ludo O'Dillo's Publick House!

Alas, our distributor ran out of the mugs with carabiner handles!

But wait! For every donation of $10 to the Pub, you'll receive a stainless steel mug with a lid! And we'll throw in a Ludo O'Dillo 2010 carabiner, so you can attach your mug to your camelbak, belt or nipple ring!

Check it out!

www.ludoodillo.com

See ya on the Playa! We'll be at 4:30 and Dublin, I mean Detroit![/img]

Ha! I just bought one of your mugs and emailed about sending it to me pre-burn! See you on the playa!!
Peacebandchick

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:18 am

I just bought a shit load of Rum 151 proof AND Everclear.....In Reno at *en's Liquor. (PM me if you need to ask where the lowest prices are, local here)

Apparently Everclear in Nevada is now only 151 proof...no longer 191 proof...new Nevada law I guess.

Everclear label says "must/should drink with mixer"...I'll light it on fire, burn most of the alcohol off, then add some mixer....if it still tastes like crap, I'll add some other good tasting booze....

The finished fire cocktail is a candied glass (prop not moop) and I modified it to work outdoors in wind at night, and also just for BM bars!

I can also do this awesome fire cocktail with topless woman on my shoulders pouring fire dust down while I spin two flaming glasses..flames 15++++ feet tall! Whoosh! Mind blowing! I did this fir a living in Vegas for many many years.... no promises though...need a stage and 3 guys to hold us up...(the modified BM version is very very good also! and tested on a Reno BM bar car already!)..but if timing is right I will try...been told I could grab a team and a stage and I'd do it early week, I hope :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am

PS I wanted to add/ask; can I post "need help doing amazing fire cocktail show" in data base or______? once on playa?

The woman on my shoulders cocktail show cannot be scheduled because winds/breeze may interfere. It has to be spontaneous. I'll want to do this early in the week, at night. I am in center camp.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:51 am

the closest place for 190 proof Everclear/Clearspring is Oregon.
not for sale in CA, AZ, NV.

Ask me and my 3 cases how we know.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby kman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

ygmir wrote:the closest place for 190 proof Everclear/Clearspring is Oregon.
not for sale in CA, AZ, NV.

Ask me and my 3 cases how we know.

When did NV and AZ change their laws? It's been a while, but those are the two states I always used to get my 190 Everclear from. Every time I hit Vegas (which used to be at least annually) and every time I hit Phoenix (which used to be every February).
kman

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:17 am

I don't know, when, I just know, in my searching for 190 proof, it took going to Oregon to get it.
Maybe it's county by county in NV and AZ, but, I don't think so.
seems I googled it at a point and found the info.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm a little afraid of 190 proof! the 151 stuff everclear and rum sure the fuck light up really well!!!! I hope you use some mixer with that ever clear.....never heard it called clearspring...interesting, I learn somethin' new here everday!
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm going to need a designated driver or two...LOL
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink