How much alcohol should one bring?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: How much alcohol should one bring?

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Kontradiction wrote:
AntiM wrote:Yep, and the costco here has it, even the base commissary carries it now and then. The glass bottles are not ideal to schlep around the playa though.

I know, but it's so tasty..yum. :/

Basically, single-serving glass bottles are not recommended because they create a lot of chances to break and scatter on the playa. If you bring glass, also bring a broom and a dustpan (they're good to have anyway) and be careful not to gift the bottles to anyone who looks unsteady. It is a kindness to allow people to drink it in your camp and return the bottle, as there are no public trashbins.

Glass overall is discouraged, but the best alcohol and soda is in glass, so minimize the amount you bring wherever possible, and you know . . . take precautions.

There's a reason why PBR is so popular out there. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re:

Postby Rabbette » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 pm

AntiM wrote:I can't have Bloody Marys, I'm allergic to tomatoes. And cheap sodas are loaded with sodium benzoate, makes me sick as a dog. Crap is in ginger ale and tonic water too, Sprite, diet sodas and most mixers. I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas. And orange juice. Yippee, huh?

I'm sensitive to most sodas as well and don't drink them. I am also having adverse effects from drinking water (it does not like to go down into my stomach) I'm thinking too much stomach acid, none the less. I have found a new appreciation for carbonated water, but only La Croix - which has no added sweeteners or sodium. I looked all through their website and I do not see any sodium benzoate. Might be worth a try if you wanted something like a Mojito. The ingredients listed on the can are: carbonated water. Not sure if that means nothing else is added, but might be worth an e-mail to them asking if they add any benzoate during the process.
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Savannah wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:
AntiM wrote:Yep, and the costco here has it, even the base commissary carries it now and then. The glass bottles are not ideal to schlep around the playa though.

I know, but it's so tasty..yum. :/

Basically, single-serving glass bottles are not recommended because they create a lot of chances to break and scatter on the playa. If you bring glass, also bring a broom and a dustpan (they're good to have anyway) and be careful not to gift the bottles to anyone who looks unsteady. It is a kindness to allow people to drink it in your camp and return the bottle, as there are no public trashbins.

Glass overall is discouraged, but the best alcohol and soda is in glass, so minimize the amount you bring wherever possible, and you know . . . take precautions.

There's a reason why PBR is so popular out there. :D

Got it, thanks AntiM and Savannah. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. We always bing a six pack of ice cold beer for gate and another one for greeters. If you don't want to have to wait in the ice lines, a six pack will get you right to the front of the line...just go in the out door and announce you have a cold six pack!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:31 pm

jkisha wrote:Oh, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this. We always bing a six pack of ice cold beer for gate and another one for greeters. If you don't want to have to wait in the ice lines, a six pack will get you right to the front of the line...just go in the out door and announce you have a cold six pack!

Hmm, great Ideas. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:10 pm

I have a Swiss military BDU jacket that has about 7 pockets in it.

I put a different alchohol in every pocket except one - in that pocket I have a second Jager.

I remember sitting at a bar and in a period of about 10 minutes I twice gave the bartender a bottle out of a pocket to make a drink.

I bring enough for about 3 refills per pocket.

I drink beer or Jager.

The rest is just handed out and I never have a problem finding what I drink for some odd reason.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Packoderm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm

I play it conservatively and buy an 18 pack of various brands of beer for each day on the playa, just a bottle or two of rum, some Kahlua, and a few 12 packs of Throwback Pepsi. I'd love to bring a case or two of Mexican Coke. I drink slow and steady all day on the playa and end up averaging an 18 pack per day, yet I've never had a hangover at Burning Man. I rarely drink at home in case I might give the impression of a lush.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:22 pm

This year I finally wised up & stopped bringing beer- I'm not a huge fan off the playa, I rarely finish one on the playa, why was I buying a case or two?

What I do bring is my own supply of drinks & mixers- top shelf vodka, good mixer. Even though we have a fantastic bar in camp, I prefer to try to at least start my night (or day) with my own booze. If our RV is far from the bar like it was this year, I'll refill at the bar; if it's close to the bar I'll refill from my own stash to save the bars booze for serving. I bring a handle or two of vodka for my use (and to share w/friends) another handle or two of less expensive vodka to gift bars. The mixer qty depends on what I'm craving: I usually have around 4 bottles of organic lemonade & at least one bottle of cranberry juice cocktail, but this year I found my lemonade on deep discount so I just brought 6 bottles of that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:I have a Swiss military BDU jacket that has about 7 pockets in it.

I put a different alchohol in every pocket except one - in that pocket I have a second Jager.

I remember sitting at a bar and in a period of about 10 minutes I twice gave the bartender a bottle out of a pocket to make a drink.

I drink beer or Jager.

The rest is just handed out and I never have a problem finding what I drink for some odd reason.

Now I know your soft spot. :)

Kontradiction

Re: Re:

Postby deutlich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:13 am

Rabbette wrote:I'm sensitive to most sodas as well and don't drink them. I am also having adverse effects from drinking water (it does not like to go down into my stomach) I'm thinking too much stomach acid, none the less. I have found a new appreciation for carbonated water, but only La Croix - which has no added sweeteners or sodium. I looked all through their website and I do not see any sodium benzoate. Might be worth a try if you wanted something like a Mojito. The ingredients listed on the can are: carbonated water. Not sure if that means nothing else is added, but might be worth an e-mail to them asking if they add any benzoate during the process.

La Croix helped me break my soda habit! In college, I'd plow through a 24-pack cube of Pepsi in 3 days. On my own... while staring at a computer screen and hanging out in another forum that no longer exists. My doctor's freaked OUT when I went in for a physical... ended up dropping 65 lbs and I am NOT kidding when I say La Croix had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge part in it. I hated water. Only drank soda and wasn't a big fan of a lot of "juices." It's got nothing but natural flavor and carbonated water. And I love. It.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby MOOP_Czar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:42 am

Kontradiction wrote:
MOOP_Czar wrote:I have a Swiss military BDU jacket that has about 7 pockets in it.

I drink beer or Jager.

Now I know your soft spot. :)

That has been taken care of.

I had a metal plate surgically implanted.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:52 am

deutlich wrote:
Rabbette wrote:I'm sensitive to most sodas as well and don't drink them. I am also having adverse effects from drinking water (it does not like to go down into my stomach) I'm thinking too much stomach acid, none the less. I have found a new appreciation for carbonated water, but only La Croix - which has no added sweeteners or sodium. I looked all through their website and I do not see any sodium benzoate. Might be worth a try if you wanted something like a Mojito. The ingredients listed on the can are: carbonated water. Not sure if that means nothing else is added, but might be worth an e-mail to them asking if they add any benzoate during the process.

La Croix helped me break my soda habit! In college, I'd plow through a 24-pack cube of Pepsi in 3 days. On my own... while staring at a computer screen and hanging out in another forum that no longer exists. My doctor's freaked OUT when I went in for a physical... ended up dropping 65 lbs and I am NOT kidding when I say La Croix had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge part in it. I hated water. Only drank soda and wasn't a big fan of a lot of "juices." It's got nothing but natural flavor and carbonated water. And I love. It.

We have an outlet store in town, they had La Croix three (or four) for a buck. Same outlet store sells Lofthouse cookies for a buck a box. Lifetime products too, which means folding plastic tables. Yay for business depots!

But I do like water, thanks to my dad who was too cheap to let us have sodas.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:21 pm

AntiM wrote:But I do like water, thanks to my dad who was too cheap to let us have sodas.

I grew up on sodas & sun-tea, I pretty much only drink water during the days now. At home I might have tea with dinner, very rarely wine or 1/2 a beer, otherwise just water (luckily SF has mighty tasty water!). Dinner out is a different story, and going out to clubs I can drink a lot of people under the table.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah, somehow he got my magical fish-drinking power.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, somehow he got my magical fish-drinking power.

Do you out drink other fish on-top of the table?

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby AntiM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:46 am

Eric wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, somehow he got my magical fish-drinking power.

Do you out drink other fish on-top of the table?

I used to have magical drinking powers when I was in the Navy, developed in Saudi Arabia by drinking Tang and Squeak, the homemade booze the cute Brits guys made in secret. Yowza. There's a slice of my life which brought shame to my parents.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 am

I realize that this is an old thread and has drifted a bit as well, but in case any newbies are looking for answers to the original question:

Bring twice as much as you normally drink in a heavy drinking week. We did and had very little left come exodus.

Beer is great during the day when in camp, but if beer makes you piss a lot remember that when you are out and about some places are a long way from the porta potties.

When out exploring we preferred straight booze as it took up less room in the pack, but your mileage may vary.

We found that next time we need to bring a lot more Jack Daniels and Vodka and a little less beer.

Regardless of what you drink, remember you still have to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby roastduck » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am

Since I'm not a big drinker, most of the alcohol i plan on bringing will be for gifting. Larger quantities for people who stop by my camp, and smaller bottles to give people as a token of appreciation (people in camps who provide services, like kitchens, bars, recycling, etc)
roastduck

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 am

I learned this year the value of cold champagne first thing in the mowning. Nothing quite so tasty. For next year, I'm bringing at least a case.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby TT120 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 pm

How much alcohol should one bring?

ALL of it.....
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:59 pm

I realize that this is an old thread and has drifted a bit as well, but in case any newbies are looking for answers to the original question:

No offense, ya'll...but every durned Thread on here gets off-topic somewhat-ish...

That's why it's so fun here. :P

Kontradiction

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:03 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I learned this year the value of cold champagne first thing in the mowning. Nothing quite so tasty. For next year, I'm bringing at least a case.

The sparkly/bubbly stuff has been my gf's drink of choice for the last few years. This year we did just that - a case (well, maybe a little more) of champagne & prosecco (italian stuff, which she's partial to), and always kept a bottle or two on ice. I'm not as big a fan as she is, but there are times when a glass of champagne, or a mimosa/bellini is just about perfect. We ended up not even getting through everything, which we take as a signal to step up our drinking a bit for next year :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm

trilobyte wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I learned this year the value of cold champagne first thing in the mowning. Nothing quite so tasty. For next year, I'm bringing at least a case.

The sparkly/bubbly stuff has been my gf's drink of choice for the last few years. This year we did just that - a case (well, maybe a little more) of champagne & prosecco (italian stuff, which she's partial to), and always kept a bottle or two on ice. I'm not as big a fan as she is, but there are times when a glass of champagne, or a mimosa/bellini is just about perfect. We ended up not even getting through everything, which we take as a signal to step up our drinking a bit for next year :)

I'd love some recommendations for brands, champagne is a fave of ours as well. Makes me want to construct some sort of champagne brunch for friends made in our Camp-

Kontradiction

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Kontradiction wrote:I'd love some recommendations for brands, champagne is a fave of ours as well. Makes me want to construct some sort of champagne brunch for friends made in our Camp-

A super good value that I've found is the Barefoot brand. It's like $5-$7 a bottle and super nice. Much better taste than the old standby.

Some of my most favorite stuff in the world is this. It's like $10/bottle ($7.99 online) and honestly I like it better than some of the $60-$70/bottle stuff. You can find it pretty regularly..

trilobyte wrote:We ended up not even getting through everything, which we take as a signal to step up our drinking a bit for next year :)

Or stepping up the gifting to random passer-byers on the street.. :D :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:32 pm

We had plenty of good food and drink to gift all through the week.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:I'd love some recommendations for brands, champagne is a fave of ours as well. Makes me want to construct some sort of champagne brunch for friends made in our Camp-

A super good value that I've found is the Barefoot brand. It's like $5-$7 a bottle and super nice. Much better taste than the old standby.

Some of my most favorite stuff in the world is this. It's like $10/bottle ($7.99 online) and honestly I like it better than some of the $60-$70/bottle stuff. You can find it pretty regularly..

trilobyte wrote:We ended up not even getting through everything, which we take as a signal to step up our drinking a bit for next year :)

Or stepping up the gifting to random passer-byers on the street.. :D :D

Great, thanks for the recommendations. I'm a fan of Veuve Cliquot (sp.?) but don't want the $50 price-tag-per for the Playa.

Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm

With TT120's new eyebrows, I think he will kill some threads.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 pm

What i learned about drinking on the Playa:

Keep it simple. No exotics, just GT BW RC and shots late. Bloody Mary's each morn. Beer after a dust storm. No wine. Baileys in the coffee. Don't load in the late afternoon or you'll never see the playa at night. That's about it.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 am

Kontradiction wrote:Great, thanks for the recommendations. I'm a fan of Veuve Cliquot (sp.?) but don't want the $50 price-tag-per for the Playa.

I'm a fan of Perrier-Jouet, but that's not gonna happen.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:22 am

Dr. Helix, you said "...no wine..." You may as well have said "No bacon."
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink