How much alcohol should one bring?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

How much alcohol should one bring?

Postby thefreshmaker » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:21 pm

How much alcohol should one person bring, and what is the best kinds of items to bring? Sizes etc?
"Life is a mirror, it reflects back to the thinker, what he thinks into it."
thefreshmaker

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Enough for yourself and to share with all your new friends. :) Better too much than not enough. :)

I liked drinking beer during the day and maybe a mixed drink or two in the evening. Lighter beers taste better to me when it's hot out so thats what I drank most of, and opened the good stuff in the late afternoon/evening.

As far as sharing, it's easier to share stuff in small containers versus big ones. Alot of people are suspicious of open containers. (you never know what someone might have put in it)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:16 pm

If you're running a bar, more than you plan to bring. If that is, indeed the case, keep it simple! Limit it to one or a few drinks.Bloody Marys are popular.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby barnz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 pm

2 and a half gallons per person per day.
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams
barnz

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:19 pm

BUY IT AT DUTY FREE!
It's like half price at the border. Bring one two six of something nice-ish, and 2 or 5 big bottles of cheap stuff.

Start the evening with the nice stuff, switch to the cheap stuff, and gift an extra bottle to your favourite bar, along with a 2L of mix. Or 2. Most bars run out of mix long before they run out of booze.

I love just using crystal light powder as mix with water and a good vodka. I'm easy like that :D

Kahlua or Bailey's is really nice to have in coffee. I also brought one bottle of wine and one bottle of Strawberry Daiquiri that I chilled and then mixed with ice in a blender to make AWESOME strawberry daiquris. Man it was great to have a camp with a blender.
trystanthegypsy

Postby geekster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Mixers end up in greater demand than booze. Our camp has come off the play with surpluses of booze for several years running. The ones that really work well in the desert are tonic water, things made with tonic water (e.g. schweppes bitter lemon, if you can find it) because tonic water reduces the body temperature. Squirt and Wink work well and has a lot of electrolytes (grapefruit soda).

Most end up the week out of mixers and with a lot of booze.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Re: How much alcohol should one bring?

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:40 pm

thefreshmaker wrote:How much alcohol should one person bring, and what is the best kinds of items to bring? Sizes etc?

I thought you were selling your tickets...........did you save two, so, you can come?
Or, am I mistaken,.......again...........?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm all about the mixers these days... will be sure to have a supply of carbonated beverages of many types. Tang and powdered drinks are dependable when sodas run low. I miss the mango orange "cordial" (concentrated juice syrup in a bottle) drinks of the south pacific.... Schweppes also made a great orange mango soda.
Consider that not everyone you meet will be drinking alcohol... shock I know. It's a whole lot of fun without it, and no hangovers.
Elorrum

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm

TomServo wrote:If you're running a bar, more than you plan to bring. If that is, indeed the case, keep it simple! Limit it to one or a few drinks.Bloody Marys are popular.

I don't understand this. I think Bloody Marys and Ceasars are absolutely disgusting, and apparently ceasars are the only kind of drink that hides the taste of GHB.
trystanthegypsy

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:18 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:
TomServo wrote:If you're running a bar, more than you plan to bring. If that is, indeed the case, keep it simple! Limit it to one or a few drinks.Bloody Marys are popular.

I don't understand this. I think Bloody Marys and Ceasars are absolutely disgusting, and apparently ceasars are the only kind of drink that hides the taste of GHB.

I thought it was cranberry juice. Anyways, I've only seen signs up, asking for Bloody Mary mix towards the end of the week. Slipping GHB is just plain fucked up!
TomServo

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 am

I can't have Bloody Marys, I'm allergic to tomatoes. And cheap sodas are loaded with sodium benzoate, makes me sick as a dog. Crap is in ginger ale and tonic water too, Sprite, diet sodas and most mixers. I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas. And orange juice. Yippee, huh?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:03 am

Bummer! I've found that anything with tomatoes is good out there. Cuts through playa mouth really well! Along with brushing your teeth.
TomServo

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:13 am

AntiM wrote:I can't have Bloody Marys, I'm allergic to tomatoes. And cheap sodas are loaded with sodium benzoate, makes me sick as a dog. Crap is in ginger ale and tonic water too, Sprite, diet sodas and most mixers. I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas. And orange juice. Yippee, huh?

Un for all , all for Un. 7 up the uncola!
Elorrum

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:21 am

Elorrum wrote:
AntiM wrote:I can't have Bloody Marys, I'm allergic to tomatoes. And cheap sodas are loaded with sodium benzoate, makes me sick as a dog. Crap is in ginger ale and tonic water too, Sprite, diet sodas and most mixers. I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas. And orange juice. Yippee, huh?

Un for all , all for Un. 7 up the uncola!

I love orange juice as mixer, even the cheap "orange beverage" or tang or whatever... goes with gin, vodka, rum, anything. mmmhmm.
trystanthegypsy

Postby shiznicks1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:41 pm

I think the list for this year will be two 30 packs of tecate, 1 handle of cheap vodka, 1 handle of cheaper whiskey, and of course, +or- 5 bottles of $2 wine for the quick pick me up around blast off time. Hopefully the generous scattered bars will take care of the rest.
Interloper Camp 2010, come one, come all
shiznicks1

Postby LostinReno » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:51 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:BUY IT AT DUTY FREE!
It's like half price at the border. Bring one two six of something nice-ish, and 2 or 5 big bottles of cheap stuff.

Not sure if you're headed through Reno or not, but hard alcohol is maybe a buck or two more at the discount places (Costco, Ben's, Wally, etc.) in Nevada. For as stupid as our maryjane laws are, they like to keep us drunk cheaply. lol! Fernley also has a Wally. (If you need more than your two bottles :wink: )
Patron silver was only a buck cheaper at Duty Free than our local Costco. :(
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ibdave » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:05 pm

thefreshmaker wrote:How much alcohol should one person bring, and what is the best kinds of items to bring? Sizes etc?

How many new Friends do you want??? 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Long enough to reach the ground.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby geekster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:46 pm

" I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas."

Safeway and Trader Joe's both have a very good "Blood Orange" soda. That stuff is AWESOME. Might have a look at it. My Safeway doesn't stock it with the sodas, they stock it with the pre-mixed ice tea and stuff, like with the gallon jugs of Arizona. It comes in a one-liter bottle with a screw cap.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm

The OP is riding with us...he's going to be buying his liquor in Alturas...as much as he wants!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:17 pm

geekster wrote:" I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas."

Safeway and Trader Joe's both have a very good "Blood Orange" soda. That stuff is AWESOME. Might have a look at it. My Safeway doesn't stock it with the sodas, they stock it with the pre-mixed ice tea and stuff, like with the gallon jugs of Arizona. It comes in a one-liter bottle with a screw cap.

Blood orange soda sounds great! I'll keep that in mind when I'm in Hawaii, where we do shop Safeway. Utah? No Safeway, no Trader Joe's. Ogden doesn't even have a Whole foods or Wild Oats like Salt Lake. Sigh....
AntiM

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:39 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I love orange juice as mixer, even the cheap "orange beverage" or tang or whatever... goes with gin, vodka, rum, anything. mmmhmm.

Tang is almost always popular.

Dr Pepper is still made with sugar at one place in texas.

Coffee syrup makes an interesting mixer.

http://www.autocrat.com/
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:19 pm

AntiM wrote:
geekster wrote:" I'm stuck with full sugar coke or pepsi, and 7-up, or over-priced "organic" sodas."

Blood orange soda sounds great! I'll keep that in mind when I'm in Hawaii, where we do shop Safeway. Utah? No Safeway, no Trader Joe's. Ogden doesn't even have a Whole foods or Wild Oats like Salt Lake. Sigh....

You might be able to buy the "organic" sodas (thinking specifically of Hansen's which--perhaps because of the disease--has a certain level of availability) by the flat (24 cans) through "Medusa.com." I find that certain kinds of shopping end up relying more on other people and so I do that for conveineice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 pm

We have a tiny store called Good Earth. A little spendy. I like the Stevia brand, Zevia. Hansen's is good, but too sugary for the playa. I don't care for their sugar frees. I also have access to Blue Sky, meh. And Knudsen's spritzers are wonderful, but weigh in at 36 grams of sugar.
AntiM

Postby gidget » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:28 pm

I just discovered the glory of the Liquor Expo in Montague, CA. It's a mall of cheap booze! Drove through on the way back from Reno (it was organize the BM storage unit weekend!) and prices were $1-$5 less than in NV, $3-$10+ less than in my lovely prohibitionist OR. I am through buying liquor in Oregon, it is worth the drive!
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:30 pm

is that the one right by the I-5 freeway?

and:
you can't get 190 proof everclear in CA...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gidget » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:35 pm

ygmir wrote:is that the one right by the I-5 freeway?

and:
you can't get 190 proof everclear in CA...........

Yup! between Yreka and Weed... across the freeway and just south of the metal cow and the State of Jefferson hay barn...

I don't drink everclear so....
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Re:

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Costco here in Los Angeles sells Mexican Coke, (Coca-Cola) it's made with sugar. Amazing stuff. Have you tried that?
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby AntiM » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:36 am

Yep, and the costco here has it, even the base commissary carries it now and then. The glass bottles are not ideal to schlep around the playa though.
AntiM

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

AntiM wrote:Yep, and the costco here has it, even the base commissary carries it now and then. The glass bottles are not ideal to schlep around the playa though.

I know, but it's so tasty..yum. :/
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Next

Return to Food & Drink