Playa "safe" cake covering?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Playa "safe" cake covering?

Postby sylvenwolf » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi there,

We are working on a big cake structure with some alcohol dispensers worked into it that will be sent down to the playa this year. All looks good in design land except that we are having a hard time finding information on high temperature cake coverings.

I was wondering if anyone knows of high temperature stabilizers for fondant or other types of edible cake coverings? (Edible foil could be used on the outside of this sucker, but would need to high temp proof the attaching layer, etc.) Any yummy, pretty options that won't need stabilizers?

Also, anyone have experience with such things on playa and have tips/tricks for keeping the cake plus covering fairly safe, from transport to bar table? - thinking about freezing it in two halves beforeheand and sending down in dry ice filled cooler - not quite sure what to wrap it in to keep it safe while freezing if we do that, etc.

Thanks much : - )
Heather
sylvenwolf

Postby PugRay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey Heather!
Yummy Sweets! A topic nearest my heart..
Have you thought of an outer layer of meringue? It seems like it would offer protection in many ways: withstand direct sunlight, hold its form, and even keep the center moist and grit free.
Here... Enjoy a cupcake from Sugar Bliss ;)
"The truth is incontrovertible.
Malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is."

~Winston Churchill~
PugRay

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:48 pm

ImageImageImage
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 am

make it out of wood....duh
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby FaeTora » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 am

Do what the army did, Sugar shells. The original purpose of M&M's was to withstand heat and go into the armed forces packs when they were shipped out.

Why do I know such useless things?

Good Luck! I'll admire from afar.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Final choice: marzipan

Postby sylvenwolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks to all for your input - (esp the meringue, which I won't be using for the playa cake, but will be using for nummy cake coverings in the future - great idea!) - Even the ding dongs were considered ; - ) - After some goopy and greasy experimenting, I decided on thinly rolled eggless marzipan - possibly with a glazed shell (like the army) for shininess and protection - maybe even with some gold or silver foil on parts, connected to LEDs and a battery, if we have time to get all Instructables on its design.

If you want to check it out/taste it, and this is successful (big if - still working out freezer configuration possibilities for b4 transport ; - )) this will be set up one of the early days in the bar @ the Golden Cafe, around 7:30 and playa - only the peeps able to make it on playa will know details.

Thanks again!
Eleu
sylvenwolf

Return to Food & Drink