*The Best Water Storage?*

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

*The Best Water Storage?*

Postby thk127 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:11 am

I was wondering how most people store their water at Burning Man. I know there are tons of ways to store water, but on the Playa what’s the most efficient way?
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 am

I use 30 gal. opaque, HDPE barrels, and, the HDPE water tanks in my trailer.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am

We use a combination of 15 gal., 5 gal, 2.5 suitcases and a few gallon jugs. That way if one springs a leak or gets contaminated, you have back up. The gallon jugs are great for hauling greywater back out if needed.

We tried the 55 gal drum. What a pain in the ass for a smaller camp.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 am

We're gonna run with the 7 gallon aquatainers this year,

In price shopping them, we found that the evil empire of Wal Mart is selling them in the $8 range vs $16 to $20 everywhere else for them.

I built out the bed deck in the bus with these specifically in mind and we can ride up to 21 of them in their own little hidden space centered over the rear axle to carry the weight.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:21 am

I don't need much, so I have a mix of stuff. Frozen plastic water bottles are nice instead of ice the first few days. You don't have to deal with any grey water. I'll also bring a couple of larger containers (gerry cans) for washing or refilling my camelbak.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby kman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 am

I bring standard 5 gallon water bottles (like the Sparkletts bottles on the water cooler at work). A small hand pump pulls the water up and out. The empties can be used for gray water, or left ... empty. Re-use them the following year, or years, or recycle them back to your water supplier.

I bring the empties with me for the long drive from LA (ensuring I have room!), and fill them at the water shop closest to the playa, to minimize fuel consumption. Just careful of weight distribution.

Note that the 5 gal bottles with the handles (see below) are a lot easier to move around, BUT that handle is a failure point. I've seen them break off, and it sucks to lose that much water at once. I tend to have a couple with handles, that get moved around more often, and a base of plain bottles that I can rely on.

kman

Postby phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:21 am

I'd say there's no one efficient way for one camp. Water weighs about 8.5 lbs per gallon, so I don't use big containers - they're too heavy for us to manipulate. But big is relative.

Try different stuff based on the comments here and see what works for you. But remember how much weight you're putting in your vehicle with each gallon.
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 am

Suitcases.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm not getting the point of any containers larger than 1 gallon. The 1 gallons are free (with the water), lightweight, and 4 of them fit into a plastic milk crate. If one breaks or leaks, no biggie. And they are BPH-free.
Bling

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Bling wrote:I'm not getting the point of any containers larger than 1 gallon.

If you camp alone & don't share water, that may work for you. But figure in a larger camp environment, those 1 gallon jugs add up to a lot of space (2-3 gallons per person, per day over 5-7 days......)

Our RV has found that, for us, the 2.5 gallon suitcases work really well. We keep the shower & bathroom open until Reno, then load those up with the suitcases. With 5 people in the RV we go through 3-4 a day. That would be 70+/- one gallon jugs, or 28+/- suitcases.

For actual space they take up they're about the same. For the ease in transporting, stocking & moving around..? Suitcases win in a landslide (again, for us. YMMV)

For larger camps & communal kitchens the 1 gallon jugs and suitcases become even more of an issue. For them it's easier to deal with the barrels.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 pm

I keep my water in shot glasses
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Eric wrote:If you camp alone & don't share water, that may work for you. But figure in a larger camp environment, those 1 gallon jugs add up to a lot of space (2-3 gallons per person, per day over 5-7 days......)

Ahhh. Thanks! We're camping with a group, but everyone's on their own for food & water, so I was thinking small. :D
Bling

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Bling wrote:
Eric wrote:If you camp alone & don't share water, that may work for you. But figure in a larger camp environment, those 1 gallon jugs add up to a lot of space (2-3 gallons per person, per day over 5-7 days......)

Ahhh. Thanks! We're camping with a group, but everyone's on their own for food & water, so I was thinking small. :D

Even for just yourself the suitcases might be easier to deal with.

Figure it this way:
Each day: 2-3 gallons per person
5 days= 10-15 gallons per person total (adjust for the days you're attending)

Thats around 15 individual gallon jugs or just 6 suitcases at 2.5 gallons.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah, but we'd have to buy the suitcases, so even at $10 each, there's another $60, plus they'd weigh 20 lbs. apiece, which is a pain in the ass for things like filling the solar shower bag or the camelbaks. And then we'd have to store them when we're not using them. Any container that holds water tends to build up biofilm (slime) that's hard to clean...

Nah, we're good. 8)
Bling

Postby kman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm

This was not the answer we chose on our second year. ;)

Image Image
kman

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Does it really take up that much less space to use larger containers, though? How many people was that for? We're planning on 48 gallons (12 crates of 4 jugs) for 3 of us.
Bling

Postby kman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Eric, when you say "2.5 gal suitcase" do you mean the "2.5 gal rectangular jugs with handles" that you get at the local grocery store, like these?

Or are you referring to some aftermarket 2.5 gal water container that you buy separately and fill yourself?
kman

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

7 gallon containers and the suitcases like Kman posted is what I've had the best of luck with. The large blue cube Reliance water containers have given me trouble and are a pain to store so I got rid of those. The container above is pretty tough and I've used them as tie down points to secure a tent in a pinch thanks to the dual handles.

That being said I wish I could find a larger bulk water solution that was easier to handle...a 55 gallon drum is a royal PITA.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:07 pm

kman wrote:Eric, when you say "2.5 gal suitcase" do you mean the "2.5 gal rectangular jugs with handles" that you get at the local grocery store, like these?

Or are you referring to some aftermarket 2.5 gal water container that you buy separately and fill yourself?

Two of these fit in a milk crate. In a pinch, the empties cut in half make a good foot bath.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:09 pm

yes, kman, that is a picture of a suitcase.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby kman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Interesting, never heard them referred to that way before.

... and knowing is half the battle! :P
kman

Postby thk127 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 pm

So the single Gallon idea is a bad one. Looks like the 2.5 "suitcase" is the best idea so far, it probably stacks better than the single gallons. Does anyone have a pix to compare to KMAN'S? Cuz that's what i was thinking the inside of my car might look like... LOL.
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
thk127

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

We're still going with single gallons for our small group. It's only a bad idea if you try to do it for a large group.
Bling

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:37 pm

kman wrote:Eric, when you say "2.5 gal suitcase" do you mean the "2.5 gal rectangular jugs with handles" that you get at the local grocery store, like these?

these are good because they can be stored with the spout UP, then placed as shown when you want water. this prevents wastage from leaving the spigot dripping. also do not spike them to get faster flow. they can be used for grey water( used dishwater, foot bath water, etc.) removal. also today's rinse water is tomorrow's wash water
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:37 pm

So can 1 gallons. :D
Bling

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 pm

I prefer to use the 250 gallon tote for most of my watering needs.
Only one jug and I never seem to run out of water.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bling » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 pm

So, it weighs a TON? Where do you keep it?
Bling

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 pm

It all stays in the jug.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Gage » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:03 am

We froze 15 1-gallon water jugs and kept them in our dry ice cooler at the vent. Then each day we would pull 2 jugs out, put then in our smaller frig-temp cooler to keep things cool, then set them out to thaw more for drinking. Freezer-support to Frig-support to drinkable water.

Just be careful when you freeze them in your freezer. The jugs expand, and once they froze, we had a hard time getting them out! Ahahahaha!! It was like watching Rasputia slide down that water slide... We had to wedge them out, but when we did, they came SHOOTING out! ;)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby Jackass » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:54 am

Kinetic V wrote:
7 gallon containers and the suitcases like Kman posted is what I've had the best of luck with. The large blue cube Reliance water containers have given me trouble and are a pain to store so I got rid of those. The container above is pretty tough and I've used them as tie down points to secure a tent in a pinch thanks to the dual handles.

That being said I wish I could find a larger bulk water solution that was easier to handle...a 55 gallon drum is a royal PITA.

I've found 15 gal. food grade plastic barrels(used) in my area for $10, two bungs on one end so you can put a spigot on it.. still 120lbs. when full. Probably find some on the web, I'm using mine for wash and shower, and saving the good stuff for consumption :)
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Next

Return to Food & Drink