Make Your Own "Instant" Coffee In Jumbo TeaBags

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Make Your Own "Instant" Coffee In Jumbo TeaBags

Postby EmilyD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 am

I know I posted something about this (maybe on the tribe instead of here...can't remember) but I've already tested it out and it works great. I drink half-caff (because of stomach issues) and I have a wonderful stainless steel French press that I don't want to deal with on the Playa. I'm also a coffee snob so I don't want to use Folgers or some crap like that NOR do I want to give Starbucks any more money. So...I'll be making some half-caff coffee bags for myself using these things...

They have three sizes but this seems to be the largest one:

http://www.englishteastore.com/tsacsize ... elid=FROOG

I take one of these tea sacs, put a scoop of coffee into it, fold the top over 2 times and staple it closed. Cover with boiled water, just like you would a teabag. You can leave it in as long or little as you like. It brews faster than tea. If you increase the amount of coffee and you can get many cups (or even brew a pot) out of one bag.

When it's done, dry it out, (what'll that take 10 minutes in the Playa?) then just drop it into your compost collection to take home (or solid waste if you're not composting).
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Remark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:49 am

If you try this, remember she said "boiled" water not boiling water. boil the water and let it sit, off heat, for a minute or two. Do a pre-playa taste test, there is a difference in taste. I boil water, turn off heat, grind coffee, add to press and water is perfect temperature.

Where Em and I part ways is I'll sacrifice a $10-15 Bodum. Cheap presses work great for me. Its the size of the grounds (coarse & even).
Remark

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 am

I just use an ordinary coffeemaker. The things are like $12.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby ConnieH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am

great idea, but couldn't you just use a regular cone coffee filter in the same manner, for a lot less cost?

I can't stand the Starbuck's instant coffee, that stuff tastes just like Folgers, to me. The only instant coffee I like is the instant espresso with gobs of creamer and sugar :lol:
ConnieH

Postby lambert13 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Connie: Cafe Bustelo is a great brand of instant espresso style coffee that you might want to give a try. Availability might be tricky though. We can get it in stores around here, but a lot of my friends living elsewhere can't.

It is so much better than any other instant I have tried. I brew their regular ground coffee every day and love it. The instant works well when I don't have access to a coffee maker.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby EmilyD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Remark wrote:If you try this, remember she said "boiled" water not boiling water. boil the water and let it sit, off heat, for a minute or two. Do a pre-playa taste test, there is a difference in taste. I boil water, turn off heat, grind coffee, add to press and water is perfect temperature.

Where Em and I part ways is I'll sacrifice a $10-15 Bodum. Cheap presses work great for me. Its the size of the grounds (coarse & even).

Actually I'm not at all worried about bringing my stainless press (also a Bodum) to the Playa. It's the grounds, and using extra water to rinse the pot, that I don't want to deal with. This is just a traveling solution, not for everyday at home, at least for me.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

ConnieH wrote:great idea, but couldn't you just use a regular cone coffee filter in the same manner, for a lot less cost?

Yes, though I haven't done it myself. I found this discussion about it:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66030381.tip.html
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:52 pm

lambert13 wrote:Connie: Cafe Bustelo is a great brand of instant espresso style coffee that you might want to give a try. Availability might be tricky though. We can get it in stores around here, but a lot of my friends living elsewhere can't.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it.
EmilyD

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Hehe hehe...you said TeaBag.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ConnieH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I'll look for Cafe Bustelo, thanks...the brand that's readily available here is Medaglia D'Oro. Some of my friends hate it, but I like strong coffee and it doesn't have as much of that "instant" flavor as Folgers or Nescafe (or Starbucks!). It's my camping staple - I have a french press, but hate dealing with the grounds unless I'm somewhere with running water or just a one-nighter. I'm right there with Emily - no way do I want to deal with french press grounds on the playa :P
ConnieH

Postby EmilyD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 pm

ConnieH wrote: I'm right there with Emily - no way do I want to deal with french press grounds on the playa :P

PLUS...my favorite camping tool, a Britta water pitcher!
EmilyD

Postby lambert13 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

ConnieH wrote:I'll look for Cafe Bustelo, thanks...the brand that's readily available here is Medaglia D'Oro. Some of my friends hate it, but I like strong coffee and it doesn't have as much of that "instant" flavor as Folgers or Nescafe (or Starbucks!). It's my camping staple - I have a french press, but hate dealing with the grounds unless I'm somewhere with running water or just a one-nighter. I'm right there with Emily - no way do I want to deal with french press grounds on the playa :P

Actually, the company that produces Cafe Bustelo is that same responsible for Medaglia D'Oro! Cafe Bustelo is usually found in the Hispanic aisle of the grocery store if it is not in the aisle with all the other coffee.

Looks like I should try the Medaglia D'Oro as well. I know I have seen it in stores around here.

The website below which is the main site for all these brands sells Medaglia D'oro instant espresso! The Cafe Bustelo instant is also sold there.

http://www.javacabana.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=4
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm

I just love anything coffee related EmilyD :D ! Thanks for the 'quick-fix' idea for playa morning when don't want to run the Gennie quite yet. We had a box of the Folger coffee pod teabags gifted one year, and used the whole box (as we were desperatily close to runnin' out of java) to make a big 1 gallon pot of brew...damn...the coffee tasted like a wet newspaper with all the mini-filter bags :oops: But by making your own mini packets (i.e.- fresher unbleached brown paper filters & fresher ground coffee of choice) might just be a "by-the-cup" miracle 8)
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

And remember... it's one part coffee, one part Irish whiskey, one part Kahlua, one part Bailey's.
Captain Goddammit

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Good call Capt., Irish style :D
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 am

CLARKcon wrote:I just love anything coffee related EmilyD :D ! Thanks for the 'quick-fix' idea for playa morning when don't want to run the Gennie quite yet. We had a box of the Folger coffee pod teabags gifted one year, and used the whole box (as we were desperatily close to runnin' out of java) to make a big 1 gallon pot of brew...damn...the coffee tasted like a wet newspaper with all the mini-filter bags :oops: But by making your own mini packets (i.e.- fresher unbleached brown paper filters & fresher ground coffee of choice) might just be a "by-the-cup" miracle 8)

Yeah CLARKcon, I just got the box of jumbo bags I ordered. This'll make a kick ass strong cup of coffee, especially if we bring ground espresso! Here's the link to what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EM ... ss_product
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:And remember... it's one part coffee, one part Irish whiskey, one part Kahlua, one part Bailey's.

MMMMMMM *hic* Happy St Paddy's day a wee tad early then.
EmilyD

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:27 pm

That's what the stuff is that I hand you from the back of boat in a coffee cup, called "Joe's joe".
Captain Goddammit

Return to Food & Drink