Big rental water tanks?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Big rental water tanks?

Postby whaleboy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 am

Anyone rented one of those gigantic hippo tanks that you have dropped off and filled, picked up at the end? My camp is going to be doing some water-intensive stuff this year, seems like the easiest way to do it. something in the 3-500 gallon range.

Anyone done this, suggest a vendor?
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Postby Craftsmn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm

WOW I want one of these solar powered port-a-poties

http://www.unitedsiteservices.com/porta ... rooms.html

Craftsmn

Postby epic_elite » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 pm

i was just thinking...

my wife and i were at a brewery last week and out in the warehouse i saw a giant water tank (cuz beer is made from water... you know?) mounted onto a pallet with a cage around it for support. it was about 4 ft by 4 ft and about 3 ft tall. it was pallet mounted to be moved with a forklift.

we were wondering if anyone has ever brought one of those to burning man :P

...not that *I* would ever need/want to bring one. but i imagine some of the theme camps would find something like that SUPER handy. (assuming they had access to lift equipment).
epic_elite

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:44 pm

MOD NOTE -

Your going to have to PM the names of particular companies, or PM me for the list.

The two posts I dumped came across as ads. I could be wrong, but errored on the side of no commerce.

MDMF007
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:14 pm

epic_elite wrote:...we were wondering if anyone has ever brought one of those to burning man...

I brought one down last year for a friend's camp...350 gallons IIRC. They used a Gradall with forks to pick it off my trailer full and all. Filled it up in Fernley at the Chevron. Took about the same time as it took to fill all my fuel tanks! They come with a bottom valve for accessing the water.

They purchased it on Craig's list for cheap ($75 IIRC)

YMMV
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby TomServo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Don't know how the 350 gallon container would effect a 4 wheeler, but we run our tankers full. They are food grade, so don't have baffles. A half full or partially full tanker will push a big rig into an intersection, if stopped too quickly.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12 pm

half-full does sound scary...mine was empty til Fernley, Full from there to BM, and empty coming home.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby TomServo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm

That's an important tip, when hauling water..empty or full, is a lot easier and safer to haul than a half full container. Well a large capacity container anyways... while its not thousands of gallons, 350 gallons pulled by a 4 Wheeler, is over2,800lbs...proportional to a big rig, that's equipped with airbrakes on both tractor and trailer...
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 am

Free Surface Effect = Trucks on their side.

Full or empty, try not to transport a tank in between, unless it is sufficiently baffled. If it is baffled though, its not food grade. You have to have 100% access to all cells and areas for cleaning and sterilization.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 am

mdmf007 wrote:MOD NOTE -

Your going to have to PM the names of particular companies, or PM me for the list.

The two posts I dumped came across as ads. I could be wrong, but errored on the side of no commerce.

MDMF007

Mine was dumped...not an ad. REally the only company you'll likely be able to get to do it. They've swallowed up all the others and that's the company the ORG uses as well, so they are already out there.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Food & Drink