ok so..some maybe obvious questions..

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

ok so..some maybe obvious questions..

Postby jakkimaguire » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Water and transport :S?
ok, so i am from the uk and am going to be coming to BM this year for the first time, and there are some things i need to figure out
my questions are
where will i be able to purchas a lot of water in Reno?
How much is a good amount to take, i was wondering if ppl use more than what they thought?
and also is it common for ppl to just turn up in Reno and hope for the best that somebody maybe nice enough to let me get a ride with them to BM?
thanks guys
jakkimaguire

Postby phil » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Stop by Louise's Reno pages and browse around:
http://civilizedexplorer.pbworks.com/CivExReno
You'll find places to buy water, food, bikes, whatever you need; places to stay; places to eat while you're there.

Instead of waiting to see if someone in Reno is going your way, ask around here (someone will answer this for you already) for ride boards, ride sharing, the local bus to the playa, etc. You can have your ride all set up before you even leave the UK.

Check this page:
http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
for information on how much water and more. Follow all the links on that page. It will save your life.

Welcome to the playa. You'll have the best time of your life.
phil

Re: ok so..some maybe obvious questions..

Postby TomServo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:32 pm

jakkimaguire wrote:Water and transport :S?
ok, so i am from the uk and am going to be coming to BM this year for the first time, and there are some things i need to figure out
my questions are
How much is a good amount to take, i was wondering if ppl use more than what they thought?
and also is it common for ppl to just turn up in Reno and hope for the best that somebody maybe nice enough to let me get a ride with them to BM?
thanks guys

Read the required reading. The grocery stores, sometimes just place them on the floor, still on pallets. Buy bulk shit in Reno, NOT Empire! 2 gallons of drinking water per day.. I think.. keep the ice you buy @ burning man kinda clean, and use the water after it melts.

Yes people use way more than they thought they would, especially with food. However some people may feel differently. I won't insult them here.

Showing up and hoping is an expensive risk. Plan ahead!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Re: ok so..some maybe obvious questions..

Postby scotto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:58 am

jakkimaguire wrote:Water and transport :S?
How much is a good amount to take?

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... water.html
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby jakkimaguire » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:46 am

thanks guys for all ur help i have read all the information and it has really helped me out, but one more question is for those of u that know Reno And the airport, are any of the super markets that sell the water within walking distance form the airport, cos i was speaking to my friend she hasnt been to Reno but she has been all around california and LA and she said everything is really far and spread out and u need a car, ha in my head i think i can just walk out the airport and be in the shop, in the uk everything is so near as its a small place
jakkimaguire

Postby phil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm

> are any of the super markets that sell the water within walking
> distance form the airport

No. Louise's web pages have links to google maps so you can see where things are vis-a-vis each other and get a feel for the distances. You'll need to plan on whoever gives you a ride also letting you do your shopping. This is an accepted practice for people giving rides to people flying in.

Alternatively, you can use Twin City Surplus:
http://www.twincitysurplus.com/
They usually have a Burner plan where they'll provide you with all your gear and even water in containers for a set price. Then all you'll need is food. Drop Twin City Surplus an email from their Web site and ask if they'll be doing Burner specials for 2010. It may be that you can get stuff cheaper by shopping around, but if you don't have a car, the convenience of one stop may balance a slightly higher cost. Up to you.
phil

Postby jakkimaguire » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm

thanks phil that is a great help i kno these all seem like silly questions but the other stuff i have got sorted in my head! i was thinking that it would be rude to ask someone to run me around to do shopping ha but if its ok then i guess i will have to do it that way but if this place maybe does all the stuff i will need apart from food i think i will do that.
jakkimaguire

Postby teardropper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 am

I brought 19 gallons for two of us just for drinking and cooking. Used about 15 and stayed hydrated. Are you going to wash with this, too? My solar shower uses 3 gallons per. Plan dishes that don't require cleanup. Or (shudder, non green solution) some paper plates. But for you that would make an extra chore of disposal, though you can burn the paper. Wipes in a box can ease your water strain and can work well. Also Dr. Bronners in a spray bottle, clear water in another and a good wipe or washcloth can keep you pretty fresh. The peppermint in it tingles and leaves you fresh and smelling good.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:20 am

Be careful if you use wipes to clean your dishes. Clorox wiped dishes need a quick boiling water rinse, or you will spend a day in the med tent because your intestines turned inside out.

We put a little boiling water in a dishpan, and the dishes. Each dish gets wiped with a clorox wipe and set aside. The dirty water is strained into the evap pan. Then a little bit of boiling water (we use a coffee pot) is poured over each dish and it is dried with a paper towel. The rinse water is then poured into the evap pan, we don't wash directly over it in case a dish gets dropped. Ooky. The paper towels are now damp and can be used for kitchen and camp wipe up before being dried and put in the paper bag which holds burnable waste.

We only have a plate and a bowl per camper (with our names on them), a mug with a lid each, steel wineglass each, shotglasses plus extra for guests, a spork each and chopsticks, and the serving dishes, plus a coffee spoon and the two coffee pots. The serving dishes are disposable Glad/Presto/Ziploc brand plastics, we haul them home to clean and reuse.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:57 pm

We use paper plates, bowls and corn starch utensils a lot.

Makes life easier, and more sanitary on playa
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Corn starch utensils? Do fill me in.

If you have a burn barrel, your paper trash can be tossed into the fire.
But if everyone in camp has their own fork, bowl, knife, waterbottle etc., the cleanup doesn't require sterilization. Unless you have a Phobic in camp.
I am not bringing bottled water this year. It will be out of a central barrel.
Then add your own instant coffee, gatorade, whatever.
Ugly Dougly

Postby teardropper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:30 pm

I wouldn't use chlorox wipes, overkill plus the rinsing. A quick spray bottle of Dr. Bronners and wipe with a paper towel, then rinse with a spray bottle of clear water. Does pretty good. If you leave the paper towel out, it will dry. I do that with my coffee grounds, too. Nice dry waste. Dr. Bronner peppermint soap is really a multipurpose soap, body and dishes. These things will help you save valuable water, and more important, grey water disposal.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 pm

teardropper wrote:If you leave the paper towel out, it will dry.

Just keep it away from the dust. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Getting around Reno by Taxi works well and on your own time frame. One driver offered to take me to the playa for 300$ and if the rescue plan put in place had not worked I probably would have taken it.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:41 pm

The cornstarch utensils are becoming more readily available. Not so much here in Ogden.

Our grounds dry nicely, and the paper towels too, we drape them over the side of the burn bag.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jakkimaguire » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm

im not taking anything like plates, knives or forks i am gnna buy food that really doesnt take much to prepare which i am gnna have to think about most probably pitta breads and jam and marmite cold beans and stuff like that, i really dnt eat that much anyways 1 meal a day normaly and its not very big so i kno i can live like that for a week i have done it b4 as long as i have my liquids i will be fine... usualy for me wen i am in a hot climate i hardly eat at all which is strange i guess
i really want to take the minimum amount of stuff i can
jakkimaguire

Postby Edana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm

marmite

Make sure you bring that with you - it is not readily available in the US. Can only be found at some specialty stores.
Edana

Postby jakkimaguire » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm

oh is it not ok then i shall deffo bring that with me then
thanks
jakkimaguire

Postby jcliff » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:03 pm

My advice is to check the ride board when it comes up from for the year (linked from the BM website.) I fly in from Illinois and rent a car and arrange to take a rideless Burner with me. Last year I flew in before the woman I took, and we were short on time. She emailed me her shopping list before we flew in and I scooped everything for her and she paid me on arrival. Worked really well.....we were able to head straight to the playa from the airport.

As far as water, I bring 12 gallons, but I live in a camp with a sweet communal kitchen....no dish water required on my part. For me flying in, living in a camp with awesome infrastructure is invaluable. Really cuts down on the crap I have to haul.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby phil » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

> i am gnna buy food that really doesnt take much to prepare

Take a look here:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/quickMeals.html
for links to quick and easy meal offerings. The issue is many of these items aren't available in stores.

Dang. Somebody in Reno needs to set up a receiving station so all these outta towners flying in have a place for their shipments to be sent so they can pick this stuff up before the Burn and not carry it in.
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby j_cavera » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:26 am

Do NOT confuse the baby wipes with the Clorox wipes. Just sayin'. (ow)

- Jim
j_cavera

reno

Postby trevkong » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:36 am

Not necessarily the best place to fly into, im based out of slc, which is more of a major metro area and air hub, we have people every year flying in and then taken grocery shopping by me. Then its just a fun 6 hour drive (even more fun because you get to take more clothes off as you go :)
trevkong

reno

Postby trevkong » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 am

Not necessarily the best place to fly into, im based out of slc, which is more of a major metro area and air hub, we have people every year flying in and then taken grocery shopping by me. Then its just a fun 6 hour drive (even more fun because you get to take more clothes off as you go :)
trevkong

Postby cosmicdancer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 pm

phil wrote:> i am gnna buy food that really doesnt take much to prepare

Take a look here:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/quickMeals.html
for links to quick and easy meal offerings. The issue is many of these items aren't available in stores.

That looks like it has some interesting options.
cosmicdancer

Return to Food & Drink