Grocery List Reocommendations?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Grocery List Reocommendations?

Postby mole freckle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Please direct me to a thread on this if it already exists - i don't have time to look through all 77 pages while frantically packing...

does anyone have any recommendations on what food to bring with?

I am borderline Hypoglycemic, so i can't eat a lot of sugar and carbohydrates and I limit my amount of meat intake too, so i'm kind of at a loss as to what to bring other than canned soups and such...

Thanks for your help!
mole freckle

Postby BitterDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Go to the grocery store and avoid the outside aisles. Everything that is not refrigerated in the store will probably do fine on the playa (except chocolate and other stuff that will melt).
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:54 pm

viewtopic.php?t=23929&highlight=food

download pdf of playa cookery here (which includes grocery list):
http://www.box.net/shared/fvj9aka4m4
Artemis

Postby Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Artemis

Postby Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 pm

and last, but not least, my favorite all time guides - the civilized traveler. This was SO helpful my first year:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/quickMeals.html

http://www.cieux.com/bm/bmtoc.html
Artemis

Low carb Playa food plan

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:39 pm

This is definitely not in time to help the original poster! But we have some interesting diet challenges, too--we pretty much eat low on the glycemic index, mostly avoid starchy carbs (wheat, corn, rice, potatoes...) and sugar, plus my daughter is a vegetarian (she eats dairy, eggs, and fish). Here's what we're thinking:

PROTEINS
-- Peanut butter & almond butter (in plastic jars)
-- Nuts
-- Beef (for us) and salmon (for her) jerky
-- Canned roast beef hash (yeah, some potatoes in there)
-- Canned chili
-- Lentil dal
-- Water-packed tuna in pouches
-- Hard salami
-- Canned tuna in olive oil
-- Deviled ham & chicken
-- Cheese
-- Eggs (mixed ahead, frozen in vacuum bags)
-- BACON!!!! (WE're not vegetarians :D)
-- White beans
-- Soy milk

PRODUCE
-- Apples (good with nut butter) & oranges
-- Sliced mango (vacuum sealed)
-- Coleslaw mix
-- Gazpacho (frozen & vacuum sealed)
-- Baby carrots & dip
-- Onions (pre-chopped and vacuum sealed)
-- Oil-cured olives
-- No sugar added fruit cups
-- Avocados

MISC
-- Blue cheese dressing (turns slaw into a yummy treat)
-- Nutella (~ healthier sweet stuff--which, like salty stuff, helps you drink enough. For the daughter.)
-- Canned hummus
-- Rice crackers (moderation...)
-- Coffee
-- Crystal Lite mix
-- Spices
-- Condiment packets: Mayo, ketchup, horseradish sauce...
-- Almond flour breakfast cookies (oatmeal, nuts, chocolate chips, Splenda, etc.)

We're planning eggs & bacon or breakfast cookies for breakfast (just eggs for the daughter), and then mostly grab-and-go or very simple one pot or one bowl foods--like mix chopped onion + tuna + mayo packets for tuna salad, or oil packed tuna + white beans + spices...

Should work.

We'll bring 2 coolers, one filled with frozen gallon jugs and dry ice and opened once/day (see dry ice thread), and the other with frozen gallon jugs and frozen vacuum sealed foods.
Bling

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:45 pm

Whatever you bring, keep the cooking to a minimum...there's just too much to see and do without spending precious time over a hot stove.

I enjoy a hot meal at the Burn, but usually if someone else is preparing it...as in a group meal plan. For myself, I find I crave salads, whole grain breads, cold cereals, chilled fruit cups, juices.

Keep in mind you can purchase crushed/block ice at three locations in BRC to help keep perishables cool and fresh...just requires attention to how fast your ice is melting in the coolers. There are strategies for prolonging ice, bringing dry ice, keeping coolers off the ground and in the shade...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:48 pm

We never use loose ice for camp coolers--too messy. :-) Not sure what we'll be craving, but figured the fruit, fruit cups, and mango would be a welcome relief from the heat.

Um, granite balls? Ouch!
Bling

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 am

Use the search function on the forums.

And also "google."

Loads and loads of websites discussing food, how to take it, store it, cook it, clean up after it, etc.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby teardropper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Yeah, keep it simple. I had cereal or granola for breakfast and a banana as long as they lasted. I found milk in sealed containers that is sold on the shelf. Lunch, if eaten, was maybe cup of soup, just add hot water. I grilled some chicken breasts and boned thighs and kept them frozen, though a friend keeps his on block ice for days, and mixed them with Zatarain's rice dishes. Didn't eat much quantity of anything. Of course, there were snacks in there, power bars, fruit while it lasted. For cooking and especially coffee I used my little camp stove, a MSR Reactor. Boiled water very quickly and no heating up of the ancient motorhome with no air we like to call home on the playa. I had some canned things, like ravioli and beef stew, chicken salad with crackers. I wanted to create as little grey water as I could so I used some disposable dishes, which I usually don't do. Did find a way to clean with paper towels by using the Dr. Bronners soap in a spray bottle and one clear. Keep your food, and for that matter everything you own, in ziplock bags. Remember, it's just a week long camping trip. On the moon.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Bling » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 pm

The list I suggested is for folks who need to avoid carbs--not for everyone. It's MUCH easier to plan simple meals when you can eat rice and noodles. This is for the rest of us. :D
Bling

Postby Isotopia » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:19 pm

check your PM box.

I have a few collected and assembled lists from my trips to the playa.
Isotopia

quick and easy

Postby greenthumb85 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 pm

I try to plan out 1 or 2 good meals for the week. Cook a big flank steak or some burgers in the beginning of the week, and if you know any late arrivals, have them bring another nights worth of meat or what ever perishable foods you're into. But most meals I try to have no cooking or cleaning time, even better if I can just grab a bag of dried fruit and a bag of nuts and run back out to party! I don't want to spend too much time in my camp, I just want to get out there and play! But some people take their food more seriously then me I guess...

Fast and no clean up food ideas:
Cheese & crackers, dry salami, hard boiled eggs, muffins, packaged danishes and bear-claws, dried fruit, nuts, beef jerky, canned soup, instant oatmeal, pretzels, chips and salsa, different kinds of bars (i.e. granola, breakfast, chewy), you get the idea... But don't bring more trash then you need to, put your instant oatmeal and granola bars in a bag and throw away the box at home

And a good food tip I read before my first year, If you make rice one night and have left over, cover it up and save it for the morning, put honey or syrup on it and it's a great light and simple breakfast. Plus you don't have to haul it back in a trash bag a week later!
Experience art naked!
greenthumb85

Postby shroom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 am

Artemis wrote:download pdf of playa cookery here (which includes grocery list):
http://www.box.net/shared/fvj9aka4m4

Thank you!!! :D
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Return to Food & Drink