coffee

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Elorrum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Eric wrote:I tried doing my batch through a single paper filter- lets just say it was a nightmare. :oops:

I like this concentrate for iced coffee... real smooth. To be honest I haven't tried it as regular hot coffee, adding hot water to it. not sure why not. I'm sure it would taste better than instant.
I have a system made by Toddy, which uses a filter material sort of like a thick soft non woven pad. If the coffee is ground too fine, it just doesn't drain out. It has a rubber plug in the bottom of the soaking jar, and you take the plug out, and set the whole thing on a carafe, or pitcher, to drain out. Much easier than trying to pour it I think.
Elorrum

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Elorrum- so far I've only every used this for iced coffee, but I "think" it would hold up to hot water being added. The grinds are gone, it's not like the hot water is suddenly going to manifest bitterness back into the coffee :lol:

This is a way to make the cold brewed without having to invest in a "system". DIY for coffee...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Elorrum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:56 pm

I love diy. Here's an espresso maker made out of pvc pipe and a caulk gun.
Elorrum

Postby teardropper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Elorrum wrote:Image
I like the stovetop espresso makers like bialetta, they come in aluminum and stainless steel (bit pricier) This version calls itself a 6 cup... I guess that would be espresso shots. I got it on ebay for about 7 dollars, but then it came without the filter cup, an essential part. I found a replacement online at an espresso store, for about 5 dollars. The green cup pictured is most of one brew. It makes one very strong cup of coffee in about as much time as it would take to boil perhaps a larger amount of water (haven't timed it though) I like it strong. If you had a lot of coffee drinkers this might be a hassle, but then you could get a larger size.

Super playa points for clean up. The coffee gets compressed into a little puck that just gets tapped out. rinse, or just wipe clean.

Elorrum, that's almost the exact setup I use. The Bialetta with a MSR Reactor stove instead. And I have the 8 cup because it perfect into my Oxo mug. I use that in the motorhome instead of the stovetop burner because it is faster for less heat build up. And, you're right, the little puck is easy to clean up. I just wipe with a paper towel.

I use that at home, too, because I really like the taste.

I sometimes use the Blue Mountain, too, AntiM. Very expensive. But it is a beautiful spot in Jamaica. They grow good stuff up there...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Elorrum wrote:I love diy. Here's an espresso maker made out of pvc pipe and a caulk gun.

LOVE IT!

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby maryanimal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 pm

ARe you sure that's an espresso maker, and not a french press?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:ARe you sure that's an espresso maker, and not a french press?

I sent it to maryanimal...its a drip cone.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 am

theCryptofishist wrote:ARe you sure that's an espresso maker, and not a french press?

It's not an espresso maker (which uses high pressure steam), but more of an "espresso" press. Espresso presses (including the commercial Aeropress) use espresso grinds versus the coarse grind needed for the french press. Hot water is pushed through the grounds at high pressures using a sealed plunger, usually with a filter at the bottom. A french press, on the other hand, pushes the grounds to the bottom through a screen in the plunger, and the coffee is poured off from the top.

The espresso press is not an espresso maker in the true sense, because it is not steam-driven. However, it relies on the same principles of fast extraction using a fine grind, and produces a coffee with roughly the same taste and concentration as espresso, though smoother, and perhaps not as concentrated.

I use an Aeropress as my primary coffee maker because it is so fast and has virtually no cleanup (aside from the good coffee it makes). Grind, fill with water, stir, press, unscrew, push the hockey-puck shaped spent grounds in the garbage (or compost), and rinse/wipe down the plunger seal. The French presses I've used have a slurry of grounds and water at the bottom that is a pain to dump, and need a good rinsing that puts grounds in the drain which I try to avoid.

I'll probably drag my Aeropress to BM this year rather than the "Vietnamese-style Coffee Filter" from last year that didn't work so well for the same reasons as the french press. It's amazing how easy it is to forget what a pain it is to clean our kitchen tools without running water.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 am

Well, I got beat to it, a little (though they didn't make a French press).

"The 8 foot tall cup contains a massive 2,010 gallons of freshly brewed coffee - that's the same as 32,160 regular cups. It took a team of people more than eight hours to brew all the coffee required, who were in turn powered by several cups of coffee."
C.f.M.

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am

C.f.M. wrote:Well, I got beat to it, a little (though they didn't make a French press).

"The 8 foot tall cup contains a massive 2,010 gallons of freshly brewed coffee - that's the same as 32,160 regular cups. It took a team of people more than eight hours to brew all the coffee required, who were in turn powered by several cups of coffee."

Caffeine can be absorbed through the skin, so, those chicks are getting a whopping jolt! :shock:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby goathead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 am

C.f.M. wrote:Well, I got beat to it, a little (though they didn't make a French press).

could I get a cup to go?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 am

/insert joke about peeing in the pool
C.f.M.

Postby goathead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 am

C.f.M. wrote:/insert joke about peeing in the pool

just don't make it chunky
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 am

I'm not a coffee drinking person, but my wife swears by the little Via packets from Starbucks.

Each one is an individual serving of freeze dried coffee.

She was scoffed at during one camping event by other coffee snobs until they tried it. I guess it's surprisingly good.

<shrugs> I do know that it's uber convenient: a little hot water, and you can store weeks worth of the packets in a single ziplock. Opened packets can go right back in the same bag for diposal later.

Just wanted to let peeps know those were out there.

<shrugs>
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:I'm not a coffee drinking person, but my wife swears by the little Via packets from Starbucks.

Each one is an individual serving of freeze dried coffee.

She was scoffed at during one camping event by other coffee snobs until they tried it. I guess it's surprisingly good.

<shrugs> I do know that it's uber convenient: a little hot water, and you can store weeks worth of the packets in a single ziplock. Opened packets can go right back in the same bag for diposal later.

Just wanted to let peeps know those were out there.

<shrugs>

I guess it was another thread where I talked about VIA. They come in different flavors and for iced or hot coffee. I've seen they have their own special mug(s) to make it in, but don't know what they're about. Though perhaps the average SB customer wouldn't be there, if they could measure out coffee and water and use a whipped cream canister...
C.f.M.

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm not a connoisseur--I bring those little Starbucks Doubleshots (canned) and keep 'em chilled. Very pleasant & quite portable.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Savannah wrote:I'm not a connoisseur--I bring those little Starbucks Doubleshots (canned) and keep 'em chilled. Very pleasant & quite portable.

I used those until I developed the lactose allergy- all the doubleshots have milk in them. I think Illy has some that are just black, but I wasn't able to find any last year before leaving. I'll should probably start hunting them up for this year.

Doubleshots get the job done. Quick morning coffee.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm

My problem is the sugar. That could fuel a classroom of underage ADDers for the entire day.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Rahoolioo-ooo-ooo . . . rahoolio . . . rahoolioo-ooo...bungholio . . . I have no bunghole . . . I have no bungholiooo-ooo-ooo . . . I am the Great Cornholio-ooo-ooo . . . the almighty Bungholio . . . the great almighty one-and-only-bungholiooo-ooo-ooo . . . my people have but one bunghole . . . I am Cornholiooo-ooo . . . I hope my bungholio does not get polio . . .

. . . What sugar? . . . :shock:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Zed the Mailman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 pm

+1 on the little cans of Starbucks or Illy. I drink hot capp's every other day of the year but out on the playa, getting up at noon I find the little cans to be very, very convenient.

this year we've got more people so I'm playing with pre-making the espresso+sugar, freezing it in 1/2gal milk containers and using it as ice/thermal inertia for the coolers. Just pour over ice and add as much milk/soy as you would like. The home tests have gone over well with 5/5 burners sampling saying that it was quite tasty and absolutely sufficient for the playa.
Monorail Survey Crew
Grease Fairy
Predictive Postal Service
Zed the Mailman

Postby Trishntek » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 pm

goathead wrote:

ur in!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby teardropper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:My problem is the sugar.

Mmm, sugar...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 am

Trishntek wrote:
goathead wrote:

ur in!

My coffee tastes like ass.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am

AntiM wrote:
Trishntek wrote:
goathead wrote:

ur in!

My coffee tastes like ass.

You've licked Simon? :shock:
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am

I said "ass", not "asshole".
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby goathead » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 am

AntiM wrote:I said "ass", not "asshole".

Da Mule?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby goathead » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 am

Trishntek wrote:
goathead wrote:

ur in!

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

Eternal Theme
goathead

Postby haolegolucky » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Ideas:

-Via coffee packets from starbucks. I've used them for camping, not bad.
-Get french press. Put water and coffee in it, let it sit in sun. Press after a day. Smooth and rich, with very lil' acid.
-Come to Coffee Camp. They are attached to my camp at 8 n' C. Coffee starts around 7.30-8AM
-Get your own stove, bring your own press, and get cracking.
-Coffee in a can. Not so good, but tolerable. Visit Asian supermarkets for some fun Japanese versions.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Zed the Mailman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm

1st batch tested and approved by 4 campmates. I think we've got a winner.

I brewed a 1/2 gallon of very strong coffee using a stovetop espresso maker. It's not really 'true' espresso and doesn't get a proper crema head to it but it's exactly the concentrate I need. I sweetened it and added some vanilla, than froze it solid in a 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug.

Simply mix with milk/soy over ice and you have a delicious, easy and fast coffee drink.
Monorail Survey Crew
Grease Fairy
Predictive Postal Service
Zed the Mailman

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink