coffee

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby Elorrum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

I like the stovetop espresso makers like bialetta, they come in aluminum and stainless steel (bit pricier) This version calls itself a 6 cup... I guess that would be espresso shots. I got it on ebay for about 7 dollars, but then it came without the filter cup, an essential part. I found a replacement online at an espresso store, for about 5 dollars. The green cup pictured is most of one brew. It makes one very strong cup of coffee in about as much time as it would take to boil perhaps a larger amount of water (haven't timed it though) I like it strong. If you had a lot of coffee drinkers this might be a hassle, but then you could get a larger size.

Super playa points for clean up. The coffee gets compressed into a little puck that just gets tapped out. rinse, or just wipe clean.
Elorrum

Postby Elorrum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:I remember someone posting about a method where you make some strong coffee, then boil it for a while until the water is gone, and you end up with some concentrated coffee syrup...er something. anyone know where i can find this procedure....and you just add water back in or what?

I do not recommend boiling coffee to reduce it... it would taste pretty nasty I'd think. coffee concentrate can be made by steeping ground coffee in cold water overnight... see a company called Toddy, or look at instructables for other gizmos and methods.
Elorrum

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 am

I agree that boiling isn't necessary.
gyre

Postby teardropper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 am

There seems to be many ways to make coffee, including using a gennie set...I prefer to keep it simple. I have an old motorhome, no A/C or gennie, and I use a MSR Reactor camp stove. It uses a catalytic head, no flame and boils a litre of water in less that 3 minutes. No heat up of the stove or the inside of the coach. We use a Melitta filter, a #2, and alread ground organic, Fair Trade, mountain grown very fine ground coffee and make it by the cup. This is fast and if you leave the filters in the sink they dry and can go in the dry trash. I use milk and sugar, blasphemy, I know, and get the shelf safe milk that needs no refrigeration till open. But they are small, 8 oz, and they usually are one use. This makes me a real nice cuppa, quickly and easily.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby britzbitz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Mmmm...nothing beats your own favorite brand of coffee, made in a Bodum/French Press.

I have a nice durable one that I use when I live outdoors for a solid 3 weeks of the summer. I'll definitely be bringing it along with us for Burning Man.

I'll also bring a ton of our locally roasted coffee...

Delicousness.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Chuck this down your throat. Now!

Gulp some canteen water and you're good to go.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elorrum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 am

Image propane or butane, 8 cup double walled stainless carafe.... man, if they could make it for a k-cup. Reviews say they are a bit fragile, but 10-12 minutes for 8 cups is nice. Sierra trading post has them now, internet coupons for - 20% are usually available for their site. I love this low angle shot.... makes it seem god like.
Elorrum

Postby graidawg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:04 am

oh thank you starbucks/mcdonalds or whoever that got you americans into good coffee i was over 9 years ago and could not get decent coffee anywhere in reno.

As a mark of my appreciation I shall bring a selection of coffees from whitards.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 am

You couldn't get good coffee in Reno in 02? This surprises me. I spent 4.5 years in Butte Co., CA, in the 90s--just when Starbucks really was hitting the scene. And by the time I left, the unlikeliest little valley towns had espresso machines. I would have thought that Reno, which should have greater sophistication with an international airport, didn't have good coffee earlier. Of course, maybe using "espresso machines" as a measure of good coffee is a mistake. And maybe all those sophisticated skiers just went to Tahoe without dropping any money in Reno.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:27 am

Crypto,,,,, afterall he did say, ",,,i was over 9 years ago and could not get decent coffee anywhere in reno."

His ability to get it was obviously the problem!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Sail Man » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:30 pm

graidawg is obviously not a hounddawg :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsQSb9RFo0[/youtube]

For thou appears to lack the ability to sniff out the finest java's that are out there :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby graidawg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:16 pm

oh i found coffee and was very disapointed by the watery weakness of it, hence

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593091@N07/5463045364/]Image

Image[/url]

expensive but worth it

Your extra tags are killing me ... M
Use an url opening tag, then your images, then an url closing tag. The url=http is extraneous.
Also, hit enter between images to keep them from spreading out all over the page
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Y'know...those damn Starbucks Avias are really quite good! I'm really thinkin' of forgetting the whole drip coffee maker equipment and just boiling water for Avia...

slam, bam, thank ya ma'am!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby phil » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:53 pm

> 8 cup double walled stainless carafe

8? Not enough for Louise and me in the morning.
phil

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm

phil wrote:> 8 cup double walled stainless carafe

8? Not enough for Louise and me in the morning.

8 is just what we need to be semi-decent people. if you want perky you need more than that.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby TomServo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Anyone ever consider just bringing a coffee cone and either, paper filters or a reusable filter?

http://www.espressoyourselfcoffeeandtea.com/images/prods/271.jpg
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:56 am

TomServo wrote:Anyone ever consider just bringing a coffee cone and either, paper filters or a reusable filter?

Those work well if you are solo and only need one cup of coffee.

I am giving serious thought to a stainless 36 cup percolator from Cabelas for our camp kitchen. It might slay the coffee beast in the morning for us.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 am

CapSmashy wrote:
TomServo wrote:Anyone ever consider just bringing a coffee cone and either, paper filters or a reusable filter?

Those work well if you are solo and only need one cup of coffee.

I am giving serious thought to a stainless 36 cup percolator from Cabelas for our camp kitchen. It might slay the coffee beast in the morning for us.

Heh, the little coffee machine that could...

If you're not into pots and pots at a time, one might like a travel French press like I have.

Just made me think it'd be kinda fun to try and build a huge one, get some screening from a hardware store and a large tub of some sort...make a vat of coffee...
C.f.M.

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Just made me think it'd be kinda fun to try and build a huge one, get some screening from a hardware store and a large tub of some sort...make a vat of coffee...

I'm not casting dispersions on your ability to build things, but this reminded me of my partner wanting to build the shower pan for our shower last year because he thought buying a prefab unit would be too expensive...it ended up costing three times what we would have spent had we just purchased it ready made. Though he did have a good time making it.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am

Yeah, it'd be more of an art project/labor of love than anything practical. :)
C.f.M.

Postby Sail Man » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 am

graidawg, I agree that blue mountain is some good chit mon :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 am

I have my Blue Mountain in a jar in my freezer, with a label saying "Not For You".
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby graidawg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:47 am

AntiM wrote:I have my Blue Mountain in a jar in my freezer, with a label saying "Not For You".

+1 (and lol)
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby phil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 am

Coffee cone and ether? Oh. Never mind.

Louise and I bring a honkin' huge old blue enamel coffee pot and a honkin' huge plastic thermos. We boil the water in the pot, then pour it through the paper cone full of ground coffee into the thermos. Simple, effective, and bounteous.
phil

Postby unjonharley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:02 pm

phil wrote:

Coffee cone and ether? Oh. Never mind.

Louise and I bring a honkin' huge old blue enamel coffee pot and a honkin' huge plastic thermos. We boil the water in the pot, then pour it through the paper cone full of ground coffee into the thermos. Simple, effective, and bounteous.

I still use the old Milina filter cone.. Make 160z @ a time.. Or 32oz for a thermos.

The Coffee Camp on 8:30 street makes the coffee with the enamel pots and filter..
unjonharley

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Cowboy Coffee Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Large coffee pot
* 4 quarts water
* 1 1/2 cups ground coffee
* 1 eggshell
* 1/2 cup ice cold water

1. Boil the 4 quarts of water in your large coffee pot over a high flame.
2. Add the coffee grounds and egg shell once water has come completely to a boil
3. Return the water to a boil. The moment you add the coffee grounds the water will settle down and the temperature will drop. It will take approximately another three minutes to bring the water to a boil.
4. Remove the coffee from the heat source and let it stand for three to four minutes.
5. Pour in the half cup of ice-cold water. This will not only reduce the scalding hot temperature of your coffee, but it will also send the coffee grounds to the bottom of the pot. Serve with a ladle and enjoy.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Here's a link showing how to make Cold Brewed Coffee Concentrate

I've done it (in a larger batch)- the coffee is fantastically smooth & tasty. No bitterness, just.... yum.

Dealing with the grinds in the set-up I tried was a bitch, but I found this page after researching more & this method seems to deal with that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby phil » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:23 pm

> Dealing with the grinds in the set-up I tried was a bitch, but I found
> this page after researching more & this method seems to deal with that.

Do you know why it's filtered coarsely then fine? Why not just run the first batch through a paper filter and be done with it?

It looks interesting, but I'm not seeing the purpose of two-step filtering.
phil

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Heh, the little coffee machine that could...

:)

Whatever you do, do not suggest this idea to Logan or Monti... wait.. on second thought...

Present this idea to Logan AND Monti as a challenge. Start it off with "I bet you clever boys can't build this!".
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:57 pm

phil wrote:Do you know why it's filtered coarsely then fine? Why not just run the first batch through a paper filter and be done with it?

I don't know the full science of it, but basically the longer the coffee is exposed to water, the coarser you want the grind to be. A fine grind exposes too much surface area & will draw out more of the bitter elements of the coffee in a slow brew. When you cold-brew the grinds are in the water for hours on end (the batch I made was a 12-hour brew, #13 grind)- if it had been finely ground it would have been way too bitter.

I tried doing my batch through a single paper filter- lets just say it was a nightmare. :oops:

I like the site I linked to because it has instructions for small batch brewing, my original batch was over a gallon.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink