Water Delivery

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Water Delivery

Postby Hondovious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

So last year I saw several people getting water delivered in 275 gallon IBC totes. Did anyone do this? What company supplies these? From what I understand the will deliver it, pick it up when you are done with whatever grey water you might have left in it. Or maybe there are separate totes for clean water and grey water. Hard to remember that Sunday convo after being at BM for 12 days :p
Hondovious

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Water Delivery

Postby beer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am

(I am in no way affiliated with the following link. FYI only) ;)
http://www.meco-reno.com/
Follow the link that says "water for Burning Man".

Our camp used them for RV fills last year but I have no experience with their big tank dropoffs. They were on time and affordable, only problem I had was that my RV doesnt like to take water at the speed the pump on their truck delivers it at, and they didnt have the ability to slow it down. They have trucks on site all week so if your needs exceed what they initially deliver theyre pretty easy to get ahold of. I do not know that they cart off your grey water, you should clarify that before delivery as I dont think they'll want waste water in their fresh totes.

k.
beer

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Sorry, I have to post here now because I kept reading "Water Delivery by Beer" as "Beer Delivery by Water" but, the barge load of kegs never pulled up at my dock.

Stop driving me crazy, you guys. :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Sorry, MDF, but this is a perfect time to mention my all time favorite job, which, unfortunately my high school guidance councilor never mentioned. Delivering Guinness in Venice, by boat. It just doesn't get any sweeter. But I never learned how to drive a boat or speak Italian or how to lift with my knees, not my back--too late for that--so I'll just have to keep on being a civil servant, I guess.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Sorry, MDF, but this is a perfect time to mention my all time favorite job, which, unfortunately my high school guidance councilor never mentioned. Delivering Guinness in Venice, by boat. It just doesn't get any sweeter.

You're right, that's amazing. :shock: I never even conceived of that being possible.

But I never learned how to drive a boat or speak Italian or how to lift with my knees, not my back--too late for that--so I'll just have to keep on being a civil servant, I guess.

Or . . . learn to speak Italian, drive a boat, and throw overhand. But not beer.

Unless . . . . you're at the Burn, driving a gondola on wheels, have memorized 10 Italian phrases, and are doing this one beer at a time, which would be genius.

BUON GIORNO. HERE'S YOUR @#$% BEER.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Savannah wrote:BUON GIORNO. HERE'S YOUR @#$% BEER.

Maybe Dobbisianno needs a new sig line.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:BUON GIORNO. HERE'S YOUR @#$% BEER.

Maybe Dobbisianno needs a new sig line.

HA! :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Meco Water Delivery

Postby HurtYurt » Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 am

Re: water delivery.

Anyone have any experience renting the tank from Meco? Reliable? Do they deliver before Sunday/Monday?
If renting a tank, do they deliver the tank with water, or do I have to pickup the empty tank on way to BRC and then they fill it there?

Any drawbacks to getting a big tank vs just bringing own water is smaller containers ? single point of failure/leak?

thanks!
HurtYurt

Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 am

When booking water or any other on-playa deliveries this year, make sure to ask if the company has their BLM permit. That's apparently going to be a new hoop for outside service providers to have to jump through. As I get more info on that, I'll post about it separately.

A few of our campmates did a group water delivery thing last year and it was a massive pain in the ass IMO. A chunk of it could have had to do with the particular company they used (no idea who), but part of it could have been that it just wasn't organized that well. Water delivery was supposed to happen on Friday before the event, but they didn't show until Sunday. We were okay because there were more than half a dozen in the camp who'd packed in their own water, the other half dozen just drank from that supply. Once the water arrived, things were just kind of a pain in the ass. The organizer went with a water plan that involved the big water bottles they use for water coolers in offices, since that wouldn't weigh as much and people could just drop in a hand-pump and use as is in the kitchen and to refill camelbaks, cook, etc. That didn't happen very regularly because the containers were clunky and the pump was a hassle to attach, and so over the course of the week the people who'd done water delivery used less than half of the water they needed, and the campmates who'd packed in the little 2 1/2 gallon suitcases had used pretty much everything. The delivery company was only a few hours behind their pickup schedule thank goodness, had they been more than a day late the organizer would have had to change his travel plans in order to make sure that went smoothly. I think that once they got their deposits back the cost was only slightly higher than the cost of buying the 2 1/2 gallon containers - the premium they paid for 'convenience' didn't really feel very convenient to me.

Big fat disclaimer on the above - your mileage may vary. Our camp isn't that big, we were 26 people last year, and only about a dozen did the water delivery thing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elorrum » Wed May 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Burning man is a place where your dream job could be realized, Fishy. Of course you'd have to work on a volunteer basis. And the boat part, well, you know... Got a striped long sleeve shirt and black hat with ribbons?
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Can I sing the Duke of Plaza Toro?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm

If you can, then you certainly may, though I'll admit I am not familiar with that particular ditty. I think if you are delivering Guiness, that there would need to be something along the lines of Wild Rover, "no nay never!" There we go... what did you see at Burning Man? A venetian gondolier singing the Wild Rover, rowed by and gave me a Guiness. dream with me! laugh with me!
Elorrum

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

275 gallons of Guinness?!!!

*Passes out on the spot.*
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 15, 2013 7:36 pm

It's from the Gondoliers, which is why it's relevant.

Another bit of nonsense from Gilbert and Sullivan:
[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Token » Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Hondovious wrote:So last year I saw several people getting water delivered in 275 gallon IBC totes. Did anyone do this? What company supplies these? From what I understand the will deliver it, pick it up when you are done with whatever grey water you might have left in it. Or maybe there are separate totes for clean water and grey water. Hard to remember that Sunday convo after being at BM for 12 days :p

Just ask to be placed near 1st camp and tap into their water lines.

Just bring a bottle of Jack to lubricate the transaction.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Elorrum » Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It's from the Gondoliers, which is why it's relevant.
Another bit of nonsense from Gilbert and Sullivan:

snap, you are good. I am listening to Gilbert and Sullivan, but am pretty much a novice to all but Mikado at this point. Pinnafore... marginal, Penzance, same.
back to your regularly scheduled water delivery info. mille pardons
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 pm

For a long time the D'oley Carte stuff was unobtanium. (Fuck you, Maggie.) I found a used Highlights cd recently. Nice to hear the old stuff again.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Hondovious wrote:So last year I saw several people getting water delivered in 275 gallon IBC totes. Did anyone do this? What company supplies these? From what I understand the will deliver it, pick it up when you are done with whatever grey water you might have left in it. Or maybe there are separate totes for clean water and grey water. Hard to remember that Sunday convo after being at BM for 12 days :p

im guessing yer thinkin of some setup like this

im pretty sure its been the united sites services guy each year we've done this..

the water needs to be higher than it was in this setup... like 10foot would be good.. hard to get proper water flow without it being kinda high.. at least, when using gravity to pump it..

we use a sump pump under the sink to pump the graywater into the waste tank.

they need to be accesible to the guys in the trucks... if they cant get in the area safely, the wont pump it... this limits camp setup.

one year the water tank was being filled up and while setup properly it musta been filled too quickly cuz the top of it blew off.

luckily it was towards the end of the week and the 2/3 of the tank that held water was enough for us.. it was sealed up from dust with trash bags and duct tape.

in our very large camp we were getting pumped/refilled every 2-3 days, ..but most of our water was going to kitchen use with only a smaller portion, like 1/4 or less, going to drinking water.... it wasnt being distributed to everyone in camp as their main source of water.

having this system is quite a luxury, but it also very limiting..... if your driver (or you!!!) miss a pumping time, or a drop off of water... you basically have to shut operations down instantly and go to 'OMG CONSERVE!!' ..not exactly fun... having a backup plan might come in useful

i dont know how you arrange to get these services as the stuff im mentionin is provided via the LLC through united site services.. but, if they do it for the LLC, im not sure why they wouldnt do it for someone else whos willing to pay whatever ungodly fee it is..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby HurtYurt » Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 am

Any notes on water quality? Is it clean tap water or distilled water?
HurtYurt

Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

It's potable.
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Thu May 16, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Water quality depends entirely on who you choose to do business with and what you make arrangements for.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SBgalaxy » Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 pm

[quote]
[url]http://www.meco-reno.com/[/url]

[/quote]

I got a quote from the MECO people that was $600 for the tank & equipment plus $500 for each fillup. They figured a camp of 40 people would need 2 fill ups. So overall that would be $1600. It sounds like a great setup but not sure if we can deal with the greywater yet.

Any feedback from people who have used this company before would be really helpful!!! PM me or post here!
Thanks!
~Galaxy
SBgalaxy

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

SBgalaxy wrote:
http://www.meco-reno.com/

I got a quote from the MECO people that was $600 for the tank & equipment plus $500 for each fillup. They figured a camp of 40 people would need 2 fill ups. So overall that would be $1600. It sounds like a great setup but not sure if we can deal with the greywater yet.

Any feedback from people who have used this company before would be really helpful!!! PM me or post here!
Thanks!
~Galaxy

Use a holding tank and contract a RV pump out for your grey water..
unjonharley

Return to Food & Drink