International Burner Meet & Greet, San Fran, 22 August

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

International Burner Meet & Greet, San Fran, 22 August

Postby Kamuchamu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey everyone!

Got my BM ticket, flying in to SFO on the 18th from Geneva, Switzerland. So goddamn excited, I can hardly contain myself!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yes, I'm a birgin.

I thought it would be a good idea to meet other international burners that are in San Fran a few days prior to the event, to share tips and resources for the Burn, make new friends, chat and have a laugh. It can be a bit daunting and disorienting to fly into an unknown city, and have to prepare for 8 days in the desert in a limited time-span. Here's the occasion for us "fish out of water" to pool our knowledge and resources and be more efficient during the few days that lead up to the Burn.

Things like:

-finding ride-shares
-finding campmates
-sharing last minute info about where to find what
-sharing knowledge about the burn
-sharing other resources

So I'm organising a little get-together on the 22nd of August evening(tentatively), in a bar or restaurant (yet to be determined) in San Francisco.

Send me a PM if you'd like to come for the "International Burner Meet & Greet"! Like that I can keep you up to date about the location and time of the event. Suggestions for venues are welcome. I deliberately chose a date closer to the event (as most international burners will be flying in just a few days before), but if it turns out that many of us are actually in SF earlier than just a few days (say a week), I would consider pre-poning the meet & greet to give us more time to prepare. So please include your date of arrival in SF in your PM.

Needless to say, everyone is welcome! In fact it would be delightful if some of the local Burning Man veterans could drop in to impart us with some seasoned knowledge (though we all know they are very busy this time of the year...).

Hope many of you come forward!

'And it burns, burns, burns, the Burning Man...'
One day, we will never have to say goodbye, only good night.
Kamuchamu

Burning Since: 2014

Re: International Burner Meet & Greet, San Fran, 22 August

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 am

I'm moving this to the Regionals & Events board, since that's a better fit for meetup discussions.

For what it's worth, if you're waiting until August 22nd to try and put heads together, you're very nearly too late. The smart things for people traveling a great distance to get to the burn would be to connect with their regional group as early as possible - others in your region not only share the same logistical hurdles, but may be able to help new participants with preparation and advice for travel. Next, connect with the regional group for the cities you'll be traveling through. Whether that's Reno or SF or anywhere else. Through mailing lists or regional group FB groups (or wherever they communicate electronically), you'll get loads of useful information long before you arrive in the area. That's crucial, because unless you're on a luxurious travel budget and/or schedule, there is very little time to waste when you get into town. You're through customs, you're off the plane, you've got your rental vehicle, and now it's time to get the final stages of your preparations in order.

Between ePlaya and other internet resources, you should find a ridiculous amount of information and knowledge about the event, and plenty of info about possible camps to join. Sure, you waited until fairly late in the game to start thinking about it, but there is still plenty of time to get your burn preparations together.

Sure, meet up with folks and make new friends while you're in town if you've got time to spare... but don't wait until that very late stage to start getting your preparations figured out.

Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I dunno, Trilo, I think that meeting other international burners would be fun regardless of the preparation aspects.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby noddycub » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi

First time burner from Sydney Australia I'm certainly keen to attend this event please keep me in the loop I arrive on Aug 20th
noddycub

Postby BritishDarrell » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 am

Hi!

Me and a mate will be coming over from the UK, and hopefully heading to burning man from San Fran. Should be in the area by that date, would love to meet up with others and discuss preparations etc, as we're both virgin burners!

Thanks!
BritishDarrell

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Have you settled on a venue yet?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lightweight-love » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 am

Count me in!
I'm from the UK and arrived in San Fran yesterday and would of course be up for any social and meeting some burners!
SMILE
lightweight-love

Return to Regionals & Events