My heart goes out to Utah and the e11 burners tonight

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Re: My heart goes out to Utah and the e11 burners tonight

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 am

From a respected member of the Utah FB group:
I've spoken with a family member of Chris's and they shared that when the words "premeditated suicide" are used to describe what happened to Chris's it is very upsetting to them. Please pass this on to people when you hear these words used.
Here are some things to consider:
* There was no note (a false rumor)
* No one has come forward with strong testimony that he claimed he was "going into the fire" (another false rumor?)
* There was no current major upset in his life
* He had plans the next day with his wife that he was looking forward to
* None of his friends at E11 had heard him say any thing that suggested this was his mind set or intent
* There was NOTHING that suggests he was suicidal
The truth is no one knows for sure what Chris's state of mind was and the fact that many in our community have suggested that they know it was "premeditated suicide" has made things even more emotionally upsetting for his family and loved ones.
As has the words of those that have judged him as being "Selfish" and other negative descriptive words I won't repeat here.
This was and is a tragedy. The Burner Community has forever changed, I hope in a positive way. Now is the time for loving and healing not slandering and judging.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Major Krash » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:04 pm

[[[[Anti-M]]]]

[[[[E11]]]]
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby FossaFerox » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Anti-M, that lines up with what my campmates who were camped with him told me. It looks like someone gave him something I won't name and it went poorly. It's a terrible tragedy made all the worse by the fact that he was removed from a life that he loved. PLEASE be careful everyone.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby thirt33n » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am

personally, I smiled for the guy.
I watched the flames as I watched the video on youtube.
I am aware of the tragic nature of it and how it terribly affected those who witnessed it and know the guy....yet, I smiled for him and I still am.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby kiboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Elderberry wrote:Maybe he just wanted to spend his last moments and die among friends.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with what he did.

Your perspective is interesting to me. IMO Death/impermanence anxiety is the prime mover in all human affairs. (Read Ernest Becker "Denial of Death" No other book in 60+ years of living has done more to alter my world view of what it is to be human and what motivates most of not all of our actions)

So when someone dies by their own hand in public it can be very disturbing to all who witness it or think about it. Yet really people are dying in much worse ways than this fellow every second and death is waiting for all of us as a very natural outcome of being alive. We hardly blink an eye when other lifeforms die.

So like you I don't find anything wrong with his choice to end his own life. However he was being particularly selfish in choosing to do it in the way he did considering the obvious effect it was going to have not only on the people but the event itself. His choice and timing seem odd to me. And of course if he was chemically altered he might have lost mental/emotional control of himself. I'll never know about that.

Had I witnessed it live, more than horror I would have felt awe. A memorable event.

Don't believe everything you think.
kiboy

Burning Since: 2000

Previous

Return to Regionals & Events