Anyone from florida?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Anyone from florida?

Postby Electroman85 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Hello to all fellow burners, was curious to see if there was anyone from Florida. More specifically around Orlando, I am from lake wales Florida awas wanting to connect with fellow burners to talk about BM, or regional burns etc. I am a virgin to the playa but me and my fiancee will be attending the 2014 burn, and would like insight and ideas about what to expect. More importantly I would like to build friendships to keep myself on a path of self exploration. Enough of my ramblings, if your a season veteran or virgin to the playa get in touch with me.
Electroman85

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Anyone from florida?

Postby adamabaum » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 am

I'm also from Florida (miami) and would love info on regional events!
adamabaum

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Melonstone National Park

Postby blueflame111 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:43 am

I am in Jacksonville and would love to talk to burners in the area. I am a virgin and considering going to BM in 2014.
blueflame111

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 am

There does appear to be a regional group, you may care to check that out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Kairielise » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Fellow virgin in Orlando here, on for the very same reason. I also hope to attend in 2014. Are you guys by any chance considering a ride share to split gas? The cost of travel out there is the biggest blockade for me.
Kairielise

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 am

I know we have two regulars from Florida. One is Junglesmacks. I've forgotten the other. JS may have moved, but might have some pertinent information.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Swope904 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey everyone, Im from Florida as well and plan on making my first trip to the playa this year in 2014. I live in jacksonville and would love to connect with some people in the the state/area!
Swope904

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Clocks and Mirrors was the other "regular" from Florida but he recently moved west.

I don't know how you guys do it. If Burning Man was in Florida I wouldn't go.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Swope904 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:34 pm

what do you mean buddy? I don't get what your saying?
Swope904

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Too far to haul my gear.
But now that you got me thinking, I also wouldn't go because of the humidity and the insane amounts of crawling and flying bugs!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Swope904 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah its a far drive and cost alot of money which has been a big factor on me going and im sure alot of others who have thought about going or who do go.

And bugs aren't a big deal here in the bigger citys. but the father outside of an urban city the bugs do get it worse. Florida is a swamp and below sea level. what can ya expect ya know?
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 pm

South Floriduh virgin here.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 am

hey falaholic, hows it going?

You planning on making the drive for 2014?
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

I've done enough road trips to satisfy my lifetime.
My current plan is to fly in, rent an RV. Just need to get more people on board.
If it all falls though, then I'm looking at carpooling. I don't want to drive, again done it too many time to appreciate the drive anymore.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

I can understand that completely. I have looked into renting an RV. But I lack certain things needed like a major credit card.
Also for the price of renting I could almost with a little more money buy a used RV and use it. Which is something I am thinking of doing in a year or two.
But yes I am all about the experience of the entire trip myself to and from cause its just my time away from everything at home.
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

Buying a used RV? Never thought of doing that. BTW The prices that I have seen are way off on the spectrum. Some are outrageous, while another I found to be pretty fucking affordable.
What you're gonna have to factor into is gas, and gas ain't what it used to be pre-'00 ($0.91 a gallon) . At 2,700 miles (Whorelando to BR, NV), and an RV doing 10 MPG, you're looking at 270 gallons, at $3.50, $945 just in gas. Don't forget it is going to take a min of 3 days, so thats 3 days out of school/work, and 9 meals. You're looking at an easy $1000 just to get there. Oh and the what if, what if you blow a tyre, RV won't start, etc.
There are so many what ifs, and cost prohibitive factors that it makes it illogical.
Did I forget to mention the cost of the RV, and what you are going to do with it once you arrive back from BM?

$1K per person, 4 people, should be enough for airfare, BM tickets, RV rental, supplies, and food.
Haven't confirmed it yet, but this is what I'm working with at the moment.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Yeah I have seen RVs on craigslist between 2000-5000. Their not brand new or super nice, but If your a contractor like myself I can rip out the walls and carpet and re-frame and rebuild the cabin the way I would like it.
Yes I would also have to factor in fixing up the engine, generator, wheels, breaks, and anything else.
Yes they are horrible on gas but coming from Florida you already know your probably gonna spend over 2000 in gas with an RV. Plus grey water and black water removal.
I have been planning my trip to the playa for years so I have went over every what if about 20 times.
An RV is something that if I do Im going to take a year or two away from the playa for the overhaul and cost.
This year I am just focusing on making it their and experiencing the trip. Over the next few years after I plan on perfecting my trip on the annual basis.

But your plan with the RV sounds like a solid on. Especially with the vehicle pass deal so as long as one person bought one or everyone threw down on one you would be good.
Just have to find people that want to share an RV and that are gonna respect it with you and have tickets.
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm

The $2000 that you mention, I factored that in. I'm not renting here and driving there. I'm renting there, and driving from there.
Unless you're planning on going on semi-annual trips with the fam, I do not see the cost benefits of purchasing an RV. Regardless if it is a fixer upp\per.
Just get with 3 others to split the cost of renting one (from there). Then after your not a BM virgin anymore, you can then make a wiser decision if buying an RV is the right decision for you. From the looks of things, BM is what got you on the path of purchasing one. Which leads me to believe that you don't have any other aspects in your life that would necessitate the purpose of owning one.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm

The only problem with renting is finding responsible people that actually have the money and the want to go to burning man. Thats my biggest problem. Let alone you have to be comfortable enough to be around them for a week.
I do plan on making annual trips. I also plan on maybe moving out west one day. An RV would definitely be a lot easier to do. Basically If I have it I will use it a a lot once I have fixed it up.
But I wouldn't do that for anther few years. So im not really worried about it. Just thoughts and plans of one day having one.

But yeah my biggest problem was finding people to get an RV when renting. Which is what led me to the whole buying one. Especially when cost is factored in. Have you found people to go with yet?
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm

If you're contemplating buying one, regardless of used, then you shouldn't be worrying about renting one. Psssh, what's $5K vs $15K to buy and fix it up. Dood, I'm all for the dreamer, but you shouldn't be looking that far ahead, if you are, then you should be focusing more on your 401K than an RV.
Focus more on acquiring friends and renting an RV.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Well since I plan on driving for at least the first few years that's good advice. I look into developing a 401k. Thanks buddy
Swope904

Postby FALaholic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 am

The whole purpose is to get you to BM, this year. Rent now, worry about buying later.
FALaholic

Postby Swope904 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 am

Yeah that's the goal hopefully lol
Swope904

Return to Regionals & Events