Oregon Fire Conclave (& Fire Conclave in general)

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Oregon Fire Conclave (& Fire Conclave in general)

Postby The CO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 am

Hi there! Do you spin fire? Do you want to learn to spin fire? Do you want to dance in the great circle & watch the man burn from some of the best seats in the house?

Well, now is the time to get off you bum and start working towards that goal!

Every year, just a few weeks before TTITD, conclaves all across the country get contacted by spinners that want to join. Thing is, in order to be accepted in to the great circle, the groups that get in have been working for months on their performance. Those conclaves must inform the people wanting to join that they are late, and should start working towards next year.

So, in the hope of heading some of that off, or at least smugly point people in the direction of this thread come August, here are a few things to note.

Fire spinners & aspiring fire spinners!
Now is the time for you to contact your local group/troupe/conclave!

Get in touch with your local groups and find out who is Shin, and start practicing!
If you are one of the people that tries the "jackass-come-lately" method described above, you will look like just that... a jackass.

Read this for information on what is required of a conclave, and this afterburn report has information on groups that will likely be auditioning for the great circle.

Now that I have done my lecturing bit....

Fire spinners in Oregon: the Oregon Fire Conclave has begun rehearsals. We welcome spinners of all levels, from novice to ninja. We have a schedule that requires a large amount of practice, 6-8 rehearsals per month. We also have a cutoff time around March, after which we are no longer accepting new members for this year. Our next rehearsal is Sunday, Jan 22, 1pm, at Alberta park in Portland, OR. If any of that sounds interesting, message myself or OregonRed here on eplaya. You can also look us up on the bookface.

More Fire!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: Oregon Fire Conclave (& Fire Conclave in general)

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Having taken part in the Luminiferous Procession that the Lamplighters do which lights up all of the Conclave performers with the ONE FLAME a few times I have to say that playin with the fire in the great circle is one of the more enjoyable things you can do on burn night.. not much beats actually doing SOMETHING related to those festivities..

bonus! you actually have something to look forward to on saturday... you kno.. somethin besides the man burning..

I would say if you are in the area DO IT! Learn Stuff...Sign up! Make it Happen.. Doing Conclave is a totally cool thing!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby JDCookMS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 pm

@The CO I am extremely jealous of y'all! I wish that we had something like that here in Mississippi as I've been wanting to learn for years, but it's just not done here (at least that I can find).

So, everyone that can go to that should definitely go!
JDCookMS

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Sounds cool. Giving this a nudge over to the regionals & events board.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby The CO » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:48 pm

JDcook- I bet there is at least 1 or 2 people in the entire state that spin fire. Have you found any other burner-types? They might know some spinners.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:26 pm

One of our neighboring camps in 2000 was "Isis Hippy" and they were from Mississippi and some of them were fire spinners.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby JDCookMS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:One of our neighboring camps in 2000 was "Isis Hippy" and they were from Mississippi and some of them were fire spinners.

You wouldn't happen to know how to contact any of them? (It doesn't hurt to ask.) I haven't met anybody else from Mississippi that's been out there either, so that would be cool.
JDCookMS

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 pm

not a clue, 12 years ago, sorry!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 am

Well, due to overwhelming response, OFC has now closed to new entrants for 2012. See y'all in the great circle!
The CO

Postby graidawg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 pm

damn I was hoping to try spinning fire this year (i think i may bring a fire staff this time) i kind a didnt manage it last year, you know being a virgin and never getting anywhere i was meant to be because i kept following the shiny things
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby The CO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Grai, that's in reference to the group ORed & I run in oregon. Our cutoff for spinners is 40 (max for any individual conclave) so we have room for safety crew.

You were with fireworks collective last year, yes?
The CO

Return to Regionals & Events