Florida Burners for 2012

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Re: Florida Burners for 2012

Postby lazerfox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm

We're more than likely going to do the box truck but would also like to have our monkey hut and tent so we can sleep during the day. Thinking the truck will probably get too hot in the day time to try to sleep in there.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah.. truck gets blazing hot from noon to 5 primarily from the sheet metal roof heating up and radiating heat inside. Definately bringing a small van and a 120v inverter.

This year, we're going to try some shade relief. Plan is an 18 x 24 silver tarp with 2x pool noodles and PVC piping ran through them. Supports over the roof of the truck with the excess hanging over the sides and tarp lashed around and secured to under the truck. It should give roof and side shade for sure. Materials cost should be pretty minimal..

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:17 am

We have aluminet as part of our monkey hut. We are moving to a different house in 2 weeks time. Maybe we can test your theory...

Want to come over and try? :D
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 am

lazerfox wrote:We have aluminet as part of our monkey hut. We are moving to a different house in 2 weeks time. Maybe we can test your theory...

Want to come over and try? :D

Lol.. we need a box truck and a ton of 1" PVC! It should work. Over in the box truck thread Figjam and I have been talking about it. I think what I'll be using is 6" x 36" HD cardboard tubes and put two per pipe support. I found where we can get a case of 10 of them for $35. Wanna split it? Send the case and the tarp ahead of time to the local FedEx office location and pickup in Reno. Buy the pipe once we're out there.

Use 2 x 1" x 24' PVC pipe sections through the tubes that go the full width of the tarp. Run HD paracord or the like directly through the middle of the pipes and bow them down and around the side of the truck and secure under or to the frame of the truck.

This would give 6" of spacing between the top of the truck and the tarp. Total cost around $100.
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 am

The other cheapo option is to ditch the PVC and just stake it to the ground with rebar stakes. This may actually be a more bullet proof solution. Now that I think about it, I may go for this.

Instant monkey hut with just some cardboard tubes, tarp and rebar.
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

Try to get 12-18 inches clearance between your silver on silver tarp (should be silver on both sides if you can. The tarp will get extremely hot and radiate downward, the foot and a half gap will allow natural airflow to get rid of that heat and keep things from getting hot during the day.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 am

I like the plan of sharing the shipping. The only thing I can forsee being an issue is we don't plan on arriving until Sun morning (depending on flights we may try for Sat at the moment we only have a hotel reserved for Sunday night).

Any idea if you guys arrive in Reno before us do they make you take the entire shipment with you?
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 am

lazerfox wrote:I like the plan of sharing the shipping. The only thing I can forsee being an issue is we don't plan on arriving until Sun morning (depending on flights we may try for Sat at the moment we only have a hotel reserved for Sunday night).

Any idea if you guys arrive in Reno before us do they make you take the entire shipment with you?

We're getting into Reno on Thursday night but not leaving for the playa until Sunday afternoon/early evening. Getting in early to Reno for once not have to rush the Reno preps and pre-cook and freeze some meals at a friends house there in Reno..

So, we could hook up pre-playa for whatever it may be.
junglesmacks

Postby shimgotit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:48 am

I came across this page and became really excited. I was wondering if burners from FL are shipping items out to the playa, or if there is no choice but to drive? 3 of us are coming in from Miami (were virgins...) we discussed driving vs flying, and saving 40+ hours in the car EACH WAY sounds good lol... Is there anyone from South Florida driving to the playa that wouldnt mind taking some stuff, and of course well work out a good 'shipping'/transporting price?

p.s. Im also looking to get together with an experienced burner to pick their brain and get idea... anyone in Miami/ Ft Lauderdale/ WPB??
shimgotit

Postby lazerfox » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:38 am

junglesmacks: I just got in put in contact with a burner couple out in Jax that is driving their trailer and renting out space on it for $1/lb. We are pretty excited and think this would be cheaper than shipping. Think you would want to drive your stuff out to Jax as well for them to take it? Or do you prefer the shipping route?
We also realized our camp will have a BFT as well and maybe we can use our monkey hut PVC and aluminet to place between the trucks and get the shade + less heat in one shot.

shimgotit: we have full time jobs so driving will never be an option for us as we would prefer to spend our days off on playa instead of on the road. So flying is what we do. Some folks drive but most of the burners I know are in central or north fl. If you haven't yet, you should get on the FL burners list.
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 am

Wow.. $1/lb seems really cheap and I'm sure there's some type of space limitations with that as well. I could send 50lbs of PVC piping for a monkey hut but do you know how much space that would take up?

I hate depending on anyone else for anything.. radical self-reliance and all that jazz. My shade plans are to send ahead the tarp to a friends house in Reno and pick up the cord and concrete tube forms when I'm there. We should be good. I can haul the tarp and cord back with me and ditch the tube forms either in a garage or a dumpster.
junglesmacks

Postby shimgotit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 am

the guy charging $1 per pound to drive stuff to the playa sounds real appealing... any way to get in touch with him so I can send my dome with him?
shimgotit

Previous

Return to Regionals & Events