Do any of you go to 4th of Juplaya?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am

you can get a permit if you want more than that, they are only $50
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:you can get a permit if you want more than that, they are only $50



I have a Golden Age permitt. And a Disabled Vet permitt..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10006
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 pm

oh and don't let certain eplayans fire mortars into camp, wait, actualy its rather entertaining
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
User avatar
Snow
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 am
Location: Lost in duststorm

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am

I just heard 4th of Juplaya is not all it's cracked up to be, pretty much a waste of time. I'll just go to the regular burn. :(
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16506
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby teardropper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:18 am

Yeah, not very exciting. Nothing down there but the playa. No art, no bars, no clubs, no portapotties. When I say it's not an event, I mean not an event. Just a camping trip on the moon, without BM. I really don't think most people would like it. Just stay away and save your time and money for Burning Man on the playa.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 am

It's a long ass drive just to get hot and dusty. Probably we should just go clubbing in the city and save our money. :D
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16506
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 am

There is no dust on Playa at that time of the year.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby teardropper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Yeah, isn't it funny how that is. But I have thought most of the dust in BRC was made scraping out 44+ miles of roads.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:00 pm

It's because it's dangerously muddy that time of year.

A picture from last year's festivities:
Image
Just because you have 4WD doesn't mean you can't get stuck. Have fun!
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16506
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

4th of July, 2011 is a Monday

Does anyone know, maybe OED? or other locals? which days/nights people will go to this?

Some Reno freinds of mine asked me if I wanted to go along, I might take them up on it. They know where frogpond is and have been to 12 burns, they're cool
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Nope, never go. One visit to the playa a year is totally enough for me.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm

jkisha wrote:Nope, never go. One visit to the playa a year is totally enough for me.

JK


Yea, I was thinking maybe the one best night, I like close enough.

Being from the sf bay area is a much longer haul, I can imagine JK.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Due to Empire closing, the 4th of Juplaya has been cancelled until further notice.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm still going
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm

moonrise wrote:
jkisha wrote:Nope, never go. One visit to the playa a year is totally enough for me.

JK


Yea, I was thinking maybe the one best night, I like close enough.

Being from the sf bay area is a much longer haul, I can imagine JK.


I live in Los Angeles...even farther than the bay area.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
 
Posts: 12748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm

jkisha wrote:
moonrise wrote:
jkisha wrote:Nope, never go. One visit to the playa a year is totally enough for me.

JK


Yea, I was thinking maybe the one best night, I like close enough.

Being from the sf bay area is a much longer haul, I can imagine JK.


I live in Los Angeles...even farther than the bay area.

JK


What about dry lake in So.Cal? Could you hold one there?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Might see if I can get a van load of burners for quick road trip
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 10006
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:10 pm

I got in trouble for talking about this last year. So let's be sure to make it clear-- this is not a Burning Man event. Nothing to do with it. It is just people going to the playa and camping over, or near, the 4th. Most of the people I met there last year had never been to BM. It is a diverse crowd. Rockets are launched, motorcycles and ATV's are ridden, guns are shot, telescopes watch the night sky. Just people enjoying their BLM land.

But let me add. A BLM ranger was going from camp to camp taking a bit of a census. It seemed the key question was, why are you here? BM was one of their possibilities.

I, too, intend to go out again this year, just as I will go to Rendezvous, another not BM event. That's the Friends of Black Rock Desert/ High Rock Canyon. I was there before I went to BM. I have discovered I like that desert and its playa. And conditions are nothing like they are in Black Rock City. I found a lovely place near the dunes on the south side of the playa where it was very hard and smooth, riding your bike at night without lights and not worrying about it smooth. Since, at the end of January, the playa was under water in many places, it might be a bit wet. But I had no trouble driving my little Subaru around anywhere for Memorial Day Rendezvous or my big motorhome to the hot springs (Double Hot, Frog Pond, Black Rock Hot Spring) over the Fourth, merely using the common sense of not driving on the dark patches.

Fourth of Juplaya is not an organized event. No sponsors beyond the diverse organizations of the people that go. It's your desert, go whenever you feel like it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 pm

unjonharley wrote:Might see if I can get a van load of burners for quick road trip


If you decide to go, and want to make a larger camp, I live in the southern part of the state, you have to go through my city on 97. I would enjoy the company. Let me know.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 pm

teardropper wrote:I got in trouble for talking about this last year. So let's be sure to make it clear-- this is not a Burning Man event. Nothing to do with it. It is just people going to the playa and camping over, or near, the 4th. Most of the people I met there last year had never been to BM. It is a diverse crowd. Rockets are launched, motorcycles and ATV's are ridden, guns are shot, telescopes watch the night sky. Just people enjoying their BLM land.

But let me add. A BLM ranger was going from camp to camp taking a bit of a census. It seemed the key question was, why are you here? BM was one of their possibilities.

I, too, intend to go out again this year, just as I will go to Rendezvous, another not BM event. That's the Friends of Black Rock Desert/ High Rock Canyon. I was there before I went to BM. I have discovered I like that desert and its playa. And conditions are nothing like they are in Black Rock City. I found a lovely place near the dunes on the south side of the playa where it was very hard and smooth, riding your bike at night without lights and not worrying about it smooth. Since, at the end of January, the playa was under water in many places, it might be a bit wet. But I had no trouble driving my little Subaru around anywhere for Memorial Day Rendezvous or my big motorhome to the hot springs (Double Hot, Frog Pond, Black Rock Hot Spring) over the Fourth, merely using the common sense of not driving on the dark patches.

Fourth of Juplaya is not an organized event. No sponsors beyond the diverse organizations of the people that go. It's your desert, go whenever you feel like it.


The key answer is.."what's Burning Man?"....and yes, I have my fireworks permit amongst all my assault rifles. "L" that moment was precious!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:43 pm

TomServo wrote:The key answer is.."what's Burning Man?"....and yes, I have my fireworks permit amongst all my assault rifles. "L" that moment was precious!


Yeah, it does light up a bit at night.

Where do you shoot?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby TomServo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 pm

teardropper wrote:
TomServo wrote:The key answer is.."what's Burning Man?"....and yes, I have my fireworks permit amongst all my assault rifles. "L" that moment was precious!


Yeah, it does light up a bit at night.

Where do you shoot?


At the junk yard, by th frog pond. Did play with my sawed off on the playa though.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah, probably make good money in scrap brass...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Fireworks permit?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 pm

teardropper wrote:I got in trouble for talking about this last year. So let's be sure to make it clear-- this is not a Burning Man event. Nothing to do with it. It is just people going to the playa and camping over, or near, the 4th. Most of the people I met there last year had never been to BM. It is a diverse crowd. Rockets are launched, motorcycles and ATV's are ridden, guns are shot, telescopes watch the night sky. Just people enjoying their BLM land.

But let me add. A BLM ranger was going from camp to camp taking a bit of a census. It seemed the key question was, why are you here? BM was one of their possibilities.

I, too, intend to go out again this year, just as I will go to Rendezvous, another not BM event. That's the Friends of Black Rock Desert/ High Rock Canyon. I was there before I went to BM. I have discovered I like that desert and its playa. And conditions are nothing like they are in Black Rock City. I found a lovely place near the dunes on the south side of the playa where it was very hard and smooth, riding your bike at night without lights and not worrying about it smooth. Since, at the end of January, the playa was under water in many places, it might be a bit wet. But I had no trouble driving my little Subaru around anywhere for Memorial Day Rendezvous or my big motorhome to the hot springs (Double Hot, Frog Pond, Black Rock Hot Spring) over the Fourth, merely using the common sense of not driving on the dark patches.

Fourth of Juplaya is not an organized event. No sponsors beyond the diverse organizations of the people that go. It's your desert, go whenever you feel like it.


Thanks for the info teardropper (and everyone else) not sure how you got in hot water, other than the hot springs. got it, NOT BM related. for what it's worth i've heard about it from locals who grew up in Gerlach in the 60's to recent, they've since moved away but they mentioned it years ago, shooting off fireworks and riding atv's etc, they found a $20 gold piece at a Charlie Chaplan movie site, there's a lot that's gone on up there. Unrelated to BM.

I'm close enough to ride along with friends, maybe one night would be kewl.
probably best if asked by government whoevers to say 'just camping, whats burning man?' hahahah, we can do that easily.

I met the friends of the desert folks, nice people, the 'frogbat' neon sign had lost it's wings, I hope they got it fixed back up. They organize plenty of hikes and hot spring visits if I recall correctly.

many locals go to the land speed event, also other events, i fully agree, it is a big beautiful public land space. No MOOPing, we'll call it litter if a gubbermint whoever asks. NOT BM related, it is none of their business what is inside my head, they cannot read minds and we all pay taxes on that land. What's burning man officer?

nothing to see here folks, move along....(until the 4th draws closer)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby teardropper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Image

http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/

This is a link to the Friends site. Not only good people, but they do good work down there. Work projects. Build fences, take some down, clean up, spring evaluation. And incredible education about the desert in general and, of course, the playa. It's good, since you live so close, to go down, if for nothing else, the hot springs. Some you can actually get. Do beware, though.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks teardropper

I gave a donation and met some of them in person, they're good burners.
(I have a feeling they'd go soaking with folks/burners, if the timing is right)
Due to the USG plant closure, I wonder how everything is going out there?

A freind told me the mine in Lovelock is/will re-open, this is some good news, maybe there's still hope for Empire/Gerlach? Who knows?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

teardropper wrote:Image

http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/

This is a link to the Friends site. Not only good people, but they do good work down there. Work projects. Build fences, take some down, clean up, spring evaluation. And incredible education about the desert in general and, of course, the playa. It's good, since you live so close, to go down, if for nothing else, the hot springs. Some you can actually get. Do beware, though.


Keep in mind that they now close the frogponds through that weekend, you will be removed from the ponds even if you walk in to go for a dip.

Image
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby teardropper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 am

Yeah, I guess I knew that was private property. I know they had tried to close it in the past.

I heard a rumor that BMorg bought it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby TomServo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 am

NEVER camped at frog pond...but last time I went up, I noticed it was packed. I camp on the playa, and can live without the hotsprings. Maybe Ill bring my hot tub. I hate diving into dark water anyways...and the god damned tadpoles nipping at your ass..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

PreviousNext

Return to Regionals & Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest