Call out for North Carolina Burners and surrounding areas!

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Call out for North Carolina Burners and surrounding areas!

Postby madzaphod » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:43 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to post something in eplaya about the growing NC regional community and some cool projects we have in the works both locally and playaside.

Starting some good community in the default world before we hit the desert is always a cool thing! AND if you join the the NC list, even if your not terribly local, you will find out about ongoing projects and other fun stuff that might be worth a little bit effort, after all, nothing wrong with a road trip with friends and Burners on the other end, right?!

Go here: http://regionals.burningman.com/#northamerica

And point and click to any available states with reps near you. The NC contact info is a bit dated, but it IS active! Give a shout out to me and it will be answered! And hell if your in a state with no regional rep, volunteer! You choose your own level of involvement. Volunteering rocks!

Over and Out~

~Diesel
NC Regional Rep
~Primal Dreams and Playa Screams~
madzaphod

Postby ojocam » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:51 pm

Hey from Greensboro.

'04 will be our first burningman, and we're looking forward to meeting some local burners as the weather gets warmer. We just got an antique travel trailer that we are refurbing, and it's grand maiden voyage will be to burningman!

I've been getting the JRS newsletter for almost 2 years, looking at burners' webpages for ages, so it's time for us to bite the bullet and get on out there!

Dave
ojocam

Postby Kevmesa » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:32 pm

[/b]Hello from Raleigh were heading west to the great cirle of friends and good company hope to see you there or enroute.
Kevmesa

I was wondering how long it would take

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:01 pm

I was wondering how long it would take you to start trying to corrupt those poor devils down there in NC.

Vic cooks a great steak for poor sodden rangers but watch out, he forgets his sleeping bag.

3 months to PDF!

s
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.
Silver

Postby rallyncburn » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:43 am

Hi all! I'll be going to BM this year. I bought my ticket, so now it is just a matter of planning the whole gig. This will be my first time. (Funny, I can't remember the last time I categorized myself as a virgin). I would be interested in meeting some of you locals sometime before making the trip. Right now I'm planning to travel alone, but that is subject to change. I don't get on the board very often, but as the time nears I will be doing more planning, so will be on more often. If any of you have driven before I would be especially interested in the routes you took. Also if any are planning a theme camp or other art form I would be interested in hearing about it and possibly helping. "Possibly" only because my time is pretty limited right now.
rallyncburn

Okay everyone, lets RACE!

Postby gilbot » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:30 pm

In true NC fashion, Lets have a ROAD RACE to the playa, A LA Cannonball Run! Last one there buys the Tequila.

Anybody have plans for Compression/ Decompression? I am considering a send off in Asheville, if....I.....don't (gasp).......flytoIdahotorentanRV. THERE, I said it..........(the shame).

For all you first timers....WOW I envy you. It is one HELL of a journey, and I HIGHLY recommend volunteering with greeters, DPW, or some other core community so you can get there early and watch the city grow out of the desert from NOTHING. and Remember these travel tips:

1) Drive thru Texas and Oklahoma at night. Seriously. Thier treeless misery is painful to our NC eyes.
2) Meteor Crater is worth the admission fee.
3) New Mexico Truck stops are the BEST
4) Take the North Route home. You'll need St. Louis by the time you get there. And its a prettier ride.
5) I know its tempting, but skip Vegas on your way in. It will a) explode your radiator because your approach vector is directly up a giant mountain range in billion degree weather after 48 hours of solid driving. b) Expose you to the UGLY OPPOSITE of BM and taint your travel glee and c) put you a tough 11 hours out of BRC, across the NOTHING of central Nevada.

SPANKINGS to you ALL

GILBOT
"Abnormal Pleasures kill the taste for normal ones" A. Nin
gilbot

Postby Isotopia » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:22 pm

For all you first timers....I HIGHLY recommend volunteering with greeters, DPW, or some other core community so you can get there early and watch the city grow out of the desert from NOTHING.

I don't think this is good information.

If one decides to volunterr for the sake of getting to the event early I believe most folks involved in the volunteering aspect of the event would suggest that you stay away until the event officially opens. Having said that, volunteering does NOT and will NOT guarantee you a space in front of the line. In fact, DPW, Rangers, Gate, etc. strictly limit their numbers of pre-event volunteers and those include folks who've worked for months up near the playa or with the BM project office.

Do NOT expect to show up a week or two pre-event and be welcomed inside Black Rock City as it's being put together - especially if you're showing up as a first timer. Don't mean to be harsh or cruel but them's pretty much the facts.

There've been way too many problems with folks doing this and the general consensus is that such folks are more often than not a distraction and end up being more taxing on the event than what they usually contribute in terms of building the city.
Isotopia

Postby gilbot » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:40 am

Thanks for correcting me, my post was really misleading. I participated heavily on eplaya in the months leading up to my first burn, and well in advance was scheduled to be there working. I was expected. I showed up three days early, to set up and decorate the greeters station, and I worked my ass off. It was wonderful, would not have had it any other way. But you are right for correcting me, as there are not too many places where a first timer can be effective before the event starts unless they are really commited. SO I will amend my statement

First timers should get there the first day and STILL find some way to contribute to the community. There is NO BETTER WAY to get the most out of your experience, and minimize culture shock, than to directly participate in the functioning of Black Rock City......greeting, recycle camp, lamplighters, Burning Band, simple stuff. In no way do I advocate showing up unexpected to heavy DPW detail or RANGERS as a newbie, you'd be in WAAAAY over your head. Not to mention, kicked off the playa.

As far as getting there early to get good spots. Getting there early doesn't do anything of the sort. Camping close to center camp is TERRIBLE, and you have no way of picking your neighbors if you are the first one there.

I, more than anything, want to encourage newbies to PARTICIPATE if they can spare the time and energy. It makes it a much more personally transforming experience.

Cheers!
"Abnormal Pleasures kill the taste for normal ones" A. Nin
gilbot

Return to Regionals & Events