so many Aussies but no posts?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

so many Aussies but no posts?

Postby redstar » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:05 pm

:P

I always knew there were at least a few of us out there, but this year I managed to run into a camp of about 15-20 in my travels - its always nice to meet other wandering Aussies on the playa.
redstar

Postby DingoJones » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:31 pm

:shock: Dude, I've been a fan of the Burn for years, but have always thought the logistics of getting there where to great...
it comes a great shock to find that Aussie's have been going for years...
I'm desperate, how did you do it....
tell me all...
DingoJones

BrisVegas

Postby redstar » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:43 pm

Dingo - I notice you're a local :) There are at least a few other Brisbane-ites I know that go, and a few more planning the trip next year.

This year was my second burn. Logistically, I take pretty much everything I need with me already minus last minute things and food - and fly out to SF where I have a couple of friends (who babysit my tent). I camped with their group this year, though there are plenty of other options if you don't have a camp - International Burner Hostel, going it alone, or with a friend, hooking up with a camp that appeals to you, etc.

Are there other things you are particularly thinking of?
redstar

Postby DingoJones » Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:11 am

one question that springs to mind is you said that you take all your gear?...do you costume up while you where there?... if I was going I would love to get some pritty wild looks going for my time on the playa, but I was thinking of how much more luggage that would be...any tips?...
DingoJones

luggage

Postby redstar » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:04 pm

Maybe I just plan and pack well, but I took about 5 or 6 costumes which I wore during the week with me. I also had to have stuff for a couple days in SF, plus all the essentials like first aid, sunscreen, all that stuff, though you can buy a lot of that when you arrive, especially if you are happy not to bring it home. I didn't find it too hard to deal with the luggage issue, especially if you aren't taking over a tent or anything big with you - get it while there, or borrow one.

My luggage was even a couple of kilos under going over.
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Ghandi
redstar

gear for BM

Postby Tiara » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:17 pm

I lived in Australia for a year. I've lived in the US the rest of my life. Even given the exchange rates, I found that most camping/outdoor gear is actually less expensive on this side of the Pacific, so no reason to haul it from Australia.

Also, most airlines are more forgiving about the amount of luggage you can check when you depart from an American airport, so perhaps you can get some of your new gear back home to use again.

If you are considering shipping anything here, I would suggest that you compare shipping costs to the fee for bringing an extra piece of luggage with you. I found that it was less expensive to pay the excess baggage fee. Also, there are far fewer hassles with US Customs, and a much lower chance that your items will be delayed in transit.

For anyone who stumbles across this post prior to BM 2004, who is contemplating a trip to the Burn from Down Under, please feel free to drop me an email with questions, etc.
Tiara

chek republic born,, Aussie accent. where are you

Postby night4day » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:13 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

babe where are you ?? I missed you at the death guild.. (THUNDER DOME)! You had a great Aussie accent but was born in the eastern block country.. You where hot too.. we shared a snack and talk about life.. You where so kool! You where on you way to school after the burn. I was the guy in the Military NAVY.. From LOS ANGELES..
night4day

chek republic born,, Aussie accent. where are you

Postby night4day » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

babe where are you ?? I missed you at the death guild.. (THUNDER DOME)! You had a great Aussie accent but was born in the eastern block country.. You where hot too.. we shared a snack and talk about life.. You where so kool! You where on you way to school after the burn. I was the guy in the Military NAVY.. From LOS ANGELES..
night4day

Return to Regionals & Events