Found: Segway brought home from BM

Re: Found: Segway brought home from BM

Postby lemur » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 am

turns out that awesome pair of goggles you found in 2009......

well they were owned by a disabled person who just had their eyesight return after 6 months of painful recovery when they were blew up in an IED attack..

man, how dare you steal the goggles of a disabled legally blind american hero ...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Maybe the goggles didn't have a lock and chain on them.

On another note....
The value of most mobility machines would qaulify a finders keepers (asshat) for grand theft, have fun with that.
I found a segway? Next time you 'find" something along those lines, you ought to consider turning it in to the nearest LEO. If someone 'found" my disabled person's golfcart, you bet there'd be a vigorous search for it, using any and all legal channels.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:18 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:The disabled burner you stole a locked mobility vehicle from is no longer with us.\

Huh? Is the owner dead? did you know him?

Huh?

The victim is deceased. Yes I knew him. The OP meant for this post to be an attack on the former "owner" knowing full well that he read these forums.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 am

BRCP, tell me the story. What's up with that? Did the owner of this die on the playa or taken from the event?
Sham

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 am

Sorry to hear it. Please relay a message to the individual's next of kin regarding the Segway. They should have the paperwork (including serial number) and can contact @starkravingrad to make arrangements for the return of the property. Have to say, though, I'm surprised that if someone knew of a mutant vehicle that drove off with a handicapped person's mobility vehicle, nothing would have been said or posted about that...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby SaritaSyrah » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm

This entire thread is just confusing. Who died? Who found what? Can I have the segway?

:) Drama, drama. Nothing is safe from it.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 pm

I don't trust a thing that BRCP says, to be honest. I've witnessed too many sub par fabrications.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TonetheBMnoob » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Lol, I definitely dont want the segway. Feel like thats just some bad ju ju. Terrible to hear about the disabled man getting his vehicle jacked though. Kinda reminds me of a thread I read not too long ago about attaching tazers to bikes for some kind of sercurity. Shocking isnt it... :P
TonetheBMnoob

Postby wedeliver » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 am

Yeah man so me and my friends where walking around during the man burn and found this motor home and it had been abaondoned, there was nobody there, and the keys were in it so we dragged it home and since onbody claimed it we took it back to Encino. I am wondering why the op did not take the expensive machine to playa info and turn it in, rather then taking if home with them.

What the fuck. this kind of gets me mad. Leave my shit alone, if you "find" something on the playa I left it there and I am coming back for it. DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT. and I am not an idiot or stupid, I just thought everyone would respect my stuff, knowing it is not their stuff, and just leave it alone. thank you

I am begining to think that there might be some people who come to Black Rock City to steal. We be easy pickings
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 am

I for one would give anything to meet the "disabled burner" that uses a Segway as a mobility tool.

Think about that for a second.

..oh I forgot, he's not only disabled but using a Segway, but also dead now.. BRCP?

I was making up more believable stories in Kindergarten.. :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby lemur » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 am

I in fact know a disabled burner who uses a segway to get around along with having a license for a vehicle.

not every person with a disability has one related to what appears to be their physical mobility.

if you want to meet him come to lamplighters at around 5pm in center camp.
lemur

Postby wedeliver » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 am

junglesmacks wrote:I for one would give anything to meet the "disabled burner" that uses a Segway as a mobility tool.

Think about that for a second.

..oh I forgot, he's not only disabled but using a Segway, but also dead now.. BRCP?

I was making up more believable stories in Kindergarten.. :lol:

ANYTHING YOU SAY?? PONY UP MY FRIEND, LESSON TIME! (so you started lying in Kindergarten and you are proud of that I hear?)

I really don't understand what you mean? I am disabled, I collect disability, I have a permit to park in those spaces at the market etc. I get a permit from DMV to drive either my golf cart or my mule around the playa. I also have a schwinn scooter and I use it standing up at BRC. I am 62 years old a vietnam vet and I have difficulty walking although I can bench press 180lbs. As a lot of folks my age are dealing with ageing as best we can. There is no excuse for someone taking someones vehicle, be it a bike, scooter, skateboard etc. What I see in this post is Grand Theft and then folks somehow or another justifying it.

and for people that want to judge others, perhaps look in the mirror first if you want to see someone who is truly handicapped!
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 am

Lol.. easy, gramps. I was doubting the legitimacy of BRCP's story, not digging on disabled people.

To me, a Segway seems like one of the most dangerous/poor/rare choices for a disabled person as it requires balance and interaction with all 4 limbs. Those things are dangerous to a fully able person, let alone a disabled one.

Now, puppy kicking and eye poking. Time to get back to that.
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 am

I wouldn't rush to go throwing blame at anybody. For starters, it boggles my mind that BRCP (or anybody else) would have watched a mutant vehicle grab somebody's vehicle (never mind that it's a physically disabled person's mobility vehicle) out in the deep playa and drive off and not mention anything to anybody. Even if it was just a beat up bike, that seems like something that someone would raise a flag on, and this was much spendier than a bike. Did the witnesses just happen to forget? A packed and loaded bus full of gear that gets parked/stored after the playa, and then not dug through for a couple months certainly seems plausible, as does the original poster's story.

As for taking stuff off the playa, I'm mixed on that one. Leaving a locked (I'm assuming undrive-able) heavy item out in deep playa seems like a bad move - once the party breaks up there aren't any landmarks for the owner to come back to, and if it's not driveable that's quite a haul/drag. If it were me, I'd have thrown it on the bus too. Of course, I'd have dropped it at playa info…. but it's possible they didn't know or just didn't think of it at the time. If their intent was just to swipe someone's segway, that could have already been easily accomplished, and posting here would serve no purpose.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:33 am

trilobyte wrote: If their intent was just to swipe someone's segway, that could have already been easily accomplished, and posting here would serve no purpose.

Except to get the code so they can make the thing work without a key in their hand.
I know, I already said that, and I still think that is why they posted here, regardless of the BS stories about it that followed.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 am

If they aren't clever enough to make it work without a code, they shouldn't call themselves a burner...just sayin 8)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am

jella wrote:If they aren't clever enough to make it work without a code, they shouldn't call themselves a burner...just sayin 8)

Junglesmacks approves and wholeheartedly agrees with this post 8)
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 am

When did jella become the leader of an international theft ring?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:01 pm

oh I have my secrets...hehe.

Honeslty I do not approve of theft, I only meant that if it was left behind and couldn't finds it's rightful owner oh heck..... back paddle back paddle...My rep is ruined :(
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

jella wrote:oh I have my secrets...hehe.

Honeslty I do not approve of theft, I only meant that if it was left behind and couldn't finds it's rightful owner oh heck..... back paddle back paddle...My rep is ruined :(

Lol.. no.. you were not advocating theft, just specifically stating that burners have skills. You know.. nunchuck skills, computer hacking skills..

junglesmacks

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Ok so long as we're clear on that point...Magiver the damn thing already and be done with it. sheesh :roll:
jella

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 pm

That could be possible, OED, but I'm pretty sure vehicle theft technology has reached a level where locks and codes can be breached without too much trouble. Then again, they never stole any segways in that gone in 60 seconds movie, you never know...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Don't worry. If anyone asks me to prove my allegations I'll back pedal so hard and so fast that I'll end up in last Tuesday.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Seriously, I knew that was a potentially "edgy" joke when I made it, and if you want a full public apology, I'll make one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Don't worry. If anyone asks me to prove my allegations I'll back pedal so hard and so fast that I'll end up in last Tuesday.

Awww fishy I love you !
jella

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

trilobyte wrote:That could be possible, OED, but I'm pretty sure vehicle theft technology has reached a level where locks and codes can be breached without too much trouble. Then again, they never stole any segways in that gone in 60 seconds movie, you never know...

True that, but the fact that they came here hoping for an easy workaround makes me think these kids aren't smart enough to get around a locked laptop, yet along figure out how to bugger the thingy on a segway.

I have seen one torn apart, and they are fucked without a code, and you get the code from Segway via serial number for that specific infokey controller that is specific for that unit, and the serial number is NOT on the unit, only the original purchaser has that
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Oh, the plot thickens!!

I lost sight of my moonmobile, for about 6 hours, good thing it's too heavy & bulky to cram in a bus.

How could someone 'forget' a "lost" segway packed away in a bus?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

so it's a complicated paperweight now ?!
jella

Postby Nipple » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:03 pm

trilobyte wrote:That could be possible, OED, but I'm pretty sure vehicle theft technology has reached a level where locks and codes can be breached without too much trouble. Then again, they never stole any segways in that gone in 60 seconds movie, you never know...

Half a Block Away in 60 Seconds
Nipple

Postby lemur » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Penalties. a holder who fails to report, pay or deliver property within the prescribed time is required to pay interest at the rate of 18 percent annually on the property or value thereof from the date the property should have been reported, paid or delivered. A holder who fails to report, pay or deliver property within the prescribed time or fails to perform other duties imposed is required to pay, in addition to interest as provided above, a civil penalty of $200 for each day the report, payment or delivery is withheld or the duty is not performed, up to a maximum of $5,000.

A holder who willfully fails to report, pay or deliver property within the prescribed time or willfully fails to perform other duties imposed is also subject to a civil penalty of $1,000 for each day the report, payment or delivery is withheld or the duty is not performed, up to a maximum of $25,000, plus 25 percent of the value of any property that should have been but was not reported.

In addition, if an examination of the records of a person results in the disclosure of reportable property, the Treasurer may assess the cost of the examination against the holder at the rate of $200 a day for each examiner or a greater amount that is reasonable and was incurred. However, the assessment may not exceed the value of the property found to be reportable.

Unclaimed Property Division
Office of the State Treasurer
Grant Sawyer Building
555 E. Washington Ave, Suite 4200
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
(800) 521-0019 (Toll Free-Nevada only)
(702) 486-4140 (Local)
Email: unclaimedproperty@nevadatreasurer.gov
lemur

PreviousNext