Burned by "The Man"

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.

Burned by "The Man"

Postby Carrie » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:41 am

I've never been to burningman before. I keep saying "next year, maybe I'll go."
So this year I've decided to wait until the last minute to head out to this supposed uncapitalistic, non-corporate, sharing place which you all call burningman. And I post to several websites to try and get a ticket. In the past hour, my phone has been flooded with calls from scalpers trying to sell me tickets for $300! Is this the burningman way? Is this what burningman has become? The next Corporate America? Maybe I'm just not destined to find out and will keep all my preconceived notions. Because as of now, they seem to be valid.
If anyone knows where I can get a face value ticket, please let me know.
Carrie

Postby atossab » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:04 pm

Carrie,

The ticket prices WERE 165 if you really wanted to go. They have been steadily rising and will be $350 at the gate. You know why? To keep people like YOU from coming. So you decided to do something at the last minute which people plan a year for. . . quit your complaining and start saving up for next year.

God you're annoying.
atossab

Postby atossab » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:08 pm

P.S.

I know where to get face value tickets, but I wouldn't tell you if you BEGGED.
atossab

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:03 pm

Lol, you're quite a joke Atossab. While the people/promoters of BM do want people to come at the begining of the week and hopefully participate in the year-long activities, it's not against the rules to come late. If so, they'd close the doors early. There really is no reason to be rude, especially to a first time burner. Sure, she didn't know that the tickets are more expensive for this reason, but being a jackass instead of teaching her how things go really only reflects on your own character.

Don't mind his outburst Carrie, there will always be selfish burners who want it all for themselves ;) Best of luck finding your ticket. Maybe browse your local Craigslist.

-Tim
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.
--Ever--

Postby icariancypher » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:55 pm

--Ever-- is right. There are still tickets out there for less, and there are still people with kind enough hearts to help out. Good luck, and hope to see you on the playa!
Touch the Sun
icariancypher

Postby atossab » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:31 pm

...So this year I've decided to wait until the last minute to head out to this supposed...
Supposed? Rude. Bitchy.
Carrie also said:
...Is this what burningman has become? The next Corporate America?
Presumptious, uninformed, bitchy.
and,
Maybe I'm just not destined to find out and will keep all my preconceived notions.
is this a threat? bitchy.

and
scalpers trying to sell me tickets for $300! Is this the burningman way? Is this what burningman has become?
Just obnoxious.

Nice word, Jackass. Carrie might sound like a newby burner to you but she sounds like a troll to me. She DECIDED to wait till the last minute, she may KEEP her pre-conceived notions, and she wonders if SCALPERS returning her last minute please are the burning man way.

Hmm, I'm rude only because she could have posted an inquiery on the ticket thread like everyone else. Hell, she could have posted just her last line "if any one knows where I can get a face value ticket..." and that would have been enough for any Burner to help her out. All the other bullshit is Trolly and it smacks of lack of research or really giving a shit about going, by her own admission. I don't want to keep burning man to myself, I tell everyone I can about it and am trying to talk some people into coming last minute. So I guess in my eyes you are the jackass. And I have been helping other people find face value tickets who aren't so ridiculous.
atossab

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:48 pm

All the quotes you found of hers are from the same thing: She simply didn't know that the ticket prices go up to influence people to come early. What should someone do in this case? A-Be rude and get angry with her or B- tell her that "the ticket prices go up to influence people to come early." It's really that simple.

Sure, she shouldn't have assumed that the organization might becoming too "Corporate." Is this something to be a jackass over? No. Go back and read her post more carefully and you'll see that she's *asking* whether or not her assumptions are correct, she's not stating that BurningMan sucks or anything because of ticket prices, as you seem to suppose.

So I guess in my eyes you are the jackass

Lol.
--Ever--

Postby atossab » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, well I'm lauging out Louder. Just kidding. When did I turn into an eplaya freak? eech.

I don't understand it when people admit that they are doing something last minute and haven't really looked into it, then start bashing the thing they're trying to do because it didn't work out their way right away. Hers was an outburst first and a request for assistance second.

Anyway, Dear Claire, it is entirely possible to find a face value ticket. It being so last minute makes it more challenging. As gate prices are now $300, sounds like the scalpers you refer to are really upping their ticket price to match gate price which Burning Man does NOT endorse. In the future, instead of assuming that this "supposedly" un-capitalistic event is turning into corporate America, you may want to read the Ticket thread and the main website regarding tickets and also do a Search for tickets on the eplaya first. Then, you will not sound so rude just because you are uninformed, and this may be useful advice in general for you.

Is that better?
atossab

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:43 pm

Quite proper, if I may add ;)

Now if I could only rewind a few days and postpone college, I'd be on the playa instead of trapped here on the forums as well!

peace
-tim
--Ever--

Postby atossab » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:49 pm

Right back at ya. Did I see you post on another thread today that you might be flying out on Thurs to Reno after all? I hope you make it.
atossab

Postby --Ever-- » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:01 pm

Yep, that was me. I'm still considering it, however a ride from Reno to BM isn't set up yet and doesn't look all that promising. Wish me luck ;)

Do you have plans to make it this year?

-T
--Ever--

Postby atossab » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:00 am

I wish you luck! I'm leaving from San Diego today at 4:00pm, right after work. The car is packed to the hilt and I barely fit in there or we'd offer you a ride, = ( .
atossab

Postby --Ever-- » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:24 am

How coincidental! I'm not let down though because I'm already over missing the event (well, as much as possible at least). Thanks for the semi-offer though, maybe next year? I'm determined to make it work out, hopefully from the begining of the week. I'm considering taking the semester off school and do BM then some serious traveling...

Enjoy your stay! Drive safe.
-T
--Ever--

tickets for face value?

Postby jupiterblue » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:15 pm

hi there. i am praying hard to the divine and doing my share of the work as well to get to the playa. this will be my first time, if she (or perhaps you) grant me a miracle. do you know where i could get a ticket for myself, and my friend (an old vet of BM) a ticket at face value. i didn't think for a minute i would be able to go this year, so i didn't bother to plan. but lo and behold, the spirit moves me, i've got the cash in hand...now, i just need a ticket:-)

your help would be deeply appreciated.

thanks
-jupiterblue
jupiterblue

Postby --Ever-- » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:25 pm

Jupiterblue-

I'd recomend posting your message in the "Tickets" part of the forum. You're chances are higher (but still very slim) there!
-Tim
--Ever--

Return to 2004 Share