Early Art Install Setup Partner(s) Needed - Meet in Reno

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.

Early Art Install Setup Partner(s) Needed - Meet in Reno

Postby EricMagic » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:56 am

If you will be in Reno on Aug. 27 to 28, and wish to help in an art installation or hauling things please let me know. I will be going early to Black Rock planning to arrive that Aug. 28 or early Aug. 29, to set up an art installation. I have permission to come early, and if you help me I am sure they will allow you in early as well.

During Aug. 27 and 28 we might help one another in finding good supplies, carrying supplies, and navigating up to Black Rock.

I am coming into Reno on Aug. 27 midday via airplane at the Reno International Airport, and will rent a SUV/Jeep from the airport. However, many car rental places do not allow towing of items, nor putting things on top. The problem with that we are going to put up an art installation and I need to buy 10' rigid EMT poles and haul three to four to Black Rock.

If you have a large truck or RV that can accommodate 10' - 1" dia poles (two to four), then I would love your help. Maybe I can help you in some way?

I am going to get the stuff up there one way or another, even if it means cutting the poles in half and connecting them later at Black Rock.
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>
EricMagic

Sorry maybe not the reply you want but...

Postby slimehag » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:18 pm

What are 10' rigid EMT poles and where will you get them?

They sound just what I need for another installation.

All help will be received with intense gratitude.

BTW what is you installation, how much help do you need with it? I will be flying into Reno too but later. However if I find I need to get the same poles we could be sharing a problem. If possible we should lay the goundwork for sharing a solution.
slimehag

Postby Badger » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:22 pm

I have permission to come early, and if you help me I am sure they will allow you in early as well.

You need to rethink that Eric. Unless arrangements have been made for each person in your party they won't be getting in.

This is going to be verified 'officially' on the e-playa by the person in charge of the gate within the next few days.

No one gets in under your name or your camp's name.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Thanks Mr. Badger

Postby slimehag » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:32 pm

There would be nothing worse than being stranded outside the gate for a couple of days.

I was thinking more along the lines of finding a common solution to the pole transportation thing in some way.
slimehag

Postby ibdave » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:27 pm

ericmagic, See your in box at the top of this screen.. Or e-mail me.. Dave

dcdkfam@sbcglobal.net
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Clarifying the request for help

Postby EricMagic » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:49 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. Let me clarify a few important items.

Getting In Early
I will make arrangements for anyone who helps with the art installation.
They will be become part of the party and I will notify the Burning Man persons well in advance and according to the proper procedures. I will be able to get you in providing you respond in a timely manner, and you come to the gate at about the same time as I do. I will take the first 1 to 3 persons who can give a firm commitment to helping.

Rigid EMT Descrip
It is like regular electrical metal tubing (EMT) except that it is very stiff, and does not bend that easily, nor is it easy to cut. It is available from better hardware stores and electrical supply stores. I need 1" diameter size and connect several together for an art installation.

Flex EMT Hauling
I will also be transporting some 3/4" flex EMT from a local hardware store that I can probably get in my rental. However, if you want any help with a dome frame I can help you since I can make extra connectors and all you would need to do is buy the EMT and cut it up, and provide the covering material.
<>
<>
EricMagic

Postby lmental » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:51 pm

Hi Eric,
I read your msg and am interested in helping you. This is my 6th year, and I planned on arriving Saturday as well, assisting with a friend's installation which just fell through. I am in the process of borrowing or renting a truck as we have a shade structure, etc to transport from SF. Assuming all works out as planned (will be certain by the end of this week), we (boyfriend/self) would love to help you. My project, a performance piece, is very low maintenance, so the time is there.
I will be in touch as the truck details are solidified. Let me know if you are still in need of assistance and anything else you'd like to tell me.
Take care, Liz
lmental

Eric, do you still need help??

Postby lava » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:04 pm

I'm heading out to BRC 8/28 to construct an art installation. Hauling sculpture, trailer, etc. Could probably help you with transportation of supplies. Am headed through Fernley, Nevada to BRC. You may be able to purchase your supplies there (via phone), and I can pick them up on my way through and meet you out there. Let me know.
May also be able to assist you with the construction of your project once my hands are free of mine.
Take care, lava
Freedom Fighter
lava

Eric, do you still need help??

Postby lava » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:07 pm

I'm heading out to BRC 8/28 to construct an art installation. Hauling sculpture, trailer, etc. Could probably help you with transportation of supplies. Am headed through Fernley, Nevada to BRC. You may be able to purchase your supplies there (via phone), and I can pick them up on my way through and meet you out there. Let me know.
May also be able to assist you with the construction of your project once my hands are free of mine.
Take care, lava
Freedom Fighter
lava

Wow - Nice People Out There

Postby EricMagic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Almost everything is taken care of, but a little more help will still be welcomed. Thanks for the feedback and offers to help.

More help is especially needed, if we add more eleborate touches to the art install such as large color streamers, inticrate lighting and so on. And will need more help if we also open a 4 to 12 hour/day theme camp indirectly related to the art install. However, the Art Install is very high priority, and in some cases will be a gathering spot and "sort of" like a spiritual and unique pseudo- theme camp that would be somewhat calm and meditation focused.

The art install is basically a set of five flag mounts/poles with a kiosk for interactive feedback, that is featuring a new flag that is about key life principles. It will be large with an area about 42' x 42' and 35' high. It is a very beatiful flag with many symbolic meanings that does not stand for any country, nor a type of people, but instead key ideas of life like love, justice, anti-corruption, defense, freedom, elements, awareness, communicaiton, and imangination, and so on.

The tenative theme camp would be very flexible in how it operates and be called the "Life Philosophy Twisting Dance Camp" that focues on discussions of philoshopy, games of twister, and dancing and fun that help manifest ideas of philosophy, fun, and principles of life.
<>
<>
EricMagic

Wow - Nice People Out There

Postby EricMagic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:55 pm

Almost everything is taken care of, but a little more help will still be welcomed. Thanks for the feedback and offers to help.

More help is especially needed, if we add more eleborate touches to the art install such as large color streamers, inticrate lighting and so on. And will need more help if we also open a 4 to 12 hour/day theme camp indirectly related to the art install. However, the Art Install is very high priority, and in some cases will be a gathering spot and "sort of" like a spiritual and unique pseudo- theme camp that would be somewhat calm and meditation focused.

The art install is basically a set of five flag mounts/poles with a kiosk for interactive feedback, that is featuring a new flag that is about key life principles. It will be large with an area about 42' x 42' and 35' high. It is a very beatiful flag with many symbolic meanings that does not stand for any country, nor a type of people, but instead key ideas of life like love, justice, anti-corruption, defense, freedom, elements, awareness, communicaiton, and imangination, and so on.

The tenative theme camp would be very flexible in how it operates and be called the "Life Philosophy Twisting Dance Camp" that focues on discussions of philoshopy, games of twister, and dancing and fun that help manifest ideas of philosophy, fun, and principles of life.
<>
<>
EricMagic

Return to 2004 Share