Anyone tattooing on playa?

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.

Anyone tattooing on playa?

Postby Clownsuit » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:45 pm

I'm getting married this year, and will be getting a tattoo instead of a ring. Is anyone going to be doing tats on the playa? It will be a surprise for my new bride, so I can't get it beforehand. I'd love to barter something for some work sometime during the week.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Clownsuit

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:23 am

I was asking about this last year. I wanted another new tattoo & thought - hey, who better than the freaks at Burning Man?

Veterans helped bring me back down to reality. Burning Man is dirty, and not just in a get-thyself-to-church-thou-sinner sort of way. There's just no explaining the dust or how pervasive it is or how quickly it reappears or how difficult it is to get rid of. Plus, it's a camping trip. Most/many of us haven't had a real shower in days.

Short version: due to the logistics involved in creating a sanitary and safe environment you really wouldn't want to get tattooed on the playa any more than you'd like to get get surgery or deliver a child there.

And if you get one before you go - do it soon. Give it long enough to scab and heal so that you're not scraping alkalai out of the A&D ointment covering your new flesh wound. Otherwise, your tattoo might take on some interesting but unwanted oozy 3-D characteristics.

Postby pokiedot » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:58 pm

i agree. the deser is too harsh of an environment for a tattoo to begin to heal properly.

how 'bout getting one on the way home, in reno maybe?
pokiedot

Need tatt still??

Postby lava » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:03 pm

Hey clownsuit,

I'm not sure where Skyler and Polkiedot have been snoozing, but if you are in need of a tatt, especially for your wedding day- I'm available. Send me an idea of your design so that I can do your day up right.
Don't mean to be so critical of the prior commentary, but being a native Nevadan that's used to dealing with "alkalai flats", as well as working in ink for 15 years (Chicago), I don't see the Black Rock Desert as "fear-provoking", but an extension of natural beauty that is as raw as love. BRC is truly fit for a wedding, as well as a tatt.
Congratulations,
lava

ps: A tatt sign on a building does not guarantee cleanliness, sterility, safety, or artistry. I promise clown, I won't make you roll your love tatt in BRC dirt!! Even if I did, I can't think of anything that would stop bleeding faster. A clean, dressed tatt done in my kingdom will carry the same risk that any tatt carries. At least I can guarantee cleanliness and sterility.
Freedom Fighter
lava

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:07 pm

Wow Lava, where were you a year ago on eplaya? :lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

faaantastic :)

Postby Clownsuit » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:01 pm

I really appreciate this. I'll get you the design ASAP. I'll be camping in a trailer, anyway...so it'll be easier to keep it clean. I'll gift you some goodies in appreciation, and of course, I'd love to have you come to the wedding and enjoy the complimentary intoxicants.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Clownsuit

No problem- anything for love!!!

Postby lava » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:08 am

I would love to attend your wedding, as well as enjoy the complimentary intoxicants. I have no problem doing this work at your trailer. I will have a trailer and RV onsite also. I'm from the Eastside (BRC).
Be in touch,
Lava
Freedom Fighter
lava

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:07 am

There reall are a l ot of good places here in Reno to get inked...Your best bet would be to go to Bodygraphics or Aces. Both are on Wells ave and easily accessed off I - 80.

I was talking to my wife about getting a tattoo on the playa, but we both agreed that it's probably not a great idea. You have to bring out your A+D Ointment and spend time caring for it and being ginger with it and that's not always your priority when your senses are soooooo maxed out. It's easy to forget about that itchy spot on your neck when someone says "Hey, let's go climb that firebreathing penis and jump off onto the trampolines!"

Not good for your tattoo...

Rob does great work at Aces, by the way.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:10 am

There reall are a l ot of good places here in Reno to get inked...Your best bet would be to go to Bodygraphics or Aces. Both are on Wells ave and easily accessed off I - 80.

I was talking to my wife about getting a tattoo on the playa, but we both agreed that it's probably not a great idea. You have to bring out your A+D Ointment and spend time caring for it and being ginger with it and that's not always your priority when your senses are soooooo maxed out. It's easy to forget about that itchy spot on your neck when someone says "Hey, let's go climb that firebreathing penis and jump off onto the trampolines!"

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:10 am

Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:12 am

hmm...sorry about that triple post there.
Fat SAM

Return to 2004 Share