Massage Table

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.

Massage Table

Postby angrykittie25 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:39 am

I am looking for a massage table for on and off the playa. One in decent condition so that it will still function and fairly cheap as I do not have an abundance of funds. I have looked all over the internet and have yet to find one I can afford. Thanks for your help. :D
angrykittie25

Postby Martiansky » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:28 am

Try doing a search on the web for "build your own massage table" and see what you find there.

Hope that helps!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

checked out sam's club?

Postby iatpuppy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:49 am

they've got cheap massageTables there, i think...

sam's is a bulk warehouse store like costco or others...

and they've got a really nice return policy... : )

and i, too am looking for a cheap on-playa table...

if you find something, lemme know... : )

-iat
iatpuppy

Postby Silver » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:29 pm

I have no idea what would be considered cheap or expensive for a massage table but Sportsman's Guide has them for 139.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=132145
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.
Silver

Postby Papa Bear » Fri May 28, 2004 1:45 pm

Stumbling in a little late (just saw the thread)...

The Sportsman's Guide table is only 24" wide, which is awfully narrow. Your standard "professional" massage table will usually run somewhere between 27" and 34" wide, and I'd say 29-31" is the norm. The width you choose would depend on your body type (get a narrower table if you're short, so you don't have to reach as much) and the anticipated size of those you'll be working on. I'm 6'2", and as a client my arms tend to drift off the sides of even a 31" wide table. I'd be really uncomfortable on a 24" wide table.

It's hard to recommend a source for cheap tables without knowing what your intended usage will be (and what you consider "cheap"). The ultra-cheap costco tables are probably fine if you don't travel with them much and are just going for the occasional amateur massage on family and friends. I wouldn't recommend using them in any kind of professional practice, or even carting them around a lot -- just don't think they'd hold up.

You're probably fine with any of the low-end "student" model from places like Earthlite, Stronglite, Golden Ratio, etc. I'd expect those to run you in the area of $400 and up, though you might find a deal somewhere.

Buying used is also an option, just be sure you can check out the table in person first to make sure it's in good condition. One possible source is local massage schools or even spas (students often wind up changing or upgrading their tables after they've been in practice a while, or after they learn a new modality).

Another possible money-saving tip: one big differentiator among massage tables is how thick the foam is. If you're just doing basic swedish work, you can buy a table with thinner foam, then go somewhere and buy an appropriately-size piece of open cell foam to put on top of it (which then gets covered by the bottom sheet). A side benefit of this is that the table itself is lighter and smaller, and so easier to transport.
Papa Bear
Papa Bear

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash, HeeBeeGeeBee Healers

Postby _tears_ » Fri May 28, 2004 8:01 pm

check ebay

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Return to 2004 Share