Wanted: Gifted burning man ticket rights of passage

Wanted: Gifted burning man ticket rights of passage

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I got crap answers of hate mail for the last posting, so I'll come in at this at a different angle so everyone understands what happened and why I am posting this.

I worked at a summer sports camp for kids for my second year running, putting in 400 hours all summer so I can pay for my Burning Man ticket. I got payed last year, I was told I was getting payed this year, so I had no reason to doubt that I wasn't going to get payed this year. But I didn't. I have a ride there, I have food, shelter, water, supplies, and everything else I need for this year, but the ticket. I'm not demanding someone pay for me, I'm no requiring people to pay for me, I don't even expect to even get to go by the results I've been getting lately, but it doesn't hurt to try. There might be that one kind person who has been in my situation and understands what I'm going though. But I won't know unless I try. I've been waiting for Burning Man all year long, and it would be a nice way to relax and enjoy the rest of my summer.

If you're going to tell me that I'm stupid, or that what I'm doing is pissing you off, please, don't waste your time. I will no longer reply to those messages. Burning Man is supposed to be about being a family and being in a place where everyone belongs and feels safe to be themselves, not to put down others because of their misfortunes.

Once again, I'm not demanding that anyone pay for me, I'm not even requiring, I'm just seeing if there is anyone kind enough to help me out. If not, then I will see everyone on the playa next year.
Last edited by Demetry Demont 2008 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demetry Demont 2008

Re: Needed: Gifted burning man ticket rights of passage

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 pm

yer doin it wrong.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:13 pm

What am I doing wrong?
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby hyperspacetraveler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:19 pm

im having this problems to with members, i dont know man i guess were doing it wrong by spamming THEIR forums even though they are OUR threads, i think they need som decompression already from the 150000 plus people all wanting tickets<3
hyperspacetraveler

Postby Whateverwhenever » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 pm

WOW!!!!!! drinking legally, now that is a Rite of Passage
Whateverwhenever

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Whateverwhenever wrote:WOW!!!!!! drinking legally, now that is a Rite of Passage

Yeah it is, thats why I really want to go. This year's theme is made for me. Do you know of anyone gifting a ticket? I work all summer long as a volunteer sports coach for needy kids and Burning Man would be the best thank you for serving the community and keeping kids off the streets and away from childhood obesity.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Whateverwhenever wrote:WOW!!!!!! drinking legally, now that is a Rite of Passage

Yeah it is, thats why I really want to go. This year's theme is made for me. Do you know of anyone gifting a ticket? I work all summer long as a volunteer sports coach for needy kids and Burning Man would be the best thank you for serving the community and keeping kids off the streets and away from childhood obesity.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:What am I doing wrong?

looking for a gift ticket 10 days before the gate opens....

many people are already onsite bustin butts.. or on their way after months of planning and hard work.. some people purchased tickets for burning man 2011 in November 2010. ..nov 2010!!

really yo! this late in the game... some people see reason to be annoyed at those who still dont have a ticket but want to pay $600+ for one... and youre asking for a GIFT ticket? ...

yer doin it wrong.

(good luck)
lemur

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 pm

lemur wrote:
Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:What am I doing wrong?

looking for a gift ticket 10 days before the gate opens....

many people are already onsite bustin butts.. or on their way after months of planning and hard work.. some people purchased tickets for burning man 2011 in November 2010. ..nov 2010!!

really yo! this late in the game... some people see reason to be annoyed at those who still dont have a ticket but want to pay $600+ for one... and youre asking for a GIFT ticket? ...

yer doin it wrong.

(good luck)

I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed. Thats why I'm hopping that someone has the heart to help a fellow burner go home for a week after a long 400 hours only to not get payed.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 pm

hyperspacetraveler wrote:im having this problems to with members, i dont know man i guess were doing it wrong by spamming THEIR forums even though they are OUR threads, i think they need som decompression already from the 150000 plus people all wanting tickets<3

It kind of goes with the territory. Burning Man is many crazy wonderful things, including a fair amount of snarkiness. If you'd like some perspective, go back 16 pages on the 2011 tickets board and start reading all the threads since July 24th, as well as the announcements.

I'll elaborate on the "you're doing it wrong" bit for Demetry, though. During this time of year (not just in 2011, but in any year), sellers aren't reading the ticket seeker threads. Your best bet is to read the announcements at the top of the boards, and concentrate on replying to the threads offering tickets. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:So I'm a volunteer kids sports camp coach..

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:all summer long as a volunteer sports coach for needy kids

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed.....400 hours only to not get payed.

volunteer positions usually dont pay well
lemur

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:
hyperspacetraveler wrote:im having this problems to with members, i dont know man i guess were doing it wrong by spamming THEIR forums even though they are OUR threads, i think they need som decompression already from the 150000 plus people all wanting tickets<3

It kind of goes with the territory. Burning Man is many crazy wonderful things, including a fair amount of snarkiness. If you'd like some perspective, go back 16 pages on the 2011 tickets board and start reading all the threads since July 24th, as well as the announcements.

I'll elaborate on the "you're doing it wrong" bit for Demetry, though. During this time of year (not just in 2011, but in any year), sellers aren't reading the ticket seeker threads. Your best bet is to read the announcements at the top of the boards, and concentrate on replying to the threads offering tickets. Good luck!

I already have, but all of them are either selling them or they have some sort of compensation that I can't meet. I was supposed to get payed at the end of the summer for my 400 hours of volunteering at a summer sports camp for low income families, but I never got payed. I got payed last year, I was told I was getting payed this year, so I had no reason to believe that I wouldn't get payed, but I didn't, thats why I'm looking for a gifted ticket and not looking to buy one. I have $2 to my name as we speak.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 pm

lemur wrote:
Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:So I'm a volunteer kids sports camp coach..

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:all summer long as a volunteer sports coach for needy kids

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote:I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed.....400 hours only to not get payed.

volunteer positions usually dont pay well

Well I know, but I was supposed to be payed enough to buy a ticket and never got payed.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby The CO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 pm

lemur wrote:yer doin it wrong.

And to illustrate:

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote: I have $2 to my name as we speak.

Then you have bigger concerns in your life, and going to Burning Man should not even be on the list.

Done & done.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Next year you can have your own private rite of passage by buying your own ticket.

I've done it gift ticket, and I've bought my own, and the second is a much better experience.

Besides, there's something a little gross about expecting that someone else is just going to pay your way, year after year.
And it's gross that they didn't pay you, but now you know to get it in writing, and being cheated by someone else, does not mean that this community has any obligation to pay your way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Next year you can have your own private rite of passage by buying your own ticket.

I've done it gift ticket, and I've bought my own, and the second is a much better experience.

Besides, there's something a little gross about expecting that someone else is just going to pay your way, year after year.
And it's gross that they didn't pay you, but now you know to get it in writing, and being cheated by someone else, does not mean that this community has any obligation to pay your way.

I'm not really expecting anyone to buy me a ticket. I was just asking if someone had an extra ticket that they bought for someone else that dropped, or bailed, or for whatever reason they have an extra ticket and have the heart to help someone who has helped so many. I don't expect anyone to do anything for me, thats wrong of me to do.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 am

Save your money for next year, you will feel a better reward for your work.... asking for something never GETS! - Expecting something because you did something somewhere else never GETS!...

To put it into perspective, I am going to my first burn this year, I started planning in October 2010, I bought a ticket in good time, booked and itinerised the whole trip and it has cost me £1600 ($2560 US) with flights, rv hire, spending money, gifts, costumes, food, camp fees...

Minus the £600 for flights if you live in the USA and replace that with a $2-300 flight or a huge petrol bill if you are driving

AND I'm being thrifty as we are very kindly being hosted by a kind camp member in LA beforehand!

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby swampdog » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 am

ok, here are the triggers that I think set people off. They certainly triggered me, but I was just going to ignore you. I mean this as constructive feedback.

"Needed" - that sets the bar pretty high. You "need" a ticket? No, you want a ticket. If you need a ticket, you'd better have a damned good reason more than "I really want to go". Not saying it's rational, but that right there sets my teeth on edge.

"Needed: Gifted", makes it worse. It sounds not only like your begging for help, but demanding help. My first response, just on those two words, is a hearty "go fuck yourself". You've then got to make up for that in your note, you're already 2 strikes down.

Then the icing on the cake is "I want to celebrate the transition of being old enough to drink" Third strike. Why? Because of all the important life transitions being honored on the playa, "being old enough to drink" is trivial, almost insultingly trivial. People are going to be thinking about Birth and Death, Being and Becoming, Gratitude and Abundance, Maturity and Loss. I certainly intend to. Compared to which "woooohoooo, I can party legally" is just.... lame.

I'm sure you do good charitable work and are a good person. But you struck yourself out with your approach. There are a lot of people bringing their best begging to all forums, including this one. Many people here don't respond well to begging at all. But if you're going to beg, girl, you're going to have to step up your game.

ETA:
I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed. Thats why I'm hopping that someone has the heart to help a fellow burner go home for a week after a long 400 hours only to not get payed.

You might have had better luck if you'd led with this. You still probably wouldn't get a ticket, but you'd probably have had a gentler reception.

ETA: It's also a little icky that you say
I'm a cute 21 year old girl that really wants to spend her 21st drinking with all the amazing burners that are her family.

Are you offering sex in exchange for a ticket? Fine, if that's what you want to do. But a little icky. If not, of what possible interest is it to someone that you're a cute 21 year old girl? Eye candy is free on the playa and there's plenty of it. If you're not offering sex, then you sound like one of those girls who's used to getting her way just by being cute. Annoying at best.
Last edited by swampdog on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby jobi » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

Demetry Demont 2008 wrote: a long 400 hours only to not get payed.

There's your rite of passage.

If you want to celebrate your 21st but don't have money, I would suggest Reno. All you need to do is hang out near a slot machine and they will gift you free drinks, all night!
jobi

Postby haolegolucky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:15 pm

(good luck)[/quote]
I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed. Thats why I'm hopping that someone has the heart to help a fellow burner go home for a week after a long 400 hours only to not get payed.[/quote]

Why on earth would you work for ANYONE for TEN WEEKS without getting paid?

Seriously?
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Demetry Demont 2008 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:30 pm

haolegolucky wrote:(good luck)

I was bustin my but all summer to buy my ticket and never got payed. Thats why I'm hopping that someone has the heart to help a fellow burner go home for a week after a long 400 hours only to not get payed.[/quote]

Why on earth would you work for ANYONE for TEN WEEKS without getting paid?

Seriously?[/quote]
I was going to get payed but he never payed me.
Demetry Demont 2008

Postby Raymaker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Is Demtry also Gnemo viewtopic.php?f=190&t=45833 or do Americans spell paid 'payed'?
Raymaker

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Ah, this thread was ripe for ripping by the Snarkleponies! :lol:

If you only have $2 to your name you should not be thinking about Burning Man. The ticket is the least of your expenses. How much food can you bring for $2? How much water can you bring for $2? How much gas can you pitch in for $2? Frack, you want a free ride, and being a 'cute' 21 year old girl, someone may just give you that ride, but it isn't right and you are not going for the right reasons. I certainly do not need more eye candy, I would sell to someone that has worked their butt off to CONTRIBUTE to Black Rock City.

Secondly, someone payed your way LAST year! And you want another free ride this year? Seriously, you have issues that need resolving.

Damn it, I told myself I would not join in with my Snarklepony friends.....but this one was just lobbed up there, ready to smack out-of-the-park!

Good luck and please don't come this year. Save and work for next year, we will welcome you with open arms!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby NellieX » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:08 pm

This kind of crap REALLY pisses me off..

I'm a "cute 20 something" girl, I spent my summer volunteering for disabled artists, when I wasn't working at my shit job, made BARELY enough to pay my student loans, and am not going to the playa this year. Why? Because a. helping my husband keep us housed and fed is more important and b. I know there is going to be a next year, and waiting will give me plenty of time to save and plan. Planning is half the fun.

Get a job, continue to volunteer (but NEVER expect payment for volunteering), and buy your ticket in February. The people who are being gifted tickets either have dear friends who want them to come along, or have worked their asses off all year to allow this event to happen. No one is going to gift wrap a ticket for you, sorry to say.
NellieX

Re: Wanted: Gifted burning man ticket rights of passage

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 pm

You're 21. I went to my first Burn at 62. You've got time. When we're children we require instant gratification. As one grows, the immediacy of life lessens. You're still growing. You've got time.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Re: Wanted: Gifted burning man ticket rights of passage

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 pm

i think I love you DragonPilot...

Come find me at 3 and Esplanade for a beer or two for sending me that RV guide!

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Return to 2011 Tickets