Tickets from Hawaii?

Tickets from Hawaii?

Postby Grey Cat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about fake tickets going around in Hawaii?

I've come across 2 different people, seemingly unrelated , having tickets for sale but the info seems somewhat vague.

Though skeptical, I was considering buying one but don't want to make a dumb move and send $300+ and get no reply..

Thoughts, anyone??
Grey Cat

Re: Tickets from Hawaii?

Postby Ace of Kittens » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:03 pm

There is definitely a scammer operating out of Hawaii. The message this person sends is something like this:

Hi, I've received about 50 emails for the Burning Man tix, but I really like your story. You seem like you will appreciate me selling them at face value. I just hope you do the same good for others if you're ever given the opportunity. I'm in Hawaii now for work and that's the primary reason I'm selling them. How can you pay for the tix.? Let me know and we can work something out.

You should definitely review the "Known Scams" page: http://blog.burningman.com/2011/08/news/known-ticket-scams/. Good luck!
Ace of Kittens

Postby waywardvirtuoso » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 pm

I was wondering the same thing. There was a guy I was dealing with earlier today that had two tickets in HI. He was cool with PayPal but was already talking to another buyer... no time to wait two days for confirmation for tickets. Since it was for two tickets, I backed off because I can't afford to blow $800 on a scam. But really, the only thing that made me think "scam" was that I've seen lots of warnings going 'round of some dude in HI.

*sign*
if we look too close at the path, we can not see the sky.
waywardvirtuoso

Postby Grey Cat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Sounds Fishy.... A few weeks ago here in Sacramento I met some dude scalping tix out front of the 'A Perfect Circle show' and he said something about having burningman tix too. I inquired and he said he was heading back to Hawaii in a week or so and needed to get them to someone, he quoted me something like $210 or something.I introduced myself and he said he went by the name "Squid".

I asked him if he had a receipt for them and if he could provide it upon purchase and he said he could. I took his number telling him I'd call him the next day which I did (although my intuition told me something was weird about his energy) and there was never an answer at the number he gave me. I made about 5 attempts to call over several days...

fast forward a couple weeks...I posted a Craigslist add about needing a ticket the other day and got a reply from someone in Hawaii saying they had an extra ticket " and couldn't go because of work" but with little information. I believe they were also asking something like $200 + something.

I had a weird feeling about that one too.

BURNING MAN TICKET BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!!! BE VERY SKEPTICAL OF ANYONE SELLING TICKETS FROM HAWAII, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE INFO SEEMS VAGUE.

btw I am still looking for a ticket if anyone knows of a legit one
Thanks!
Grey Cat

Postby Supakitten » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 pm

HA....

I dealt with this guy. like why can't he sell them in Hawaii? seen plenty of peeps wanting tickets there too.

my favorite part was that he requested that stupid story but i wasn't in the mood in the slightest. I basically said I have no sob story to give you, i'm just stupid for not buying earlier. he replied back about how much he 'loved my story'. then went on about paying via money gram...still insisted that he was for real and I told him that his crap was all over the burning man ticket forum page and to give it up already.

apparently he haven't given it up yet
Supakitten

Return to 2011 Tickets