eBay tix keep dropping in price - pls keep NOT bidding

eBay tix keep dropping in price - pls keep NOT bidding

Postby andy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm

As I and many others have predicted, aftermarket tickets are dropping in price, down to about $550-$600. If you don't patronize people trying to scalp tickets, they will (1) have to sell them at face or below as the festival approaches and (2) won't try to hoard tickets in future years.
andy

Re: eBay tix keep dropping in price - pls keep NOT bidding

Postby Mansoon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Fing HARd to not bid. Trying to make my peace with not being on the playa this year, trying other avenues or to buy only from "real" burners, but so far no joy. Now, the scalpers lucked into something here; on any normal year, you'd be a moron to try to scalp for much, because people could just buy from BM. Few believed the sellout would come. If they set the limits high enough (even with 50K people, i've walked miles and never even SEEN the fence around it, so i KNOW there's room), the scalpers will be screwed next year, and things will go back to normal
Mansoon

Postby kelizabeth » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Yea, its REALLY hard not to bid now that tickets have dropped to 500-550 each (saw 1050 for a pair today). I've placed lower bids on some, and watched myself get outbid in the last hour of the auction. To think they were listed at 1,000 to 2,000 per ticket when the madness started. I think I can hold off about 3 more days, and then its decision time. I either shell out $500 per ticket, or I don't go and give up looking entirely. There's too many things that need doing in the last week that I can't be worrying as to whether I've got a ticket. Like, for example, I need to tell my camp if I'm going for sure or not and pay them my dues.

It seems craigslist is mostly scammers at this point, making it a complete waste of time. Or people wanting to trade for cars/macbooks/motorcycles. Which is absurd.

So yea, I'm on the brink of selling out, or not going altogether.
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman
kelizabeth

Postby lbasche » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Yesterday auctions were going for no more then $550, and I saw several going for closer to 500. In addition, I've found more local (los angeles) tickets popping up that seemed legit. By legit, I mean they weren't hesitant to give me numbers, and they were willing to meet in person. There's also a lot of Craigslist posts coming from people saying that they're selling tickets that they purchased for around 800 each right after the sell out and now they can't go. There's going to be A LOT of people just like this, who will be quickly realizing this week that they CAN'T go for some reason or another. Hold out a couple more days and I'm sure everyone's diligence will be rewarded.
lbasche

Postby lbasche » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I've been sending offers for face value to all of the over priced tickets on craigslist, and then continue to flag them. The overpriced tickets, whether scalpers or just ignorant newbies who got scared at the sell out and paid way too much just trying to make their money back, will be forced to sell at under eBay prices in order to ensure they make at least something back before the tickets are worthless. =]
lbasche

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Please be careful - flagging listings CL, eBay, etc may be against that site's terms of service, and repeated flagging may even constitute harassment. The state of Nevada does not prohibit charging more than face value on tickets to any event held in the state - while jerks, scalpers are not breaking the law.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 am

kelizabeth wrote: I've placed lower bids on some, and watched myself get outbid in the last hour of the auction.

Other than locking something into the auction, why would you place a bid before the last 22 seconds?
gyre

Postby BBadger » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Yeah, I'm curious why you eBay n00bs even place bids at any time before the 10 seconds before the auction closes. You don't want to get into a bidding war, and it reduces the amount of time the seller's shills can jack up the price. You just put in your max bid and you're done. That's it. No fighting with yourself thinking you can raise the limit you imposed on yourself, no watching people outbid you. If you win, you win. If you lose, you move onto some other auction. But you have saved yourself the stress of bidding, and you have prevented a bidding war.

You can even use those auction sniping services which will do it in the last half-second of the auction closing. The best part about those is that they probably can bid on multiple simultaneous auctions and it can terminate the other ones if you win one of them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 pm

BBadger wrote:The best part about those is that they probably can bid on multiple simultaneous auctions and it can terminate the other ones if you win one of them.

They can. I haven't used the eBay much since it got waaay to popular & people started jacking up their prices like they were on Antiques Roadshow, but the snipe tool I used could have 3 or 4 auctions linked together for this. That was in '08, I'm sure they're vastly better now.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Eric wrote:
BBadger wrote:The best part about those is that they probably can bid on multiple simultaneous auctions and it can terminate the other ones if you win one of them.

They can. I haven't used the eBay much since it got waaay to popular & people started jacking up their prices like they were on Antiques Roadshow, but the snipe tool I used could have 3 or 4 auctions linked together for this. That was in '08, I'm sure they're vastly better now.

This. I would post the link to the free snipe site that does this, but if you can't search and find and figure it out on your own, then.. well.. keep bidding days in advance for those tickets and losing :)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to 2011 Tickets