just showing up...

just showing up...

Postby shimgotit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm

what do you think the chances are, i drive from miami without a ticket and find scalpers by the gate of black rock city to buy 2 tickets? i gave up trying to find tickets on eplaya, or craigslist....
shimgotit

Re: just showing up...

Postby c_cretangel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Good luck! I'm about ready to do the same thing!!! :)
c_cretangel

Postby gaminwench » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

verrry slim...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Just wait it out. Tickets are closing for around $550 on Ebay, and going down daily. Give it another week and then pull the trigger..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby jella » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:56 pm

I can just see it now :(
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

I don't think scalpers will come there, it's the middle of nowhere.

They won't be in Gerlach or empire and I can't see how they could work the gate road. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Mansoon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Some dude on this board was saying that just anyone in Reno area who knows any Piute natives might be able to get their ticket (they get low-cost ones, I think). I'd lay the groundwork first, though. If you try to sneak in, I don't like your chances for not ending up dead or arrested.
Mansoon

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Mansoon wrote:If you try to sneak in, I don't like your chances for not ending up dead or arrested.

If you show up in a vehicle and you're the only one without a ticket- the entire vehicle & everyone in it get turned around and the ticketless person has to be taken back to Reno before the rest can turn around & come back. 4-8 hours minimum. Period, and now your friends are pissed at you.

If you try to stowaway and you're found, everyone in the vehicle has their tickets confiscated and every single one of them misses the Burn. Period, and now your friends hate you.

If you are loitering in Empire or Gerlach, the police are watching for that. At best you'll be told to leave, at worst (depending on your attitude) you may end up in Lovelock for the night. Period, and now you're pissed at yourself.

Do not go if you don't have a ticket. Pretty damn simple.

Do what JS suggests above- ticket prices are falling, and they'll come down more. Next week is probably prime time to buy as there will most likely be a little surge in prices the week before the event. If you weren't planning on going until mid-week anyway, anyone with tickets in hand will want to sell them as quickly as possible so you'll probably see a really good price drop.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Playa Hater » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Bad idea and a lot of effort for what most likely will turn out bad for you.
Playa Hater

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Gravybrain » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:55 pm

This is a horrible idea....
Bringing back mutant vehicle Beau Le' Phant the pink elephant for Burning Man 2012!
http://beaulephant.weebly.com
Gravybrain

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Do not show up at the gate without tickets. Please see the post on the subject on the Burning Blog. Also, some additional information that was posted in the Jack Rabbit Speaks (a weekly email newsletter that, had you signed up and read it, you would have had several months' notice about the ticket situation).

Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU SHOW UP AT THE GATE WITH NO TICKET?

Since Burning Man tickets have sold out for the first time in our 25-year history, it's more important than ever that our community knows and understands Burning Man's Gate policy. Here's what you need to know:

• There are no tickets for sale at the Gate. You will be turned away and not allowed entry if you show up without a ticket.
  • If you are giving someone a ride to Burning Man, including ride shares and hitchhikers, please be sure they have a ticket or you may end up driving back to Reno to drop them off. Leaving them at the Gate or in Gerlach is not an option. Washoe County Sheriff will be watching out for people loitering in or around Gerlach.
  • Harboring stowaways or assisting people sneaking in is as bad as sneaking in yourself. Any vehicle with stowaways or assisting people sneaking in will have the whole vehicle refused entry with no refund of tickets.
  • Anyone caught trying to sneak in to the event or causing a disruption at the Gate or Box Office is subject to citation, fine, and arrest by the BLM.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2011 Tickets