Ticket Sales- Does this make me a bad person?

Re: Ticket Sales- Does this make me a bad person?

Postby MrsgriffinBRCPOII » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:48 pm

dude, dont take the taint- its like droping the flag- it corrupts the heart and soul of the event- keep it real -we are all hurtin financially- I personally have three kids and live check to check in a rual area- I can never afford to buy my tickets till July sometimes August. I havent been online so as far as the tude that the jrs is soaked in about being prepared..well shit EXCUSE fuckin me..I dont have my ticket yet and never began to imagine that i couldnt get a ticket- im not online via my local and my budget, except once a month. im on ssi- Im on ebt- Im a 12 year Burner and Im feelin a physical anxt - a panic - like a bird unable to migrate for the only thing I have to keep me inspired-and strong and right thru the whole horrible year . Im recovering from illegal forclosure- my daughter was obsconded with-legal bills...I have been visible and quoted as saying there is NO REASON to NOT attend BM. That even if my legs were ripped off, I would crawl on ripping fingernail claws dragging my bloody asfault crusted stumps across an ocean of rock salt-gravel and razor blades -up the 80 corridor north over the Siera Nevada Mountain tops - and inch my way up the dangers of the hungry 447 thru the desert to attend Burningman. Im doing my best to find that illusive ticket, would I pay that price? would I if in the same shoes Take that lovely pile of filthy lucre?
All i can say is - Im glad others are doing the right thing..theres always more money out there...just find it.
Dont turn Burningman into a Van halen Concert.... sell it IF YOU MUST to the right person you feel the best about-
Ive gifted tickets before..in the days when i had a little extra luck... try it! gift economy is the best feeling EVER!!
Good luck with what your faced with, sorry about your craigslist issues- and perhaps if we both make it to the Burn you and I get the chance to up date our tales together over bloodymarys and bacon at the BRCPO 9 plaza...
i beleive ....
keep Burningman Pure...
MrsgriffinBRCPOII

Postby S-s-sara » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 pm

MrsgriffinBRCPOII wrote:dude, dont take the taint- its like droping the flag- it corrupts the heart and soul of the event- keep it real -we are all hurtin financially- I personally have three kids and live check to check in a rual area- I can never afford to buy my tickets till July sometimes August. I havent been online so as far as the tude that the jrs is soaked in about being prepared..well shit EXCUSE fuckin me..I dont have my ticket yet and never began to imagine that i couldnt get a ticket- im not online via my local and my budget, except once a month. im on ssi- Im on ebt- Im a 12 year Burner and Im feelin a physical anxt - a panic - like a bird unable to migrate for the only thing I have to keep me inspired-and strong and right thru the whole horrible year . Im recovering from illegal forclosure- my daughter was obsconded with-legal bills...I have been visible and quoted as saying there is NO REASON to NOT attend BM. That even if my legs were ripped off, I would crawl on ripping fingernail claws dragging my bloody asfault crusted stumps across an ocean of rock salt-gravel and razor blades -up the 80 corridor north over the Siera Nevada Mountain tops - and inch my way up the dangers of the hungry 447 thru the desert to attend Burningman. Im doing my best to find that illusive ticket, would I pay that price? would I if in the same shoes Take that lovely pile of filthy lucre?
All i can say is - Im glad others are doing the right thing..theres always more money out there...just find it.
Dont turn Burningman into a Van halen Concert.... sell it IF YOU MUST to the right person you feel the best about-
Ive gifted tickets before..in the days when i had a little extra luck... try it! gift economy is the best feeling EVER!!
Good luck with what your faced with, sorry about your craigslist issues- and perhaps if we both make it to the Burn you and I get the chance to up date our tales together over bloodymarys and bacon at the BRCPO 9 plaza...
i beleive ....
keep Burningman Pure...

I didn't sell it. The question was more about thoughts than about actions, and more about what if's than about reality. I very much intend on going. :)
S-s-sara

Postby Mansoon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 pm

You should go, if you can. Don't ride your bike. The water requirements alone for that desert hellscape are NOT small and no joke (the playa's only there because the dryness killed a sea) and that 2-lane road there would be a nightmare with 10,000-20,000 extra cars going back and forth. Plus, you might be as tired as you've even been coming out, and then ride 19 days back out from a high-altitude desert, dirty and with all your equipment for the hot and the cold nights past 10K-20k also-exhausted drivers?

Seems like if you're anywhere near a big city … search here, Facebook, Craigslist, maybe you can find a rideshare. With so many people light on campmates and missing ones, I can't imagine NONE will take you. Hell, if my situation was set, i'd make sure my camp would, just for the pleasure of helping a virgin Burner, something I've been able to do the past 2 years, as was done for me. But I think there may even be camps for people without other camps. just a little further out from the center of things. I've done 3-4 days without campmates — waiting for them to show — with no camping skills, no cooking equipment, no shower, but I DID have 2 big bags and a backpack worth of stuff, too much to bike in.
Mansoon

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 pm

S-s-sara,

There is a rideshare board:
http://rideshare.burningman.com

. . . through which you might be able to grab a ride with women passengers. There is also a rideshare desk at the Reno aiport, first floor, near the baggage carousel, open the Friday before the event through the Friday of Burn weekend. They're hardworking volunteers who could match you with comfortable people. This is a little fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants for a lot of people, and I've never tried it myself, but it's an option.

Rideshares are not usually campmates, as you may know, so check the 2011 Theme Camps--a few camps are still accepting people. Writing a letter of introduction to those you like and offering your compatible skills is the best way. There are also camps like Orphan III (filling up fast, look them up on Facebook) which are more village than theme camp. No fee, no work beyond cleaning up after yourself, and you share what you can, but mostly look out for yourself.

(Biking to the burn is indeed pretty dangerous on those no-shoulder roads, as you have probably deduced.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 am

theCryptofishist wrote:An echo on "the eplaya is not the playa."
We are stressed here, after more than two weeks of really ugly shit. (Read a dozen threads on this sub-forum, and maybe you'll see what I mean.) This ticket selling out business isn't bringing out the best in us.
You were unlucky enough to make your first post in the currently most contentious area. We are drawing a lot of lines and making a lot of judgments. And taking a lot of flak when we try and be helpful. (We tend to the hit you on the side of the head when you're about to do something really stupid, not pet you and tell you what a precious, beautiful snowflake you are.)
I think humans are natural opportunists, I think that's how we conquered the globe. I think it's very human to have that temptation, or at least the awareness of the possibility when we have something valuable.
So, get to Reno, find a rideshare, and learn what it's about, and for heaven's sake don't try and fix this conversation--it's toast. If you come back in love with the event and get in this thread and say "ohmygod, igetit. I'm so glad I attended rather than selling the ticket" you will probably be greeted with open arms by most of the people here.
We feel threatened by people selling tickets for huge amounts of money. We think that we will not be able to go, that our friends will not be able to go, that burningman will become less special if tickets become big time commodities. And we're a contentious people who will fight for what we love. And we love the event.

+1
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 am

Sic Pup wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:An echo on "the eplaya is not the playa."
We are stressed here, after more than two weeks of really ugly shit. (Read a dozen threads on this sub-forum, and maybe you'll see what I mean.) This ticket selling out business isn't bringing out the best in us.
You were unlucky enough to make your first post in the currently most contentious area. We are drawing a lot of lines and making a lot of judgments. And taking a lot of flak when we try and be helpful. (We tend to the hit you on the side of the head when you're about to do something really stupid, not pet you and tell you what a precious, beautiful snowflake you are.)
I think humans are natural opportunists, I think that's how we conquered the globe. I think it's very human to have that temptation, or at least the awareness of the possibility when we have something valuable.
So, get to Reno, find a rideshare, and learn what it's about, and for heaven's sake don't try and fix this conversation--it's toast. If you come back in love with the event and get in this thread and say "ohmygod, igetit. I'm so glad I attended rather than selling the ticket" you will probably be greeted with open arms by most of the people here.
We feel threatened by people selling tickets for huge amounts of money. We think that we will not be able to go, that our friends will not be able to go, that burningman will become less special if tickets become big time commodities. And we're a contentious people who will fight for what we love. And we love the event.

+1

+a gazillion times infinity. Muah, Fishy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:22 am

Yes, this conversation is pointless - go and have a good time at the event and stop posting about your self justification for NOT even doing something

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:29 am

Bottom line, if you are going to sell it, sell it. Prices are only going to go down on ebay until just before the burn, when desperate burners and desperate sellers come together. Take the extra cash and plan something nice as a gift for next year. I might catch flack for this, but I think the people paying more than face value are the ones with problems, not the sellers. Burning Man is clearly not a huge scalping event. It just isn't. So some starving artists made a few bucks on tickets this year. Think about it as wealth distribution from those who can pay to those who can't afford to come.

I sure wouldn't trade my burn for $150, but if I couldn't go, that extra money would make a nice gift/outfit/donation to something on the playa next year. Heck you could bring a case of Jack Daniels and make a lot of people happy. Sellers are getting a lot of misplaced flak. It takes two to tango here people. What makes it worse is that the people giving that flak are the ones who are pissed off for not being responsible in the first place. They aren't mad at you (well some might be) or that Burning Man sold out, most are just mad because they don't have a ticket and you are a convenient outlet.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:07 am

MrsgriffinBRCPOII wrote:That even if my legs were ripped off, I would crawl on ripping fingernail claws dragging my bloody asfault crusted stumps across an ocean of rock salt-gravel and razor blades.

No comment.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
MrsgriffinBRCPOII wrote:That even if my legs were ripped off, I would crawl on ripping fingernail claws dragging my bloody asfault crusted stumps across an ocean of rock salt-gravel and razor blades.

No comment.

Ah, c'mon. All the cool kids are doing it.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

No comment.

:shock:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Neverloved » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 am

To me this is all ludicrous propaganda to the nth degree. Freaking a, unless its illegal to scalp, which I don't get, because there are always ticket outlets, unless it's state to state, then sell your freaking ticket for a million if you could, burning man got theirs already and if nobody wants you at a camp and nobody's offering you a ride and badger is making fun of you then sell it to the highest bidder! Live the American dream! If anybody is so desperate to go for any amount of money, then you are satisfying their desire, also. A lot of illegal activity goes on at burning man, and they make millions. Propaganda as it being a gifting culture is no guidepost when you are in the limits of the law. They sell tickets at a higher value as time goes on and so can you. I can't figure out if weed is illegal in most states, I believe it is even though it is treated as it isn't. But the ecstasy you might find on the playa is not legal. Prostitution is supposed to be illegal, I wish it were, believe me, because newspapers always have ads for your double d neighborhood whore, and I used to be one. Awful and true.
Neverloved

Previous

Return to 2011 Tickets