Ticket warnings and scams....

Ticket warnings and scams....

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I guess it goes without saying, but there are all sorts of scumbags out there ready to scam people on the tickets. While the scalpers are gouging on prices, hopefully they will be delivering the tickets. If buying a ticket, be sure that there is some sort of guarantee that you won't be ripped off. Paying with PayPal is some sort of assurance, but still be very careful.
I could list all the cautions that come to my mind, but just be careful when giving your money away.
This was a posting today for a ticket on eBay--and it had one bid already. "This is a electronic Burning Man ticket which can be sent to you via email. I have got the relevant information and links you will need to verify for yourself that it is authentic".
TICKETS ARE NOT ELECTRONIC, THEY ARE HARD TICKETS AND CANNOT BE EMAILED!
Last edited by Sham on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sham

Re: Ticket warnings and scams....

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Did you report this to ebay and paypal?

There are other agencies too.
gyre

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Here is a posting from last year that I hope people find useful.
********************************************************************************************************
HOW TO BUY AND SELL A BURNING MAN TICKET

There are some folks who try to profit off of reselling tickets, fake or legit. This goes against the ethos of our community. Below are some tips to keep these transactions safe and ensure no hassles at the gate.

RESELLING AT A HIGHER PRICE JUST PLAIN SUCKS
If you want to sell your ticket we ask that you please do not sell it for more than you paid. If buying, do not buy a ticket for higher than the face value printed on it. As long as people are willing to get overcharged, there will always be unscrupulous folks out there peddling overpriced tickets.

There are many security features on the tickets including special shiny gold foil on one side, maroon foil on the back and raised embossing in a custom pattern. Buying in person means you can check the tickets for these features and make sure the numbers and price match what you've been told.

SCAM WARNINGS
We suggest you buy your ticket from a legitimate source: the Burning Man website tickets.burningman.com or one of the walk in ticket outlets (listed on the ticket page), and save yourself the hassle of at the very least feeling ripped off and at the most not being allowed into the event because you have a fake ticket. If you choose to purchase through a third party we highly suggest you meet in person for the tickets and not risk buying through the mail. The Eplaya is a good place to post buying or selling tickets.

Here are scams to look out for that have happened in the past:
1. Seller gives tickets numbers from another person's tickets and may even produce photos of the tickets, doesn't actually have the tickets though, then collects money via mail or Paypal and cuts off contact with buyer. Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash
2. Seller gives their ticket numbers out, collects money and mails an empty envelope or nothing at all. Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash
3. Seller claims tickets can be printed out at home using a special link they will give out. Collects money and sends bogus email, then cuts off contact. NOTE: BURNING MAN TICKETS CANNOT BE PRINTED AT HOME.
Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash

GET INFORMED
If you are buying a ticket and want to check to make sure it hasn't been reported lost, stolen or part of a scam - send us an email partiserv(at) burningman(dot)com BEFORE you buy it with ALL of the following:
1. The full name of the original ticket holder and the email address they used to purchase the ticket(s)
2. The 8 character ticket serial codes off the back of the ticket(s) as well as the 5 digit number. Without all of that information we cannot check for you.

We will let you know to the best of our ability that the tickets have not been reported lost or stolen or falsely used in any kind of scam. But in the end we cannot be responsible for a dishonest person who is running a scam. We just do what we can on our end.

If you are buying or selling a ticket, please let us know your mailing address so we can make sure to get you the current Survival Guide and other important information about Burning Man 2010. Our permits require us to send every ticket holder a Survival Guide and it contains unique important information each year. We absolutely do not sell or give your information to ANYONE. Send us an email to: partiserv (at) burningman.com with your street address and whose tickets you are purchasing.

Good luck buying and selling and a safe journey to the playa!

BM Ticket Minions
Last edited by Sham on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sham

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:15 am

Oh yeah, and if you're paying with Paypal, never NEVER NEVER send the money as a "gift." If the seller is requesting that the money to be marked as a "gift" to "avoid the transaction fee" you should refuse and/or cancel the deal. A gift designation gives you ZERO recourse against the seller and should be a ** RED FLAG **.

Likewise, if you're the seller, make sure you get online delivery confirmation. If it's not online, you have ZERO recourse against someone claiming it did not arrive.

The best method for selling/buying a ticket is to meet in person and exchange for cash. However, always bring a friend (both as seller and buyer) to make sure you're not just going to get knifed by whomever meets you at the door.

For reference, here is what the physical tickets look like. Note the reflective foil, and the embossed stamp in the middle):

ticket_2011_front_small.jpg
2011 Ticket, Front
ticket_2011_front_small.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

ticket_2011_back_small.jpg
2011 Ticket, Back
ticket_2011_back_small.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby sambojones » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:12 am

I can't find where it was posted but do y'all k ow what info is needed to verify a will call ticket?
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 am

The email address is at the bottom of Shambala's 2nd message.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:29 am

sambojones wrote:I can't find where it was posted but do y'all k ow what info is needed to verify a will call ticket?

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#elsepickup
gyre

Postby Shpilkus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:53 pm

This is a great thread. Everyone be careful of the sleazebags trying to rip people off! :roll:
needles, sewing pins | shpilkes (shpil'∙kes) | שפּילקעס
Shpilkus

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Recent Additions to the Ticket FAQ
http://tickets.burningman.com/#buysell

Excerpts:

WARNING: Fake tickets are already being sold in Los Angeles. Be careful people! These tickets are reported to have partial foil and a primitive embossing. Know exactly what a real ticket looks like before you buy!

[Now see Shambala's post above as to Scam Warnings]

More new stuff, I think:

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE

We’ve seen some pretty lame copies of tickets in the past, some are simply color photocopies and others are a little more involved, like trying to use glitter fingernail polish to mimic holographic foil. If you know what to look for, you should be able to save yourself the heartbreak and hassle of getting all the way up to the gate and being told you’ve been duped.

There are several security features on the tickets.

There is shiny holographic foil on *both* the front and back. On the front it is the lettering and and in a crisscoss silver pattern, on the back it is the upper and lower rectangle portions of the ticket and the hologram is little circles.

There is also a special raised embossing (stamp) in a custom pattern in the middle of the upper part of the ticket. You should be able to make out the man symbol and read “25th Anniversary” in the circular embossing VERY CLEARLY.

There should be two bar codes in the bottom section of the ticket (one above the stub and one below) with two sets of number/letter codes (that you should check with us before purchasing). The price of the ticket is also in a white rectangle on the top and bottom of the ticket.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Bump... :roll:
Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

With the ticket buying and selling frenzy in full schwing, I really hope that everyone reads the cautions of ticket transactions.

Don't be posting a sad story about how you got cheated--please read this thread!
Sham

Postby maryanimal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 pm

bump
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Sham » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm

If you're looking for a ticket, a great place to scan is the regional forums. All you have to do is sign up on there and you will start getting emails from LOCAL people who want to sell their tickets. A huge plus is you get to meet the person face to face and get your ticket in hand. You really should not pay above the face value of the ticket, plus the shipping charges.
http://regionals.burningman.com/
Sham

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Bump
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby benderberkeley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 am

I am a victim of a scam - VERY good copies, holographic images, embossed seal etc...I am working with law enforcement and putting together a case. If you have been scammed or have any information, specifically San Fran/Bay area, but I will take and add all, please send it to me/contact me. We are going to make sure this does not happen any more. Peace.
benderberkeley

Return to 2011 Tickets