Hesitant, but here it is

Hesitant, but here it is

Postby Gen ov eve » Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I've been sitting a few minutes before starting to type, whether I should post this or not, but my better side is giving me the go ahead...

Long story shorter ... (or not?)

I've been reading a LOT on this site, and on this forum, and have undergone intense preparation for my first burn. Much excitement, and anxiety alike as I will be away from my baby for this one. I've filled a journal with lists, ideas, plan A, B(...), getaway plan in case I cannot stand being away form my babe (highly likely), travel plans A, B(...), meal plans, proper gear for harsh weather, already tearing up clothing to make art for wear on the playa. I feel extremely confident. The theme, the warmth I feel from the kind welcome I've received thus far, I cannot wait to be immersed into this sea of love, freedom, and meaning through community, dance, and radical self-expression. How this experience is already shaping my life, is just what I needed at this chapter.

Why I hesitate to post this, I do not wish to be frowned upon for sending out a wish for help. I've got all the important things covered, and a kind, honest heart with intense need to get out, to get out right... to go home.

One important factor missing. I will not be able to purchase a ticket until June. Before you start to think that if I cannot afford to get one now, then how will I make it... Like I said, everything is covered, the ticket's got to wait until June. As a single mama, day to day financially is up and down. I received the newsletter today and read that tickets will be priced higher at some point and obviously I hope that it doesn't happen too soon. It's not a major deal breaker, no, but I've got an idea brewing in my head for a gift to the community and that is not guarenteed either. Not necessary, I know, but since I decided I am going to Burning Man, physical creativity has been pouring out of me as it did pre-motherhood.

I am not asking for a gift ticket. I am not asking to hold a potential lower-priced ticket for me. I am not asking of you anything, I've no expectations throughout this entire experience actually. Everything has been on a whim, except this. In being radically self-reliant, I know I should be able to afford a full priced ticket atop everything else, but, I am simply sending out a wish to find a single hard ticket at a lower price. If it cannot be provided, not a big deal. Just putting my wish out there.

Private messages appreciated. Big Love, and come what may, I'll see you at home <3
Gen ov eve

Postby Sham » Sat May 28, 2011 1:18 am

I post this amidst the excitement in getting prepared for my first experience, and when I lay in bed with my 19 month baby boy, whom I love with everything that I've got and more, I realize how ...scared, I guess you can say, I am of going away for a week+/-. I've not "officially" had second thoughts, but the thought of leaving him brings me much sadness.

One would say that being hesitant is a sign form the Universe, I have not yet taken it, as I really see this as a big growing experience for me, much needed and much overdue.

I've been caring for my son since day one whole-heartedly, with nothing but a loving, nurturing, and naturally educational environment. He has an intense love for arts, music, and books, and we watch not television, and are full participants of life. He is a very bright little man, and the thought of leaving him kills me.

On the other hand, he would be with such loving people the time I am away, and I'd be sure to get him prepared for the time away from me the best that I can. I do not look at this as a "vacation from my son", no, not at all, more of a vision quest for myself, as my being is not all there these days.

Please, could you kindly tell me if you've had such an experience, leaving a little one with loved ones while you go away to Burning Man? I intend to take him one day, just not my first time, and not alone.

I know it is my decision alone, that could not be more obvious, but I would like to get some honest responses. I thought for a minute before posting this and want to also add that it could go both ways if I do just go forward with this... my leaving him getting in the way of my experience, or improving my experience by just letting go for the duration, sending him postcards and whatnot, but letting go a little just to have a little personal freedom to self-improve.

In his 19 months of life, I've only had two nights away from him, both being less than 4 hours. Both times I went out dancing, and had the time of my life knowing he was in the care of someone that I trusted. But this time it is a week, give or take a day or two...

I hope I'm not overstepping when I offer the suggestion for you to skip 2011 and make 2012 your virgin year to attend this event. There are lots of things that you're dealing with, including leaving your baby. (see above)
If you start planning and gathering stuff now, you will be able to save money and be both mentally and financially prepared for a good time.
This may be a useful exercise in fighting that instant gratification thing that's so prevalent these days. Consider saving now and wait for the right time to make this happen.
Sham

Postby worksofheart » Sat May 28, 2011 2:22 am

Shambala wrote:If you start planning and gathering stuff now, you will be able to save money and be both mentally and financially prepared for a good time.
This may be a useful exercise in fighting that instant gratification thing that's so prevalent these days. Consider saving now and wait for the right time to make this happen.

I must agree wholeheartedly..and while I am not in the same single-parent boat (married mommy of two), the financial and family aspects of going "home" this year have made it necessary to postpone my first burn to 2012. NOT that the Playa isn't calling this year...my need for quick gratification is strong...yet I know that having all the "stars" aligned next year will make for a better burn experience. Just another birgin's two-cents worth...

Until we get there...wishing you love and light. :)
"If you've never tried, you should, these things are fun, and fun is good!"~~Dr. Seuss
worksofheart

Postby AntiM » Sat May 28, 2011 4:17 am

Well, the universe may be saying Not Yet for 2011, but you are waaaay ahead for 2012.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Gen ov eve » Sat May 28, 2011 7:26 am

Your responses are greatly appreciated. While I can agree with everything said, I also must say that this year is it for me. I've got most of the gear already. I am a heavy camper, just haven't done it since becoming a mother. I've had two tiny breaks from baby in his entire life (19 months), both lasting no longer than 4 hours and within the last three months. I've lots of personal improvement to gain from this experience and now feels right. It feels more right that it has felt the last seven years of wanting to go. I've already started having grandma visit from out of state every two weeks and have also budgetted in us traveling her direction every two weeks so that he is prepapered as possible for the time away. So far that is working out much greater than I expected. The food and water should be easy, and I've also planned well accordingly when packing, using collapsible gear when found durable to withstand an entire week. I can definitely afford a full priced ticket in June but I still felt the (...urge) to try to searching for a ticket priced lower, just for the sake of saving a bit extra for a little bit of slack in my creative department. Again, not a big deal if no one can provide it... and now I feel lame for even posting because if I can afford a full priced tic in June then I really should not have posted this... Naturaly I am always trying to save when I can... this one could have been avoided. But, I do thank you for your kind responses to this subject.
Gen ov eve

Postby FIGJAM » Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 am

Just keep watching this thread!

Last year was my first and I intentionally waited to get my ticket till june or july.

There are lots of people who get excited to go and have plans fall through.

The gal who started the "One item a day" thread could not have been more excited or prepped to go.

Alas she did'nt make it and she sold me her ticket for $280.

So don't give up yet! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Gen ov eve » Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 am

Wow, it just does not sit well with me that I am going about it this way. Hence, the original hesitance. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do this guilt free, buy a full priced ticket myself next month when I am able. Here's hoping the price does not jump up before then. I thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Gen ov eve

Postby ygmir » Sat May 28, 2011 10:29 am

yeah, what Figjam said.
tickets do come up, with some regularity, and sometimes in the lower tier pricing.
but, you have to act fast, and confirm it's a legit. offer.

Don't sweat getting off on the "wrong foot".........you're new, and, well, just not used to the "eplaya". It is not, and should not, be mistaken for "the playa".

thicken your skin a little, make a joke, and jump in here.
There is a ton of good info, and advice.....along with witty rejoinders and snark.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Gen ov eve » Sat May 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks, and I do get the feel of eplaya from reading so much of it. As said before, I've got a lot of personal growth to encounter as my childhood was straight robbed of me, therefore I need to see the humor in life as in my face as possible. Having a child now I realize how important it is that I face up to these obstacles and I see no better place to do this than BRC. I'll be there this year, there is no doubt in my mind about it. I need to visit the temple and burn away a lot of things I've built unending attatchments to. So, again, come what may, see you all at home. I'll keep an eye out here, and likely just buy it at full price next month.
Gen ov eve

Postby Savannah » Sat May 28, 2011 2:43 pm

You may find yourself with an opportunity by the time you have to make a decision. As the event gets closer, conflicts pop up, and the unprepared or indecisive start feeling the urge to shed their tickets.

Maybe bump your thread when payday comes, or check your local craigslist and or regional contacts (are you on your regional email lists?) and gamble however many days you're comfortable with before you do a full price sale.

http://regionals.burningman.com/us_va.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Gen ov eve » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Bumping, and adding that I've got all my gear ready and I am about ready to book flight tickets to wherever I choose to fly to from the east coast.

I was offered a ticket for $250 by somebody who was very kind to also offer to hold them until I was ready to buy them. She had sent photos and the tickets were priced at $210 on the back. I asked if she could sell them for lower than $250 because I'd be paying more even after fees and shipping, she wished not to. As much as I wanted to jump on them still at such a low price, I chose to decline. I would rather not pay for a ticket more than its original price, other than fees and shipping. For some reason I am now regretting declining them.

So, here I am searching for a lower tier ticket if possible... in kindest regards, and with love.
Gen ov eve

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 am

If scalpers are responsible for the runup on tickets, they may get cheaper closer to the burn.

There are always tickets available as plans change.

Was the $250 ticket canadian?
They pay more for shipping.

The scalping thing has ruined concerts, and I hope they lose a generation of attendees over it.
Scalpers can eat a lot of tickets if something sells out and they can over charge.
This may be what is driving tickets this year.
Not selling out has been a protection in the past, as scalpers can only get sucker purchases.
Let's hope it doesn't sell out.

There will be tickets for sale to the last minute anyhow.
gyre

Postby International Incident » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 am

(((((Gen ov eve))))

Good on you for turning it down. You will get a decent ticket, and even if you pay “full priceâ€
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:36 am

Melaniejane, a musician (can't recall the name, maybe Tom Waits?)
has devised an anti-scalping approach tying sales to I.D.

Scalping is still possible, but such a pain in the ass as to discourage it.
Tickets are picked up at the box office or must use I.D. to use, can't recall.
I posted somewhere on here about it.
Ticket transfers had to be done in person at the show.

The musician has realized that being unable to buy good seats discourages all sales, so not in their best interests.
Encourage other artists to realize this.
Enough boycotts will wake their ass up.

It's possible to stop this crap.
I blame ticket bastards for most of it here.

Burning man llc can easily stop scalping too, especially with no seating benefits.
If they don't, sellouts will wreck the tier system.
Bad for business.

All they have to do is tie early tiers to I.D. for admission, to protect the tiers.
Scalping could still be done with the final tier, unless it was done this way too, but only with a sellout.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I think this scalper issue is blown out of proportion. For one, the event would have to sell out, but even if it did, unlike other events it is relatively hard to offload tickets because of all the preparation and added cost to attend. You don't just buy up 400 tickets and sell them to schmucks standing out at the ticket gate waiting to enter; people who are attending have spent months in advance planning and preparation to attend. It's a sizable investment trying to scalp BM tickets when the ticket is just a small portion of the total cost to attend.

If scalping as it is just ends up taking advantage of morons who don't check the official sources, they deserve what they get and their money has been liberated for those who deserve it more.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby capjbadger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 pm

BBadger wrote:I think this scalper issue is blown out of proportion. For one, the event would have to sell out, but even if it did, unlike other events it is relatively hard to offload tickets because of all the preparation and added cost to attend. You don't just buy up 400 tickets and sell them to schmucks standing out at the ticket gate waiting to enter; people who are attending have spent months in advance planning and preparation to attend. It's a sizable investment trying to scalp BM tickets when the ticket is just a small portion of the total cost to attend.

If scalping as it is just ends up taking advantage of morons who don't check the official sources, they deserve what they get and their money has been liberated for those who deserve it more.

Actually you've got it a little backwards. they don't prebuy a bunch of tix then sell them. They get a buyer's money, THEN buy the ticket and transfer it.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:21 pm

gyre wrote:Melaniejane, a musician (can't recall the name, maybe Tom Waits?)
has devised an anti-scalping approach tying sales to I.D.

Scalping is still possible, but such a pain in the ass as to discourage it.
Tickets are picked up at the box office or must use I.D. to use, can't recall.
I posted somewhere on here about it.
Ticket transfers had to be done in person at the show.

The musician has realized that being unable to buy good seats discourages all sales, so not in their best interests.
Encourage other artists to realize this.
Enough boycotts will wake their ass up.

It's possible to stop this crap.
I blame ticket bastards for most of it here.

Burning man llc can easily stop scalping too, especially with no seating benefits.
If they don't, sellouts will wreck the tier system.
Bad for business.

All they have to do is tie early tiers to I.D. for admission, to protect the tiers.
Scalping could still be done with the final tier, unless it was done this way too, but only with a sellout.

I see a few problems with this idea.

First, among our camp, very few of us bought our own ticket. On ticket sale day, everyone that could get on a computer got on, and we got a ticket for almost everyone. In the end, I bought two tickets for people who don't have credit cards. Therefore their ID will not match the name of purchase.
Though, we should have waited, everyone was hung-hoo-to-go, but now a couple of people have bailed for different reasons.
So we have a couple tickets that need to be sold. How would we sell these tickets if the person using them in August is on the bill of sale?
Just a thought.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Gen ov eve » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Didn't mean to start a friendly debate (glad it is still a friendly one though). I am aware that on ePlaya threads do tend to sway. All good. Illy, have you sold them yet?
Gen ov eve

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm

illy dilly wrote:I see a few problems with this idea.

First, among our camp, very few of us bought our own ticket. On ticket sale day, everyone that could get on a computer got on, and we got a ticket for almost everyone. In the end, I bought two tickets for people who don't have credit cards. Therefore their ID will not match the name of purchase.
Though, we should have waited, everyone was hung-hoo-to-go, but now a couple of people have bailed for different reasons.
So we have a couple tickets that need to be sold. How would we sell these tickets if the person using them in August is on the bill of sale?
Just a thought.

This was for a traditional concert.

Burning man would have to fine tune the approach to deal with these issues.
As long as it is too much trouble for scalpers, it would help.

Scholarship tickets, unless they have changed things, require pickup at will call with I.D.

It would be worth the trouble to drive out the profiteers.

As long as you are forewarned, you can buy tickets accordingly.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:36 pm

capjbadger wrote:
BBadger wrote:I think this scalper issue is blown out of proportion. For one, the event would have to sell out, but even if it did, unlike other events it is relatively hard to offload tickets because of all the preparation and added cost to attend. You don't just buy up 400 tickets and sell them to schmucks standing out at the ticket gate waiting to enter; people who are attending have spent months in advance planning and preparation to attend. It's a sizable investment trying to scalp BM tickets when the ticket is just a small portion of the total cost to attend.

Actually you've got it a little backwards. they don't prebuy a bunch of tix then sell them. They get a buyer's money, THEN buy the ticket and transfer it.

-Badger

Very possible.
But they have every motivation to clean out the early tiers whether the show sells out or not.

I would like to de-motivate them.
gyre

Postby Gen ov eve » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 pm

No turning back now, I'm coming home! Thank you all who keep this community burning bright. Even though I've not been Home yet, I'm there in the default world through your unending dedication. All the work that is taking place now and will when we arrive, thank you for it all! See you in 71 days!
Gen ov eve

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Woo-hoo!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Congratulations
gyre

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:56 am

Awesome! It wouldn't be the same without you.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby graidawg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:15 am

good for you, like you i knew this year was the year to go. the difficulties are just to test your resolve because it does take a fair amount of effort to get home.

you will do fine - dont rush home as soon as it gets difficult but dont stay if you are miserable.

ygmir has good advice something to the effect of

1 is it fun? yes then do it
2 see above
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby JStep » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 pm

gyre wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I see a few problems with this idea.

Just a thought.

This was for a traditional concert.

Burning man would have to fine tune the approach to deal with these issues.
As long as it is too much trouble for scalpers, it would help.

Scholarship tickets, unless they have changed things, require pickup at will call with I.D.

It would be worth the trouble to drive out the profiteers.

As long as you are forewarned, you can buy tickets accordingly.

It would definitely need a unique approach. Requiring ID or that you produce the credit card used to purchase means you can't gift tickets to people as they'd be denied access when they don't have your ID or credit card.

Maybe a catptcha system, preventing bots from buying tix, then you have to also show the captcha text at the gate. Then if you gift you just provide the captcha with the tix to the giftee?

I dunno... Hard to think up a good solution to scalping.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby graidawg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Easy way to get past scalpers, dont buy the tickets for more than face value. insist on a pic of it before buying showing the value. it does kind of mention it on the main site doesn't it? or reselling of tickets must be done through BMorg.

Or just accept it after all we live in a capatalist society where money is god. Even if some of us aren't religious
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Nearicles DO happen! Welcome Home.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Return to 2011 Tickets