Party mess on deep playa, art?

Re: Party mess on deep playa, art?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Go leave 'em a nice juicy one!!

UPDATE ON ROBOT HEART: Robot Heart denies participation and claims that they're unlawfully and untruthfully representing them. However.. I got a FB message from the camp organizer claiming otherwise.

Robot Heart, Robot Heart.. say it isn't so! Leave a wall post to RH about this and request an official, public denouncement/clarification about this. Let's hear it..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Robot Heart may be in trouble if the campers and leaders don't know what's going on with each other.

It's very hard to lead a camp. It's very hard to lead a camp if you piss off your campers by becoming affiliated with experiences they have no respect for.

It may play out.

It may not.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm

well Dr. DiMartini has a secret....(he is one of the main figures at Stiglitz 360)

but you'll have to pay to find out...

evidently he has no problem using dead celebrities and historical figures to shill his shit self "help" seminars.

i hope this turd shows on the playa, i really do, so i can Skool him in the fine art of Megaphone, NY style.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elorrum » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:well Dr. DiMartini has a secret....(he is one of the main figures at Stiglitz 360)
but you'll have to pay to find out....

and Mum's or er Krug's the word.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Boijoy » Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 am

It warms my heart that Simon has found something to keep him busy until the Burn. & thanks for all your hard work Simon!! It's been a pleasure to bash these douch nozzles in every hole your digging!!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Attachments
havegolemwilltravel.jpg
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby bubbavic » Tue May 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Has there ever been such a thing as a picket line protest for a camp at burning man?
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 22, 2012 2:45 pm

bubbavic wrote:Has there ever been such a thing as a picket line protest for a camp at burning man?

No need when you have these amazing interwebz.
junglesmacks

Postby bubbavic » Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
bubbavic wrote:Has there ever been such a thing as a picket line protest for a camp at burning man?

No need when you have these amazing interwebz.

Aye, but there is no interwebz on the Playa!
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby lemur » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

of course there is internet on the playa!!

its quite good, too.

and available in multiple places!

sweet.

(edit: available to plug n play camps only)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm

i'm only talking to SIRI all week...

the rest of you can go fuck yourselves.
Attachments
siri.jpg
siri.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 am

in my book, the tribes of burning man.. i describe why DJs are awesome
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 9:51 am

In my book, The DJs of Burningman, I don't stop, no not for one single page, talking about how the DJs are awesome.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby forty_eight » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 am

Excerpts ... would be awesome, too!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 am

John Carroll wrote:There's been an interesting little slow-motion dustup between the makers of Krug Champagne and the organizers and stewards of Burning Man over an event that happened last year at the annual festival of radical fun in the Nevada desert.

This entry, written by Evil Pippi, a.k.a. Candace Locklear, in the Burning Man blog tells the story: "Krug ... and its publicity machine staged and hosted an elaborate dinner party at the trash fence on Friday night of the 2011 event.

"Pre-event, Krug's PR agency pitched members of the media to photograph and report on the staged dinner for publications such as Town & Country and W Magazine. They invited society bloggers to the 'exclusive' champagne dinner with the expectation of getting even more coverage, and pro photogs to shoot it. And it worked.

"The organizers of this event brought paid photographers to the playa and had them falsely register with Media Mecca saying they were there to cover general art and playa happenings, instead of telling the truth; that they were there to act as representatives of Krug - obviously knowing that if they had told the truth, they would not have been allowed to photograph. They then pulled the dinner off entirely under the radar, had the dinner covered both by their captive media and the general media, and managed to get product placement articles published.

"My friends and I came across the scene of the dinner on our art car, The Slug, en route to explore the deep playa late on Friday night. We slowed down to check out the remains of what appeared to have been a fantastically fancy party staged on a long constructed dinner table, lit by large hurricane lanterns. The stained tables had empty water bottles and other party residue strewn about. And it was right along the trash fence. What a great place for such a dinner, we marveled. But was anyone going to clean it all up? Not a soul was around. Krug just took their commodified photos and left the mess for us."

Of course, Burning Man has no way of redressing its grievance, because its internal guidelines do not have the force of law. It can ask Burners to "remember the name" of the Champagne when they shop, but that's about it. There have been strains for some years as the once-obscure festival has met media popularity. In general, the moral suasion exerted by Burning Man has been enough to stop exploitation of the event.

I am not a Burner myself - to my regret - but I have numerous friends who are, and I tend to cherish what they cherish. I have chosen a side in this debate largely because of that loyalty, but also because of the "10 Principles" that the early Burning Man loyalists devised to codify their vision of the nature of the festival.

The first of these principles, radical inclusion ("Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community") would seem to suggest that commercial exploitation is just another stranger to be welcomed. But the next two principles are more to the point.

One of those principles is Gifting: "Burning Man is devoted to the act of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value."

The other is Decommodification: "In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience."

I think these goals are admirable and worth fighting for. They are directly in opposition to the way things are done in the real world, and the real world is not a happy place. I am reminded of what the online world was like before people saw it as a mysterious and alluring cash cow. It was an electronic commons where the only currencies were wit, information and brainpower.

It is not a coincidence that many of the early adopters of the online world were also early adopters to - in some cases, creators of - Burning Man. Burning Man stayed true to its origins, puzzling out each new challenge to its values as a series of problems to be solved by applying the principles.

I do know that things are not always smooth in the Burning Man community, because it does have human beings running the joint. Nevertheless, every year it comes off - and it is remarkable, in a way, that a little corporate event, so common and even desirable in the greater world, would be the biggest outrage of 2011.

Out by the trash fence, just a little commercial celebration that, alas, mucked up the vibe.

Produce their bodies, be they alive or dead - this judgment of the heavens, that makes us tremble, touches us not with jcarroll@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page E - 10 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1viNf5OLg
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 am

KRUG CHAMPAGNE TASTES LIKE PISS and yes, i tasted piss once. but only on accident.. and that is the same way i tasted krug champagne, on accident.. i would never willfully drink that krug shit.. because it tastes like piss.
lemur

Postby forty_eight » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
John Carroll wrote:There's been an interesting little slow-motion dustup between the makers of Krug Champagne and the organizers and stewards of Burning Man over an event that happened last year at the annual festival of radical fun in the Nevada desert.

oOOPS, I meant from your book on BM DJs!
forty_eight

Postby lemur » Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 am

tribes of burning man .. page 104..

10 mentions of DJ on one page..

go team!

http://books.google.com/books?id=7zo36P ... dj&f=false
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm

48_love wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

oOOPS, I meant from your book on BM DJs!

Yeah, I figured it out later. I was pulling your leg. I never wrote a book about bmdjs. I'm probably radically unqualified--and that's what made it a joke.
Sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby forty_eight » Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 pm

^ Too funny about subtle sarcasm on the interwebz! It rarely works to much effect.

I knew it was a joke, but I figured the excerpts would be quickly made up, too! Maybe I need to make up my own fake ones ... doacracy and all that! haha
forty_eight

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm too clueless to make up stuff about djs. That initial joke was as funny as I get on the topic...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Lemur, that excerpt is fucking hilarious, and fuck you very much for posting it. I dislike the idea of books like this exploiting Burning Man about as much as bourgeois periodical puff pieces exploiting Burning Man, and yet there's such intrinsic charm in the unintended self-parody that you can't look away.

But I did like Jon Carroll's little piece in the Chronic, seemed sympathetic enough without gushing. Good local media pieces about the event have been rare. Summer Burkes' columns were engaging, mostly based on her experiences w/ the DPW, and that's about it.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm

fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm

How do you find this stuff, Simon?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 23, 2012 5:53 pm

It was on Facebook too. Though I don't think it was shared on my timeline by Simon because I think he has me blocked. :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

thats because your friends with halcyon, i put it on his page to make sure he knew he had competition.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Eric » Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:In my book, The DJs of Burningman, I don't stop, no not for one single page, talking about how the DJs are awesome.

From my copy (signed, of course) of Fishy's book:

"while wandering in a adderol-laden haze through the tremulous glow of vibrating lights, I heard the familiar buggaloo-bass of DJ Discjokai pounding subliminal bliss into the workings of my brain. The vibe of sheer fermented inhibition pulled my Prada-clad wheels as if by magnetic force towards the dusty dancefloor, where I could revel in the sounds of pure cosmic euphoria..."

"DJ FaBreeZ grabbed the turntables with feverish intensity, as she forced the unyielding bi-rythmic tempo into an asymetrical cascade of electronic noodling, a soul-baring denouement of unexpected delirium..."

"from high above the crowd, standing in a replica of a Lego castle made out of translucent polymers and filled with dancers with the writhing bodies of strippers and the movements of Jimmy Hoffa swaying at the bottom of the sea, the gutteral sounds of DJ ImaDJ rolled across the playa, the pulsating vibrations reminding me of electrodes grafting the resonance of the universe onto my pulsating ego..."

(do I have to admit that I write blurbs for a dance club for a living?)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Wed May 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Eric wrote:(do I have to admit that I write blurbs for a dance club for a living?)

Folk dance club?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:thats because your friends with halcyon, i put it on his page to make sure he knew he had competition.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
junglesmacks

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance