Need a helper for your installation?

Need a helper for your installation?

Postby brc-fun » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello All,

I was bringing an installation, that I am not able to finish.
One of my crew is a single mother, and Burningman is her 2 week vacation.
She's been going to the burn since 2002, and has worked on many theme camps, mutant vehicles, and art installations.
She is free the week before the gates open (and enjoys that week more than the event itself).

I'm posting this, because I've been hearing that there are installations with crew who don't have tickets (and are now short-handed).
I'm also feeling guilty, because I've sort-of let her down (even though she would never say that).
If you need a helper, she has a ticket and can do about anything.

Hoping they are allowed to sell more tickets, <<< Not for myself; for all the folks who had planned to help set-up the city, but got caught off gaurd.

Grady
Last edited by brc-fun on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is air presure on the playa,

Grady
brc-fun

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Emerge-n-See In-Tents IV Care Unit

Re: Need a helper for your installation?

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 pm

This came in from our camp Placement mail today.

Hello Placed Theme Camps and recipients of Early Arrival Bar Code Passes:

We have seen an increase in requests for Early Arrival Bar Codes passes and we are seeing instances where they are being treated as collateral and being traded, sold or given away. Camps have been , well, er, "burned" by folks from outside camps who traded a promise of setup labor in exchange for an early arrival pass, and then left the camp high and dry, short of labor and out of passes. Don't go there.
This year the early arrival bar codes passes will reflect the name of your placer, your sector and the name of your Theme Camp.

The early arrival bar code passes are not transferable.

This year all participants arriving early will be expected to have their torn ticket and their early arrival bar code pass with them at all times, in the event that Burning Man staff asks for them to confirm your authorized early presence on playa.

If we discover misuse of the early arrival bar codes , the associated batch of early arrival bar codes can be voided for that theme camp and early arrival will be denied, placement voided and this will be documented in our system for future reference. Trading, selling or giving away your camp's early arrival bar code pass(es) is not acceptable. Please do not do it.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby brc-fun » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Hello Mr. Dust Devil,

Good information. Thank you. Are you saying that all the camps and installations who have early entry passes with names of folks who don't have tickets will be short-handed this year? In other words, there is no way to transfer the name (even a month in advance)? If this is true, the BRC will more than likely be less built than in years past.

Thank you in advance for your answer to my questions,

Grady

Grady
brc-fun

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:20 pm

While there may a few people who have an EAP and no ticket, I suspect that will be a very small number. Most of the large art projects have had their ticket requests in for a while. Also, while there is a vocal group who does not have tickets, there are still 50,000 plus people who do. And this is not to say that swapping EAP's won't happen. Of course it will. I suspect that any camp that gives up an EAP will be a little more careful who gets it. If you are there actually working on a camp or an art project there really is no reason for anyone to bother you. If you are there, wandering aimlessly about or land grabbing.........you might have a problem. I was actually surprised to see that letter from placement. With all the ticket scalping, I figured I could have payed the fuel bill on our genny with a couple of EAP's. With tickets on Ebay what they are, EAP's should bring $500 or more. Now I must reconsider. :wink:
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby brc-fun » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:05 pm

That's funny!

She went in early last year on my pass which came from another person who was not able to arrive until later.
She worked on the Towering Inferno with the Telluride crew.

F! Maybe we'll just bust ass and finish a lame version of our original project and arrive early on our own passes.
I've seen "less finished" art on the playa before...

Thanx again for the info Dust Devil.

Grady

P.S. She live in the Northwest, and would drive up to Seattle or down to San Fran to help a crew pack too.

Grady
brc-fun

Return to 2011 Art & Performance