Fire Safety Chief needed FRiday Night for Squid burn

Fire Safety Chief needed FRiday Night for Squid burn

Postby damianphoenix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 am

Hello , I am building an awesome Squid effigy that is set to burn on Friday night. It reuires that a fire safety person be on hand during the burn And so iam looking for soemone who can volunteer their time on Friday night that can fill this role.
Please contact me as soon as possible at
- damian
ninjasurfer@live.com

or
415 912 9544
damianphoenix

Re: Fire Safety Chief needed FRiday Night for Squid burn

Postby Isotopia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:19 pm

You *might* want to contact 911@burningman.com to see if the requirements for a fire safety chief needs to have some sort of requisite certification(s).

Just having someone show up and say they'll do it most likely won't cut it - especially if the fire effects involved are large or conatin identifiable Class 1 hazards.

Just sayin.'
Isotopia

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Actually the correct contact would be fire-art (at) burningman (dot) com. This will go directly to the Fire Art Safety Team. The lead for a burn needs to be well versed in what is required. All of this information is on the website. You will find it on the main page under "art installations" then click on the "open fire" link. Your lead will need to be familar with your project, the type of safety perimeter it will require, how it will be ignited etc.

The first question I would ask you is "have you registered this project"? If the answer is "no" I would not count on burning Friday night. There are a lot of projects scheduled for that night and the Fire Art Safety Team will be stretched pretty thin. A burn of any size on the Playa will need to be inspected and laminated by a member of FAST. Also, if you have not registered, it is most likely too late to order DG for your burn platform.

Now, if your project has been registered and the DG ordered, you are almost there. Is there a reason you can't be your own burn lead?

If this project is large enough to require a perimeter, it is on your to find the people to man the perimeter. There is a formula on the main site that will allow you to determine the size of the perimeter. You will need one person for every 25' of circumference. You will need a method to indentify the perimeter personal, IE orange safety vests.

Everything you need to know is available. You just need to read it. It sounds more difficult than it is.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks, Iso and Dustdevil. This looked hinkey to me, too, but I was afraid of jumping the gun.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2011 Art & Performance