20' Fiberglass Aerial Rig

20' Fiberglass Aerial Rig

Postby anandaconda » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 am

Camp Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves is hauling a 20' fiberglass pyramid rig all the way from Atlanta, GA for our camp entrance. Most of us work on the single point lyra, so we'll have one of those rigged for most of the week. Walk by and someone might holler at ya' from the heights. :D

I know finding rig time on the playa can be tricky. Are there other lyra dancers out there who'd like to stop by? If you have your own silks, we can likely swap out for you.

If you've ever had an interest in learning the lyra, I'm teaching a basic class on Thursday at 6 PM; I've taught it at TribOriginal a few times, and I love to see the joy on people's faces, especially when they thought this was something they could never do.
"Good deeds are the best prayer." --Serbian Proverb
anandaconda

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Wow! That looks fun!
I've always wanted to try that.
I do silly inverted swings and acrobatics in my arborist harness while up in trees (freaks out my ground person when I do it at 60ft...).
I'm going to try and find you.
Please, as soon as you know your location, let us know.
Will you be doing it at other times? The ePlaya meet n greet is scheduled at the same time... :cry:
Still though, yay!
Ff
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby anandaconda » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:35 pm

60' arborist rig? Hellz yeah!!! :D

We've submitted a theme camp application, so I hope to be able to post our location in the next few weeks. If that doesn't work out, then I will definitely register at Playa Info.

I haven't published another class time, but if you let me know one that might work for you, I'd be delighted to meet up!

A few years ago, I hauled my lyra to swing at Center Camp, and it was such an incredible feeling to fly in the wind and the dust. Partway through, someone dressed as a skexes (from the Dark Crystal) ambled through. I was upside-down at the time, and it was breathtaking.
anandaconda

Postby Age » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 am

Do you guys know how you're transporting your rigs to the Playa? The Georgia crew that's doing the CORE effigy for our region is likely leasing a shipping container that will be transported by commercial carrier for the effigy pieces, and they're going to have a lot of extra space that they're renting out cheaply to local burners who need to ship gear.

If ya'll don't already have a solution for shipping, or want to look at their container as a cheaper option, PM me your info and I'll get them in touch with you :)

PS - I don't have the skills to perform on the rig, but I'll definitely be an avid fan, as always.

Postby anandaconda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi, Age! We have two trucks/trailers heading west, one from Atlanta & one from Greenville, SC, so I think we should be covered. If anything changes, though, I will surely let you know. Thank you! CORE effigy-- is that another name for Charlie Smith's Firebirds?

Also? I'm happy to share what skills I have with you!

Being an aerialist is something I NEVER thought I would be able to claim. I have zero upper body strength. I failed the Presidential Physical Fitness award in elementary school ONLY because I couldn't do the flexed arm hang. Fuckers. (I've contemplated petitioning Ronald Reagan's estate for a do-over.)

I don't really do heights very well either, so the fact that I chose to pick this up as a hobby baffled my friends and family. And I picked it up about 9 months after being run over by a car.

I'll never be Cirque material, and I'm okay with that. But for the adrenaline rush and unadulterated joy I get from doing something my body is not "supposed" to be able to do? There's nothing like it. That's what I love sharing. :)
anandaconda

Postby Age » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:10 pm

anandaconda wrote:Hi, Age! We have two trucks/trailers heading west, one from Atlanta & one from Greenville, SC, so I think we should be covered. If anything changes, though, I will surely let you know. Thank you! CORE effigy-- is that another name for Charlie Smith's Firebirds?

Nope, the Atlanta/Georgia regional submission to the Circle of Regional Effigies is not related to Charlie's project. Charlie's also doing something for CORE (his Firebirds), but the Atlanta burner community is doing a replica (scaled down due to BM restrictions) of the Alchemy 2008 effigy, with some enhancements to make it fully climbable and whatnot.

If you weren't at Alchemy that year, here's a shot of the effigy:

Didn't see a video of the 2008 burn, but here's the 2009 Alchemy effigy burn, which I just had to share because it was spectacular (in my opinion):

[youtube]http://youtu.be/wdmlVsn_7No[/youtube]

Re: 20' Fiberglass Aerial Rig

Postby anandaconda » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am

I couldn't get to the link, but I've seen some footage of the Alchemy burns the last few years-- I always have a big work deployment that weekend and have to miss it. Never fails. Ah, well. Something has to pay the bills. I was really pleased to read some more about the CORE and Firebirds projects in a recent JRS-- what an amazing connection of teams.

Sadly, Gypsies, Tramps, & Thieves did not get placement this year. And neither did our friends and boon companions the Funk Pirates. We're bummed, but undaunted-- we're going to meet in Reno and find some adjacent parcels together. (They will have a large wall, planned to front into the wind as a dust deterrent and wall of gifts and goodies. I'm aiming to camp behind them! :) ) Just stop by Playa Info to get our final location. Look for the 20' aerial tripod rig set in a nest of shiny yurts. The rig should have raggle-taggle gypsy bedsheet walls on 3 sides to protect our aerialists from full sun.

Even without placement, we will still be offering all of the tarot, yoga, dance, aerial, henna, harquus, bandana-making, and face painting festivities we've planned. We will still be boasting a Cordon Bleu-trained chef who will show you everything you need to know about sharp knives and playa spice-blending. :D

Ryan of the Funk Pirates will also be bringing his art car Fly Me to the Moon, which has a lyra mounted on the back now, so we can take our aerialisms on the road.
anandaconda

Re: 20' Fiberglass Aerial Rig

Postby jella » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 am

Jots it down in the " something I wanna try" part of my notebook :)

If anything else is certainly sounds entertaining to watch !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Return to 2011 Art & Performance