Seasoned veteran DJ and burner looking for spots to play

Seasoned veteran DJ and burner looking for spots to play

Postby mener » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm

I know, I am one of a zillion DJs looking for spots to play. Ive been to Burning Man 13 years and Ive been DJing for 15 years. I play mostly house, breaks and techno. Just trying to play a couple sets out there. Have some mixes here:

www.themener.com

Contact me at the_mener@yahoo.com or through a PM here.

Thanks!
mener

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm

mener,

My reaction based on what I've seen on this forum is that it will be difficult at best to illicit any response but sarcasm to your request. Might be better to contact some of the theme camps directly than to throw out a generic thread here. Good luck
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Darn, it happened again! I was hoping this thread would sink to the bottom without a single answer. :wink:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby mener » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Dr. Helix: I've actually had decent success in the past, but believe me, I was laughing when I posted it.
mener

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 pm

mener wrote:Dr. Helix: I've actually had decent success in the past, but believe me, I was laughing when I posted it.

Well I give you credit, you don't seem to have the usual "Look at Me!!!" mindset I see in so many other DJ posters. Go through the DJ threads and I think you'll get an idea of why they get smacked around so much. The only thread that really sets eplayans off worse is the "need a free ticket" sob stories, and I noticed you're no fan of those based on your comments to polyfish. Anyway, good luck on finding a gig.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Let me see if I have this straight: You have been to TTITD 13 times, are an accomplished DJ, yet nobody is beating down your door to work your magic in their venue. Is that pretty accurate? If so, then I would say that you (as most of your contemporaries also happen to be) suck. Don't mean to be critical, but what other reasonable conclusion are we to come to?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Elliot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Doc makes a good point. "Techno" sucks too, and he said he plays that.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby mener » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Let me see if I have this straight: You have been to TTITD 13 times, are an accomplished DJ, yet nobody is beating down your door to work your magic in their venue. Is that pretty accurate? If so, then I would say that you (as most of your contemporaries also happen to be) suck. Don't mean to be critical, but what other reasonable conclusion are we to come to?

I dont know what "TTITD" is, but this will be my 13th consecutive year on the playa. I have other slots lined up, but thought Id try my luck with camps I dont know. Its fun to meet new people this way. Plus, I started going there before there was a rave on every corner, so believe it or not, its not my top priority. I guess I am just trying to network more than anything. As for skill level, feel free to listen and judge:

www.themener.com
mener

Postby mener » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 pm

In fact, heres a direct link of the last mix I did:

http://i.mixcloud.com/CVfGw

No downloading needed. You can stream it straight from there. :-)
mener

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:00 am

At least he isn't asking for a ticket.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am

I'll grant you this, Mener: You communicate in a civilized manner.

But.... Is is possible to participate in That Thing In The Desert for 13 years and still not know what T.T.I.T.D. stands for?

The point is, Mener, that nine out of ten people I talk to on the Playa are fed up with the thunderous electronic repetitive thumping (T.E.C.H.N.O.). How about you pick up a banjo or something and actually play some music?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 am

I like how nine out of ten people on the internet make up statistics to prove their points. ;)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby mener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 am

Elliot wrote:I'll grant you this, Mener: You communicate in a civilized manner.

But.... Is is possible to participate in That Thing In The Desert for 13 years and still not know what T.T.I.T.D. stands for?

The point is, Mener, that nine out of ten people I talk to on the Playa are fed up with the thunderous electronic repetitive thumping (T.E.C.H.N.O.). How about you pick up a banjo or something and actually play some music?

Thanks Elliot. I do play other instruments like drums and piano, but they are too large and cumbersome to bring out to the desert (not to mention the elements would destroy them).

I Google searched it and apparently its "That Thing In The Desert." Maybe I didn't know because the playa has been in my backyard most of my life (Reno native) and I steer away from the insanity that is Center Camp?
mener

Postby mener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 am

Elliot wrote:But.... Is is possible to participate in That Thing In The Desert for 13 years and still not know what T.T.I.T.D. stands for?

Another reason I may not know that acronym is because of my age demographic. My first year at Burning Man was 1999 when I was 20 years old and I've camped mostly with people my age each year. And to be fair, I've been to "That Thing In The Desert" (during Labor Day weekend) 12 times. This year will mark numero 13.
mener

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 am

I didn't know until this year, & only after catching sight of it on ePlaya. :lol: Been 6 times starting in 2000, this is my 7th.

It crops up in conversations where you already know what's being talked about, so finding out exactly what the letters stand for doesn't become a priority. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bin Noddin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:08 pm

mener wrote:

Thanks Elliot. I do play other instruments like drums and piano, but they are too large and cumbersome to bring out to the desert (not to mention the elements would destroy them).

I Google searched it and apparently its "That Thing In The Desert." Maybe I didn't know because the playa has been in my backyard most of my life (Reno native) and I steer away from the insanity that is Center Camp?

WHOA - WHOA - WHOA - You want a pie-annah?
Elliot gots your pie-annah!

Talk to each other. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby jkisha » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I've been going for six years and I only recently learned what TTITD stood for. But isn't this guy the same person that has been sneaking into TTITD for the past several years?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:04 pm

jkisha wrote:

I've been going for six years and I only recently learned what TTITD stood for. But isn't this guy the same person that has been sneaking into TTITD for the past several years?

No, I snuck in for several years, but that was several years ago...
mener

Postby Elliot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Very well, perhaps TTITD is mostly an E-playa expression. But it's soooo tempting to pick on the DJs! :lol:

I may not make it to TTITD this year, but if I do, I will have a couple of paiannas with me, yes. Really bad ones, of course -- what did you expect. But usable. I even know a piano tuner on the Playa -- and where to find him.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby mener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Elliot wrote:Very well, perhaps TTITD is mostly an E-playa expression. But it's soooo tempting to pick on the DJs! :lol:

I may not make it to TTITD this year, but if I do, I will have a couple of paiannas with me, yes. Really bad ones, of course -- what did you expect. But usable. I even know a piano tuner on the Playa -- and where to find him.

I definitely understand why people would want to pick on Djs on this site. "So, its like totally my first year and I heard there's concerts every night. I think this is like Coachella right? Anyways, I've been DJing for 6 months (mostly for my fraternity) and I hella wanna play some music dawg. Hook it up!"
mener

Postby Elliot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 am

:D You understand! :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby dj_john69 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:39 pm

fuck mener
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:43 pm

/
Saying "I'm a DJ" is just another way of saying " I have no talent"
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Damn eplaya is getting harsh. I got no need to be associated with this.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Damn eplaya is getting harsh. I got no need to be associated with this.

:?: HUH
unjonharley

Postby jkisha » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Damn eplaya is getting harsh. I got no need to be associated with this.

:?: HUH

Double HUH? :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 am

I think he's saying that he has every intention of committing a Denial of Service attack this evening at about 7pm PST, and shutting this popsicle stand DOWN.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 am

Savannah wrote:I think he's saying that he has every intention of committing a Denial of Service attack this evening at about 7pm PST, and shutting this popsicle stand DOWN.

mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Undecided » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Sup Mener :)
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Return to 2011 Art & Performance