DJ (Techno-ish) looking for somewhere to play

DJ (Techno-ish) looking for somewhere to play

Postby mydigitalself » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:23 am

Hello Burners!

My girlfriend and I are coming from London to Burning Man for the first time this year and are so excited!

I'm a hobbyist DJ and play mainly Techno and Minimal as well as some Tech House, House House, Deep House, Semi Detached House and Electro. I recently entered a competition to win a set at an electronic dance music festival here in the UK and came fourth out of a hundred and something people, so I sort of know what I'm doing. Sort of. ;)

I love dancing and would love to contribute by (hopefully) making people dance, or at least nod their heads with some more chillaxy tunes.

I still don't entirely understand how the music set up works at Burning Man, but if anyone has any opportunity for me to play, whether it be on a little dance floor or in your tent, please let me know.

If you want a sample of the stuff I do, check me out on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/misterbeat

See you all on the playa! So very, very, excited!
Mike
mydigitalself

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 am

(I love that this post has only 6 views and no replies) that said. here goes with the standard DJ looking for a place to play. Dude there are more djs at burningman than you could conceive of. It is extremely hard to play a set there unless you are already with a sound camp. camps plan their dj sets a super long time in advance. I am a dj and i don't even bring my tunes with me anymore. I would highly suggest not trying to spin! I would recommend that you come with no expectations and just have fun. There are some amazing djs on the playa, enjoy them and don't worry about wether you can spin somewhere. Don't go up to every sound camp and say hey listen to this mix think i might get a spot. You will have a much better time if you just go and let it all soak in. Maybe make some friends at camps with sound and then next year maybe camp with them and you can play some tunes. Sorry if this is sounding a bit harsh but it is what it is. I hope you have a great burn, its gonna be BIG!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am

:) :roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mydigitalself » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 am

Hey Curious, thanks for the response! That doesn't surprise me, but you never know! A few friends of mine are taking a little system with them so I'll probably get a chance to spin there.
mydigitalself

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 am

That's the best way. And if people stop and dance it's a really good compliment, because everyone already knows where to go to find the big raves (which like Nate said, have been planning their lineup for a year).
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Nothing sadder than a DJ playing to an empty floor.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

put together a killer polka set and we'll talk.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:55 pm

NOBODY LISTENS TO TECHNO ANYMORE.
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: put together a killer polka set and we'll talk.

Postby lemur » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:07 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:NOBODY LISTENS TO TECHNO ANYMORE.

it's all about phish these days out there... leave your DJ gear at home.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby hheneage » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 am

Hey mate, lets chat.

Have listened to a bit of your soundcloud stuff. All very chilled minimal/techy stuff.

We've are a camp that has mainly trance - so pretty big, fast beats.. Most of the boys playing can happily keep the origin stage gripped for hours, if've you've ever wandered over there at Glade you may know a few.

Think its always good to bring some London sounds to the playa. There could be a space for some more chilled early evening warm up beats.. Or boozy sunrise sessions.

You're from London, we're from London.. Lets chat.

Have you played at anything I might have been to? or play somewhere regularly?

ooliganalley.co.uk
Come to Ooligan alley. Visually titilating sound camp - Cold beer washed down with lashings of bass.

http://ooliganalley.co.uk
hheneage

Return to 2011 Art & Performance