NV legistlature: bill fails that would license fire perfs.

NV legistlature: bill fails that would license fire perfs.

Postby kenf1 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:22 pm

A bill, AB304 - http://bit.ly/kSVTl5 in the NV Legislature just failed that would require fire performers to be licensed. WooHoo.
kenf1

Postby jkisha » Thu May 26, 2011 7:17 pm

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. On the up side, it didn't pass.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Trishntek » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

One would think that would be somewhere WAYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyy down the priority list.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 26, 2011 9:40 pm

For Burning Man?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jkisha » Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Trishntek wrote:One would think that would be somewhere WAYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyy down the priority list.

For sure. Like they don't have better things to regulate, like oil companies and wall street banks...oh, wait, they can't regulate them, they are on their payroll. :shock: :cry: :roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Thu May 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Licensing as such is already done by the state fire marshal; the proposed law would have made changes to existing regs. Did you actually read it?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Kinetik V » Fri May 27, 2011 7:38 am

It's obvious he didn't read it or he would have realized it's a state of Nevada bill, not something from D.C.

But that being said instead of banks and oil companies, it's mining interests at the state level that influences everything in Nevada. Hell they want to reopen the Comstock Lode to pit mining and almost got it done under people's noses until the stench of the questionable cash flowing past got people's attention. Now it's like not so fast, this ain't gonna happen this way.

Nevada politics are flat out fucking weird. No wonder the people in D.C. didn't push to build an Interstate Highway spur to Carson City for so long...they didn't want to make it easier for the insanity to get out to the rest of the country...
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby EspressoDude » Fri May 27, 2011 8:13 am

didn't read the proposed changes, but if like everything else in NV, there will be a different license for each and every type of fuel used; just like flame effects, one for propane, one for natural gas....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby pinemom » Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 am

We at Controlled burn actually had Bob Bobzien(sp?) Write that bill, because the fire marshall was attempting to raise the age to spin fire to 21 from 18. We put in for 12 and they didnt like that so we tried for 16 nope still didnt like it, so settled(compromised) for 18 to ensure that it didnt go any higher.

So......its back to the drawing board for new lingo and maybe perhaps some work shoulder to shoulder with the fire marshal.

What sucks is that 3 yrs ago a very "green" firemarshal in Sparks threw up her arms about underage performers...ie, CB kids, that have been performing with their parents for over 9 yrs...all parents hold Fire marshal cards and insurance, and the kids had insurance as well (210.00 a year out of personal pocket). Well Sparks FM saw to it that no child would ever spin publically ever again! and it worked! *&$%^#!!!!!!!!

We lost the sparkle in the eyes of our children, we lost the leverage to keep good grades in order to stay in performance.

And the funny thing is, our kids can spin circles around us old farts! I swear, they watch a you tube of a new move and then...JUST do it!Perfectly.

This has been a very hard uphill struggle, to share an art form in a family context, when so many famiies dont have anything to share anymore.

They really have no idea. I watched Burnerbaby fall by the wayside and show interest in other things that trumped fire spinning, well cause she couldnt do it on stage anymore, and now Im watching the other kids(children of performing parents) who have lost that loving feeling....because its just not fair, and I agree with the kids, if your parent is there doing safety for you..... why can 12 yr old kids go hunting to KILL things with GUNS, but cant do simple tool manipulation.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri May 27, 2011 8:30 am

this is a dissapointment that it DIDN'T pass.

This sucks!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

It's still gasping for breath....

Postby gemini » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

Hey folks,
Hang in there. I agree it was exceedingly distressing to read this this morning, but know that we are not defeated yet!

More details to come, but this is not a dead issue.

Also, just to clarify, fire performers are ALREADY regulated in the state of Nevada. This legislation was requested by US, Controlled Burn, because we were being dealt with inconsistently when we would try to get permits for different events. This bill is actually a good thing. If we can get it to go, it recognizes fire dancing as an art in statute, and hopefully will help protect us and ensure consistent standards are applied in the future.

Thanks for your patience, support, and intelligent discourse!

Gemini
gemini

Postby Trishntek » Fri May 27, 2011 4:57 pm

There I go making assumptions,,,, tsk tsk tsk I broke rule #1. I'm sorry for your loss.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Snow » Fri May 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks piney for explainin it to those who don't read before posting.

Damn, i was pulling for this one! And I don't mean pulling like jkisha, maybe we should've tried a bit more of that. Its a touchy subject for those of us with spinning kids. Does this mean the age is going to go to 21? Hopefully not, K just got his card when he turned 18 last month.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby BBadger » Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Snow wrote:Thanks piney for explainin it to those who don't read before posting.

Damn, i was pulling for this one! And I don't mean pulling like jkisha, maybe we should've tried a bit more of that. Its a touchy subject for those of us with spinning kids. Does this mean the age is going to go to 21? Hopefully not, K just got his card when he turned 18 last month.

That's okay, at he can still shoot fire for Uncle Sam, even if he can't spin it.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby DB Cooper » Sat May 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Kinetic V wrote:But that being said instead of banks and oil companies, it's mining interests at the state level that influences everything in Nevada. Hell they want to reopen the Comstock Lode to pit mining and almost got it done under people's noses until the stench of the questionable cash flowing past got people's attention. Now it's like not so fast, this ain't gonna happen this way.
They? who is they? a local VC mining company run by local VC citizens want to utilize resources that are theirs?! How dare "they." But I guess someone in Las Vegas would know what's best for Virginia City residents. This isn't Barrick, Newmont or Kennecott, its a small local start up company being built from the ground up. We can't all make a living walking around town in western costumes to pose for pictures you know.

Under the people's noses? Please explain your accusations!!!!! Everything was done in accordance with Federal, State and local laws. No big secret things going on here, just locals that hold mining claims that now want to use them to boost the local economy and jobs, including mine! Please look elsewhere for your hyperbole and conspiracy theories. I sure wish we had all this cash to throw around as you allude, where is it? Keep your NIMBY nose in YOUR own backyard.
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Postby Kinetik V » Sat May 28, 2011 8:11 pm

My backyard is now the State of Nevada and I will stick my nose anywhere I damn well please and support any issue I think I can make a difference on. This one caught my attention as I'm all for seeing what else is in the lode...but using an open pit to do it is where I had my hangup. As long as they have a solid plan to remediate things after their done...my objections go away and I'm in the group of the curious...can they make another strike? If they can and they can do it without raping the environment for 100 years after their done then go for it...and if it's as big of a strike as I think it will be then let share what is found and learned with science so more benefit. Not everything of value is in mineral form out there....

Touching on your other points, it is widely accepted that N.R.S. and the Nevada tax code is biased towards the mining industry...which is to be expected considering it's history. And just because something was done in compliance with the law doesn't always make it right. I don't want to stand in the way of anyone making a living...far from it. But if it's worth doing, do it right, and don't leave behind an EPA Superfund site that my great grandkids have to fund with their taxes to pay for. I don't think that's asking too much. Have your gold and silver...but use the latest methods of extraction and if you gotta do the pit remediate like the Wyoming Powder River basin people are doing with their coal mines. It can be done responsibly.

And if this thing is the bonanza that they think it is...it means more tax revenue for the transportation projects I'm interested in...cause at the end of the day my focus is transit and transportation issues above all else.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat May 28, 2011 8:36 pm

K-V ((Hugs, by the way, it's been a while)), ya know I respect you and agree to some extent in your point.... Just remember, in Nevada, a lot of politics are local (and in a lot of respects, I like it that way).

As long as it's not a disaster (and Elko has proven to be fairly clean), I think it's good for the locals.....

OK, now what does this have to do about Fire Performers?????... 8)
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Kinetik V » Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Well...I wasn't aware of the issues for Fire Performers but I can bring 15+ years of lobbying experience to the table to help the cause...the key will be to educate myself on the issue and see where / if I can be effective.

And yeah, Nevada politics sure ain't like Missouri or Nebraska.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby DB Cooper » Sat May 28, 2011 10:22 pm

TITWI you are correct this has nothing to do with fire performers, I have no idea why he brought up mining to begin with. But I can't let slander like that go unanswered

Kenetic, based upon your posts it's quite clear you have a lot of learning to do about modern mining practices/methods, remediation vs reclamation, environmental law, environmental bonding, closure plans as well as much of the technical aspects of deposits and what we "know." In fact until you're more educated its not really worth arguing as you're just having uninformed knee jerk reactions. And as I suspected your innuendo about dirty money has no foundation in reality.

If you truly are concerned, there have been and are scheduled many public meetings both locally and at the state level regarding Comstock mining projects, you are more than welcome to attend. But, please know what you are talking about before making any comments. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you more, but this is not the proper venue.

Just know that, I, personally am one that oversees that mines adhere to environmental laws. And this one is particularly close to home as its NEXT DOOR and affects the water I and my family drink and the air we breath. Trust me I love Nevada and our precious open and beautiful spaces, I want to see that retained as much as anyone, maybe even more. And obviously I'm passionate about this subject.

Don't worry it won't be open to raping the earth for the next hundred years like roads and their carbon spewing vehicles.

And yes NV has its own particular way of doing business.
DB Cooper

Postby Kinetik V » Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 pm

I freely admit mining is not an area of expertise...transportation issues are. If it hadn't been for a discussion I had with a friend at the Las Vegas Sun the mining project wouldn't have made it on to my radar. But now that you've piqued my interest I may have to take a closer look.

If you're willing to move from looking at my comments as slanderous and are interested in education and have resources you can point me towards (that is if you have the time to do so), you know how to PM. Again...don't look at this as an argument...look at this as an opportunity to get an ally on your side.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby DB Cooper » Sat May 28, 2011 10:37 pm

:)

I'll PM you some info at some point. As a start, are you interested more about this particular project or mining in general, a bit of both?
DB Cooper

Postby mdmf007 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Dont worry DB - we do not have a hundred years of oil left to spew out.

a topic I DO no well.

I have a house in Winnemucca - Wnny to the locals. without Newmont, or the other operators Winnemucca would be a crossroads with a gas station.

Some of the largest mines on Earth are in Northern Nevada, and its done well.

But back to the topic at hand - lets chat about the fire performers, and the bill. Were trying to keep threads a little closer to topic.

later.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby DB Cooper » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 pm

There isn't really much more to talk about on the bill or Controlled Burn, other than they are awesome and everyone should make an effort to attend this years Compression (a celebration of art and fire), its a piece of the playa sliced off and sanitized to give a taste of BM to downtown reno.

http://compression.controlledburnreno.com/

Also last years installation "Spire of Fire" will be installed in all its glory in downtown reno with fire spinners performing there regularly throughout the summer (if summer ever gets here).
DB Cooper

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun May 29, 2011 12:49 am

and that will be every tuesday, through July, at the Spire of Fire.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Kinetik V » Sun May 29, 2011 10:41 am

DB Cooper wrote::)

I'll PM you some info at some point. As a start, are you interested more about this particular project or mining in general, a bit of both?

This particular project as it's Nevada specific is what I am interested in. Anything broader than that I have to pass on as I just don't have the bandwidth for it.
Kinetik V

Postby pinemom » Mon May 30, 2011 8:02 am

Just an update....
It did pass.

but its still got our underage performers locked down tight!

sucks, fire balls.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby EspressoDude » Mon May 30, 2011 8:32 am

One thing about government and politics; things are always being changed.

Otherwise there would be no nothing for politicians to do, and they would be un-necessary..

So, Piney, start a group of fire performers getting elected and change it back!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Snow » Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 am

18 is MUCH better than 21, but time now to lobby and amend the age number! Perhaps we should do a CA show(s) with the kids?
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Return to 2011 Art & Performance