BRC slutwalk?

BRC slutwalk?

Postby havoc » Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 am

my google-fu returned no relevant results, so i figured i'd ask here...does anyone know if there is a slutwalk planned for BRC?

wondering if it would be a neat thing to do...marching around to the big sex-positive camps and then walking out to the man. thoughts?

(for those not familiar w/the concept: http://www.slutwalktoronto.com)

-havoc
havoc

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 12, 2011 7:21 am

I wouldn't do it. Nothing wrong with being sex positive, or having some sort of anti-rape activism happen, just didn't care for this particular method. I'm not a slut, and I don't see any need to "take back" a word, when it's the context that needs to be addressed, not the semantics. Although, the quibble here is with semantics...let me let Twisty 'splain better - while I ruin your thread :? - sorry! Ish.

That "slutwalk" back in April was

[i]"...protesting the reification by law enforcement of the bogus cultural construct “slut.â€
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am

C.f.M. wrote:I'd get in touch with B.E.D., too. They might be thinking about doing something similar - and they have a lot of resources you could incorporate into your parade.

[url=http://www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org/]B.E.D. doesn't really have anything planned for this year, besides potty posters, buttons and maybe the "Bedtent."
Playshops are not planned because the 3 or 4 people who were doing them (since 2006) have (not surprisingly) burnt out. This could mean it's a fantastic time for some new blood to come to the fore and start doing other things.[/url]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu May 12, 2011 9:04 am

For the same reasons, I am on the fence about even having the Critical Dicks march this year, just getting burned out(plus I can't think of anything new to wear)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby havoc » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I'd get in touch with B.E.D., too. They might be thinking about doing something similar - and they have a lot of resources you could incorporate into your parade.

[url=http://www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org/]B.E.D. doesn't really have anything planned for this year, besides potty posters, buttons and maybe the "Bedtent."
Playshops are not planned because the 3 or 4 people who were doing them (since 2006) have (not surprisingly) burnt out. This could mean it's a fantastic time for some new blood to come to the fore and start doing other things.[/url]

interesting. i do already have a few things planned for our camp...my sweetie and i are planning on doing a few BDSM 101 workshops (i kind of did an impromptu one with our neighbors last year and it turned out to be really fun), and i'm planning on teaching some "yoga for sex" and "yoga for kink" classes. nothing so structured as BED had/has, but you know...sex-positive and fun!

i think i will scrap the slutwalk idea though...CfM's sentiment is likely fairly common and i'd rather whatever sex-positive stuff i organize be about empowerment and not fostering more conflict. just kind of curious what people's thoughts and feelings on it might be and i feel like i got an answer. :)
havoc

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 am

havoc wrote:interesting. i do already have a few things planned for our camp...my sweetie and i are planning on doing a few BDSM 101 workshops (i kind of did an impromptu one with our neighbors last year and it turned out to be really fun), and i'm planning on teaching some "yoga for sex" and "yoga for kink" classes. nothing so structured as BED had/has, but you know...sex-positive and fun!

That's more like it! Interactive, not inyourface. Discourse not intercourse! No, wait...yoga for kink, eh? Sounds interesting. In my head someone's in downward dog...chained up like one. :wink:

ETA: If there's already some sex stuff planned, adding a few minutes with the B.E.D. stuff could be easily incorporated.
C.f.M.

Postby havoc » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 am

C.f.M. wrote:...yoga for kink, eh? Sounds interesting. In my head someone's in downward dog...chained up like one. :wink:

yoga is fabulous for various forms of kink. i find rope suspension in particular to be quite a bit like practicing yoga, but it works for lots of flavors: meditation and breathing can help take you deeper into sub/dom space more quickly, vinyasa can help with stamina, and increased flexibility allows for more erm...imaginative positions. whenever i finish a class, i'm always raring to go...yay endorphins! :)
havoc

Postby C.f.M. » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am

havoc wrote:, i'm always raring to go...

Slut. 8)
C.f.M.

Postby graidawg » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 am

After many years i feel slightly guilty that my sexual tastes tend towards the vanilla, I've tried to be a card carrying pervert, full of kinks and fetishes but to date none really get me going as 'normal' sex with the girl i'm with and if i love her its better, so slut? confine that word to the bin. lets not continue pigeonholing ourselves as we are trained to do lets just do what we like, when we want to, with whoever we want to do it* and if someone calls us a slut or a pervert or whatever tell them to read about kinsey or just STFU.

*obviously only concensually (animals and children can't consent)(nor can drunks)

however the yoga thing appeals to me and i will look that up whne i get home
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Trishntek » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 am

We are toying with possible demonstrations/workshops at our camp. So far, we are only sure about violet wands on Wednesday. We've discussed incorporating some B.E.D. information availability, but not a specific work shop.

To be honest, we are primarily there to escape seriousness and issues of the day. We are "FROLIC" kinda folks afterall!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby havoc » Thu May 12, 2011 11:21 am

C.f.M. wrote:Slut. 8)

hahah, happily guilty as charged. :D

graidawg wrote:After many years i feel slightly guilty that my sexual tastes tend towards the vanilla

my statement for all things sex related: i don't yuck anyone else's yum. (with exceptions, as you mentioned, for non-consent.) vanilla is great, especially if it's based on good self awareness! :)
havoc

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I am NOT a slut, and I resent any accusations otherwise!
Ugly Dougly

Postby delle » Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Think they'd give me a "slut" badge to sport with my "hottie" one?

I'd be down with that!!
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby C187 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Is it bad that every time I hear the word slut I automatically associate it with Poly, and that one book it seems everyone is/has read at poly munches?

delle wrote:Think they'd give me a "slut" badge to sport with my "hottie" one?

Maybe.. But I have a feeling that Nate and I will need to give an extra long B.E.D. Talk to the camp this year. *ponders* Maybe we should pull people out of the audience for the good touch vs. bad touch, and fucking ask first even for a god damn hug portion of the talk.
C187

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Thu May 12, 2011 2:41 pm

But I have a feeling that Nate and I will need to give an extra long B.E.D. Talk to the camp this year.

I love theatre! I mean, education. I love education!

I'm hoping this happens, quite seriously. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dr.placebo » Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm

My take on both the Ethical Slut (also used for a BED button slogan) and SlutWalk usage is that they represent an effort to take over a negative word with a positive spin. It should be OK to say that one is open to more than one sexual partner, frankly. And is should be just as OK for women as it is for men (oddly enough, "stud" is the closest male equivalent).

One question I have, based on reading these responses, is whether it is the right time and place to pull this off. It seems to work for "queer", but not yet for other forbidden words, which retain their general poison even if they can be used among members of the identified group. I'm not in one of those groups, so I don't feel that I get to decide.

I am, though, a proud Geek and Nerd.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 12, 2011 8:55 pm

I dunno, dr. placebo, I remember having an on line conversation (I think it was here, but it could have been on tribe.net) when I was advocating and my conversational partner didn't like it and brought up the schoolyard. I don't think we came to any sort of resolution, but since I'm from the bay area and have an affection for certain aspects of gay life, it worked for me as an umbrella term that was inclusive for me. But it still cuts others to the bone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Trishntek » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Can someone be "SLUTTY" without being a slut? Or can somebody be a slut and still be ummmmm particular. Not sure that is the word I seek. I tend to use the word loosely,,,, even called ygmir a slut once. To me it is more of an attitude than a "what you are" kind of thing.

Not being one for labels, I contend anyone can do things and participate in activities and lifestyles without necessarily becoming any of those things.

Having said that, someone without shame and willing to do whatever whenever is probably a slut by definition.

I fit that definition pretty well. Trish is my conscience and keeps me out of trouble. She is oddly entertained and accuses me of being my own entertainment center.
Trishntek

Postby havoc » Fri May 13, 2011 5:51 am

Trishntek wrote:Can someone be "SLUTTY" without being a slut? Or can somebody be a slut and still be ummmmm particular. Not sure that is the word I seek.

i'm kind of fond of the word skank for some reason...not sure why. i feel like there's more sex and less vitriol implicit in it, but that's all personal preference of course...YMMV.
havoc

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 13, 2011 7:38 am

Trishntek wrote:
Having said that, someone without shame and willing to do whatever whenever is probably a slut by definition.

NO, That's a burner
unjonharley

Postby Trishntek » Fri May 13, 2011 8:24 am

unjonharley wrote:
Trishntek wrote:

NO, That's a burner

I stand corrected!
Trishntek

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 13, 2011 9:29 am

dr.placebo wrote:...a BED button...

Hmmm... :roll:
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 am

havoc wrote:
Trishntek wrote:Can someone be "SLUTTY" without being a slut? Or can somebody be a slut and still be ummmmm particular. Not sure that is the word I seek.

i'm kind of fond of the word skank for some reason...not sure why. i feel like there's more sex and less vitriol implicit in it, but that's all personal preference of course...YMMV.

My milage does vary in this case. The word "skank" seems not only to pin her with sexual adventurism, but also a lack of "intimate cleanliness" that almost implies pre-cancerous. Or maybe just skanker sores. In either case, not appetising.
The other I have no problem saying that it's just the patriarchy trying to control a woman's sexuality. At times I forget the charge that it has in the larger culture.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby delle » Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 am

Lmao @ "skanker sores". Never heard that one before.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am

delle wrote:Lmao @ "skanker sores". Never heard that one before.

Not surprising as it just came to me. But that is what I hear in the term.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Fri May 13, 2011 10:47 am

Skank, as far as I've ever heard/read it, was worse than slut. A slut might be indiscriminately promiscuous, but a skank is doing it on purpose and will steal your boyfriend. A slut is just slutty and not necessarily disliked, but a skank is worse...
C.f.M.

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 13, 2011 10:50 am

/

Had some family friends named Skank.. He changed his name and she got married right out of high school.. The father run off somewhere .. The mother kept the name.. She was a mean uptight school teacher..

I had a teacher named Gaser.. Another named Perce Seaman.. And I was a mean kid.. Gaser drank on the job.. Seaman left in the middle of the year.. All 8 grades in a one room school house..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 13, 2011 10:55 am

delle wrote:Lmao @ "skanker sores". Never heard that one before.

I believe that is shanker sore or shankroid
.. Which is the first signs of the std sif (can't spell it.. I my day skank ment unclean smelly and so on..
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 am

Plenty of wiggle room I hope.
One can be - I suppose? - a total slut with one person but tight as a clam with another.
Ugly Dougly

Postby dr.placebo » Fri May 13, 2011 12:03 pm

I suppose that since the word "fuck" has so many uses, both positive and negative, that we should not be surprised that "slut" has a similar range of connotations. Our cultural ambivalence towards sex really screws up the language, so to speak.

The use of "Ethical Slut" on the BED button was decided by vote of BED members. It was intended as a reference to the book, and was a fairly popular button.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance