SKYDANCE formal request for professional aerial-performances

SKYDANCE formal request for professional aerial-performances

Postby skydance » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Greetings Citizens.
I come to you with a request.
This request comes from a group of top level aerobatic/acrobatic performers looking to gain assistance, interest, and mostly opinion on the groups desire to perform for the community in our specific way.

Some of the hemispheres TOP rated pilots desire interest in performing during the week of events.
Some desires include an aerobatic "lightshow" at night aswell as day operations. The craft of choice range, but primary desire is of professional paragliding performances, skydiving, base jumping, balloon jumping, paragliding aerobatics and general aviation.

We have the desire to dance, together, in the sky.

we are hoping for a private area to launch and land flight crews(private meaning safe location near people :D ) and also desire adoption by a camp of aviators or anyone interested.
we will appreciate all responses, opinions, suggestions and direction.

we very much hope to be with you this year, on the ground and in the air.

Bless
-SKYDANCE-
it doesn't matter who came up with the idea, but only the fact that it came up at all.
skydance

Postby rodiponer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Sounds cool. The airport (88NV) is closed at night, so to do night performances you may have to stage them from the airport at Winnemucca.

I've flown at the event and think the random dust swirls and darkwads (some of them with bikes!) would make a night jump very scary, even in good weather. I think there was some discussing of skydiving to the base of the man at night, but that hinged on people on the ground clearing a big perimeter for them to land.

The folks who run the airport would probably be the best place to start:

Mandatory reading: http://www.portofentry.org/
General airport info: http://burningman.com/on_the_playa/airport/
List info and unsubscribe: https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/li ... ators-list
rodiponer

Cheers

Postby skydance » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Thank you much for the response.

Our desires are to set up a temporary airfield, and for night ops utilizing glowsticks, chemlights and similar lighting for marking safe areas.

Although weather is typically the first calculation in any aerial activity, it would be dependant upon decent conditions.

Although skydivers may choose not to jump in windy conditions, some of the paragliders in the group would prefer to fly those conditions.

Cheers for the links and directional suggestions.

-great stuff m8.

appreciate the heads up.
it doesn't matter who came up with the idea, but only the fact that it came up at all.
skydance

Postby skydance » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:21 pm

lol how do i delete a post?
you've helped much, information overload is a ***$
skydance

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

You can't remove a post.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You can't remove a post.

much to the chagrin on MDMF007 and rebi........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:13 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You can't remove a post.

much to the chagrin on MDMF007 and rebi........

STOP POSTING SO MUCH!!
lonestoner916

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm

rodiponer wrote:I've flown at the event and think the random dust swirls and darkwads (some of them with bikes!) would make a night jump very scary, even in good weather.

There are definitely night jumps out there (and they get reported as "UFO's exist- I really saw one!!" every year). I have no idea how they deal with launch or landing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tVIrAGvTV0[/youtube]
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm fairly sure that they must fly in from elsewhere. I think the spaceport is only open from dawn or early morning until about 10 am. Apparently, after that it's too windy and treacherous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby rawxtir » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 am

:?
[color=darkred][/color][b]... THE LONESTONER'S ON EPLAYA!!!!!! HELLS YEAH! WUDDUP KID?!

so once upon time there was a burning man. it was a couple of years ago, maybe 08 or 09 and I was having a great middle of the day frolic with a cute little aerialist in her structure when all of a sudden there was "frantic energy" (her words not mine) and commotion noises, the type rarely heard out there. and a couple of screams. next thing you know part of a parachute falls in to , or blows in to our area. didn't look good and it wasn't. luckily the jumper got away with only a busted leg and some serious scratches. .....

that being said one of the regulars in jump art out there told me to tell the "skydancer" this.... there is a community that already does a lot of that and refer him to the burningsky.org website and the black rock airport group. Generally, the airport ops people coordinate all flight ops and our burningsky gang works with them to do our jump operations.

[/b]
".... and one more thing"
rawxtir

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

rawxtir wrote::? ... THE LONESTONER'S ON EPLAYA!!!!!! HELLS YEAH! WUDDUP KID?!

rawxtir- enable "bbs" & "smilies" in your profile & your code will show up correctly.

The words you want colored or bold or whatever need to be between the tags= (color=darkred)text(/color)- you need to use brackets [ ] not parenthesis ( )
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lonestoner916 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:26 pm

[/quote]THE LONESTONER'S ON EPLAYA!!!!!! HELLS YEAH! WUDDUP KID?!

ePlaya regular since 2007! Nice to see ya on here Z!
lonestoner916

Postby skydance » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 am

This is more then a skydive more then a jump. Jumpers spend 5 mins flying to the ground and begin a 270 swoop at like 8 to 1000 feet depending if they are on high performance canopies and cross braced stuff.
But when you use the air to fly , to stay up, you do it for more then 2 hours daily 275 days a year it takes on a bit more reality of what your doing

No lonely stoners either. Drugs only relAtion to flying is the mix with poor decisions.

It's like if your job is a pilot and it's essentially your responsibility to consider the factors and no matter what the wheels are going Down on the centerline and the numbers. There is no room for mistake when lives depend and especially yours; your not afraid to die but you yearn to do it again.

Skydiving canopies are notorious for being flying pieces of crap and frankly when your aspect ratio is 5 times that of a fold up life saving device that refuses to deflate upOn stalling and is designed to catch air versus repel it, and combined with a lack of airtime and fundament focus on freefall, and 40,000 people to pretend your cool infront of, its all the requirements for poor decision making and accident prone jumpers failing to consider the two most important things.

Not to mention I'm aware of what your talking about, the guy epic failed A down winder.

Question: how many skydives does it take to equivilate A cross country pAragliding flight?

Answer: too many.

Appreciate the concern but that's like a unskilled surfer going Out at jaws on a 40+ day(hawaiin)

Sure that's the nature of the beast, you let anyone do it. But it goes beyond that when it's simply what you do that pays the bills. You make a impulse decision and fuck yourself up your sol as far as income.

Not to mentiion if the conditions don't permit they don't permit. You wouldn't even know we are there .
Also the landing speed is like 10mph vs double or tripple or quadruplle

Anyways it's been handled
Don't know why you can't delete topics here, seems ahem...special

[quote="rawxtir"]:?
[color=darkred][/color][b]... THE LONESTONER'S ON EPLAYA!!!!!! HELLS YEAH! WUDDUP KID?!

so once upon time there was a burning man. it was a couple of years ago, maybe 08 or 09 and I was having a great middle of the day frolic with a cute little aerialist in her structure when all of a sudden there was "frantic energy" (her words not mine) and commotion noises, the type rarely heard out there. and a couple of screams. next thing you know part of a parachute falls in to , or blows in to our area. didn't look good and it wasn't. luckily the jumper got away with only a busted leg and some serious scratches. .....

that being said one of the regulars in jump art out there told me to tell the "skydancer" this.... there is a community that already does a lot of that and refer him to the burningsky.org website and the black rock airport group. Generally, the airport ops people coordinate all flight ops and our burningsky gang works with them to do our jump operations.

[/b][/quote]
skydance

Postby Isotopia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:27 pm

I'd suggest that rather than having to wade through speculation and generally bad advice from this crowd that you contact the ORG directly. They'll put you in touch with someone who can rightfully answer your questions.
Isotopia

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 pm

If you don't already know any pilots who fly into BRC, or the airport manager, I'd suggest you fuck off and fall into some other wilderness.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:30 pm

I know you are excited about this.

Start with Lissa Shoun, Tigertiger, experienced skydiver, who is responsible for the airport and reachable through the published contacts people have listed.

The closer you are in person to the SF Bay Area for in person discussions, the better. What you are proposing touches on a lot of moving parts within Burningman and may take a lot more energy than you expect to be successful, so start early.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Return to 2011 Art & Performance