Do I need a press pass??

Do I need a press pass??

Postby iowamedic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 am

I am planning on taking photographs while at burning man this year and will be putting them on my personal blog in a slide show. Since they will be on a personal website do I need to submit info as if I were a member of the press??
~Evan~
~www.EvanSara.com~
iowamedic

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:59 am

From the Burning Man "Press" page:
Burning Man is a private event held on public land. Because of this, all professional media—which includes both still and moving image photographers-- are required to sign professional use agreements once a project has been reviewed and approved by the Burning Man Media Team.

You don't need to do this with a still camera for personal use, and you can bet a lot of those video's you see on You Tube didn't have one. They may come after you if you try to make money off the images, they will definitely come after you if you try a "Girls Gone Wild" type of thing.

This comes up every year, but I'm too lazy to look up the old threads right now, so here's a basic thing to remember:

ASK before taking any picture of a person- male, female, young, old, costumed or naked... doesn't matter. If they're the subject of your shot, ask them. If they say no, respect them. There are plenty of other people to photograph.

Most people won't care and will pose willingly. I've had a couple of people say no to pictures, we have a nice chat, I move on.

If you're getting a crowd shot, not so much a worry.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby iowamedic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 am

Eric,

Thanks for the info...again!! There will be no money made here.. just going on my personal blog for everyone to see!

... and no girls gone wild stuff either!
~Evan~
~www.EvanSara.com~
iowamedic

Return to 2011 Art & Performance