Help Needed for Body Scarification Rite

Postby KinestheticThought » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 pm

I would also appreciate the addition of hand-drummers (if any are interested).

SomeSeeingEye:
Thank you for your concern. I'm actually fairly well-versed on playa (and other Nevada dirt/dust samples) consistency, but appreciate your concern.

I agree, the Black Rock Volunteer ESD team is/are excellent...though I seek to interact with them around the campfire rather than as a patient (seeking radical self reliance, prepardness, and the assistance of friends/the community so that I won't have to involve emergency services in a pre-planned rite/ritual).

For others who are interested in the playa's composition, I found this website useful: http://www.foresight.org/Conferences/MN ... /Gillett1/

Thanks again SomeSeeingEye, have a great experience out there on the playa. :-)

Kinetic V:
You wrote that you, "think that the people who seek these sorts of things out usually have a good idea what they're getting into." Thanks...I try to balance knowing what I'm doing with being open to suggestions from people who have more experience in this area than myself.

You mentioned that (if you are able to make it to BRC this year), that such a ritual would be of great interest to you. Are you interested in helping in some way, or would you prefer to lend your support from a distance?

Yes, many seem to have forgotten about radical self reliance. As you put it, "Many consider it a dead idea...but a few still believe in it." That said, I do plan to be prepared.

Thanks for the suggestion for super glue and hydrogen peroxide, both could be extremely helpful and were not yet on my list. I had considered both important, but somehow they had not yet made the list. Both items have now been successfully added to my list, thanks.

MyDearFriend:
Thanks for adding "gorilla tape" to my list (had duct tape, several forms of medical tape, and paper-tape on my list...but did not yet have "gorilla tape"). I will almost certainly bring a variety of glues (ie regular super glue, second skin-which I think is what you are referencing regarding a fast-drying glue that is designed for use over cuts/abrasions/etc, and anything I can get from friends in the medical industry), and tend to agree with you when it comes to hydrogen peroxide (I will still bring it in case of infection, but it will certainly not be my first line of defense...)

I most certainly plan to utilize soap (no fragerance or other additives, just plain regular soap) and water as my primary method for caring for the wounds (though I also plan to bring a substantial first aide kit, complete with a wide variety of creames, honey, bandages, syran wrap, etc...).

I also appreciate the endorsement of urine. It may not be pleasant, it might be taboo...but you are right that it is one of the most versitile first aide options (from jellyfish to helping to prevent/cure infections) and is something you always have with you! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definately keep it in mind.

Ugly Dougly:
While my rite/ritual is more closely related to the crocodile scarifications of Pappa New Guinea (for example http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/177 ... review.jpg ), I am also aware of other tribal cultures participating in flesh-based rituals (such as the Sundance/Sun Dance).

I do not mean any disrespect to any of these cultures, and seek to ensure that my rite/ritual is unique (for example while it will include elements of traditional scarification rites/ceremonies, I do not seek to copy them but instead to ask for support from the BRC community in creating my own sacred rite/ritual/moment....).

By the way, your copy/paste came from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dance not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_shamans

Thanks for the comment.

KinestheticThought

Postby chelzuppan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 am

Several of my friends and i were branded last year. i did it on sunday and with a clean envornment, as close as it gets at least. No dust storms. Glove and sanitized also with a bandage after i had a metal rod about 3 inch diameter brand a man on my leg. It was not bad at all. your nerves fry and you will be able to walk and drive home. This was a branding stick, like for cows so of course it did not come out perfectly but the experince is something i will never let go of.
Just remember and hot items do sanitize their selves compared to getting a tattoo and also remember that if you decide to brand it is a major healing period. i did not have skin on the brand for 3 months and it will not fully heal for one year and skin fully healed in three years.
Suspension. There are some exhibits out there usually they use particular people who have either been in contact with them ahead of time or people that are well experienced.
I am currently liked up for such matter but i will not kno until the day come whether or not it will happen. Nothing on the playa is for sure.
chelzuppan

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:01 am

I would also practice dressing burns so you can do a neat, sanitary job on playa.

Second skin is great for burns, but needs protection itself to keep from drying out.

Branding isnt for me, but id love to check it out.

MDMF
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 pm

You'll be fine. It should be a memorable event for all involved.
Ugly Dougly

Postby KinestheticThought » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Ugly Dougly:
Thank you very much for the support.

I'm sure things will be fine, I just need to find the right people to participate/assist.

Mdmf007:
I actually have a fairly substantial background in wound care, bandaging, and general emergency care. The issue is going to be that I will not be able to see/reach some of my wounds and will therefore need someone else with such experience to be able to take care of the wounds I can't reach.

Personally I wouldn't use second skin/liquid bandage on a burn. As you said, it can be problematic when it dries (and I don't see any real benefit for putting it on a burn). However, I plan to bring a variety of glues (including liquid bandage) in case I need to glue some of the cuts shut (in the past I've used band-aides cut into strips for use as steri strips in combination with super glue in lieu of stitches).

My personal preference for burn care is actually egg (I know, it sounds crazy, but I'm a fire performer and someone recomended it to me after receiving a small but open, blistered, burn during rehersal...I tried it and it was absolutely amazing!!!)

Originally I was not at all interested in branding and wanted my rite/ritual to be based solely on cutting (I had thought that branding just wasn't my thing...as a fire performer I'm usually trying to avoid burning myself or anyone else, lol)...but recently I received a long thin burn (from the metal surrounding a fire place) and it has caused me to consider being branded as well.

At this point I will neither commit to being branded nor rule out the possibility...but I do wish to find a committed team to assist with the cutting portion of this ritual regardless of my decision to/not to be branded.

Thank you very much for your support. I look forward to seeing you on the playa!

Chelzuppan,
Thank you for sharing regarding your branding.

I understand that getting a brand will/would be a major committment (as you said, the healing time on a brand can be excrutiatingly slow). I have not yet decided whether or not I will include branding as a portion of my rite/ritual (partially based on the excessively long healing times, among other reasons).

Regarding suspension, I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to participate in bodily suspension (being suspended by ropes sounds doable, but not suspended by hooks in my flesh). However, I support people who do choose to venture into such areas (just as I ask that the community supports me with my cutting/scarification ritual, I would like to be supportive of people who wish to engage in such suspensions).

Congratulations on your branding...I hope that your suspension is as positive for you as your branding seems to have been (if you do it, as you said, nothing's for sure on the playa...).

Best wishes!!!
KinestheticThought

Postby mdmf007 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 am

I have heard the egg thing but fear the risk of salmonella is too high in my opinion.
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Reply to Mdmf007

Postby KinestheticThought » Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 am

All medications come with risks (for example, most people are unaware that thousands of people die each year from OTC medications like advil).

According to the CDC, the risk for salmonella in eggs is about one in 20,000 (see http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfb ... idis/#risk ). ...plus there are ways (such as washing the eggshell prior to use, adaquate refrigeration, etc) to help reduce your risk.

Personally I'd rather accept the risk and have my burn(s) treated than to absolutely/definately suffer from not having it treated (or having it treated with something inferior to egg).

Chance of salmonella= 1/20,000=.00005=.005% chance of getting an egg that has been contaminated (then the risk of actually getting salmonella from it is further reduced through washing, adaquate refrigeration, a strong immune system, pasteurized eggs if you feel the need, etc...), whereas the chance of a burn getting worse without treatment is pretty high (as is the risk of higher levels of pain).

Of course for less serious burns I just use ice and don't use any type of ointment/medication/etc. ...but for burns that require treatment, I would much rather reach for an egg than a prescription (or OTC) medication.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate the comment/concern.

Best Wishes!!!
KinestheticThought

Previous

Return to 2011 Art & Performance