http://temple2011.org/gallery/images.html

Concept:
http://temple2011.org/?page_id=79
SFbrothermichael

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 am

Nice
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 2011: The Temples

Postby dubovitch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am

[quote="SFbrothermichael"]Here is the design for this year's temple:
http://temple2011.org/gallery/images.html

height: 120' !!!
dubovitch

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Not to down play any of the other amazing temples that have been built, but this is the coolest temple ever
Ogdenhousedj

Postby MisaBlue » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Amazing!!!
MisaBlue

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:35 pm

It's got a cathedral-y vibe going on...
Nothing wrong with that, I am just sayin'.
Pews too?

It's cool!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby hookahdude » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Wow...

Just..

Wow...
hookahdude

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

What a piece of work. Beautifully anchored, welcoming and lifting us...

*sigh*

How many more days is it?

Can I possibly be ready for this?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 pm

More overfunded oversized religious crap somebody else will have to clean up. Hope you're proud.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby fbcota » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 pm

That's pretty amazing. I hope you are proud, you are making what I can only describe as a stunning piece of Structural Art. It really looks like light will move through the Temple in allot of really cool ways. Should be amazing during a dust storm.

Yay for overfunded oversized religious crap! You have my full non-believer support.
fbcota

Postby gaminwench » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 pm

spiritual and religious are not the same thing...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Mr. Lubey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 pm

I bet it will burn good too
Mr. Lubey

Postby Minxy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:03 am

So gorgeous. I can't WAIT to see it.

I predict I'll be spending many hours contemplating in that temple. I'll find a corner and call it home. It looks like such a lovely place to spend time in.
Minxy

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 am

Religion= preachy,conformed and manipulitive

Spiritual= Natural, beautiful and uplifting
Ogdenhousedj

Postby Dustdevil » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 am

Mr. Lubey wrote:I bet it will burn good too

I know it is going to burn good!
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:07 am

Ogdenhousedj wrote:Religion= preachy,conformed and manipulitive

my religion is neither preachy, conformed or manipulitive its mine and you cant have it though go find your own!

spiritual natural, beautiful and uplifting? hahahahahaha its vague unformed and usually just a bunch of drivel from middle aged women and emo's who cant be bothered to find soemthing that actually means something, that want to be able to stand in a feild and pray to some non specific entity hoping for something good to happen. usually the lazy fucks want someone else to do the homework and they can turn up light a candle they bought from there local spiritual shop burn some incence they got from an authentic indian head shop smoke some weed or do drugs 'coz it will open my mind man. the just go oo i can feel the sprits
fuck off with that random fucking new age bullshit if you want to be spiritual actuall get organized find something that means something do something that can be repeated, or just go to stonehenge for the solstice like all the other newage spiritual bullshit mongers and feel part of something bigger than yourself for no effort!

not that i have anything against spiritual beleifs i just think its a vague attempt a religion without having to put any effort in, go talk to people who do believe in god, be they christians,jews muslims or fucking scientologists - they have to put effort in to believe which is why there are so many fucking limp spiritualists out there it takes no fucking effort

pah!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:33 am

graidawg wrote:
Ogdenhousedj wrote:Religion= preachy,conformed and manipulitive

my religion is neither preachy, conformed or manipulitive its mine and you cant have it though go find your own!

spiritual natural, beautiful and uplifting? hahahahahaha its vague unformed and usually just a bunch of drivel from middle aged women and emo's who cant be bothered to find soemthing that actually means something, that want to be able to stand in a feild and pray to some non specific entity hoping for something good to happen. usually the lazy fucks want someone else to do the homework and they can turn up light a candle they bought from there local spiritual shop burn some incence they got from an authentic indian head shop smoke some weed or do drugs 'coz it will open my mind man. the just go oo i can feel the sprits
fuck off with that random fucking new age bullshit if you want to be spiritual actuall get organized find something that means something do something that can be repeated, or just go to stonehenge for the solstice like all the other newage spiritual bullshit mongers and feel part of something bigger than yourself for no effort!

not that i have anything against spiritual beleifs i just think its a vague attempt a religion without having to put any effort in, go talk to people who do believe in god, be they christians,jews muslims or fucking scientologists - they have to put effort in to believe which is why there are so many fucking limp spiritualists out there it takes no fucking effort

pah!

:shock: GD are you feeling okay buddy?

I am with you though on the effort thing, I have long felt that the only "prayers" worth anything are the ones involving hands and feet; making and giving, at some sacrifice, with no expectation of reciprocity. That's a real prayer. The effects of words and thoughts, though real, are quite limited. And while I'm sure meditation can be helpful to some, I must say that the few times I have seen the veil pierced my mind has been sharply focused on the task in front of me. YMMV, of course.

The best thing about this Temple, for me, is that it is ephemeral. My problem with sacred structures is that as people bring their troubles to them :) they become steeped in suffering, and for folks like me for whom emotions are contagious, well :( they can be quite painful to visit. I want to see this Temple when it is empty and new 8) and, at the end of the week, to watch all the unhappiness it has collected go up in smoke.

Thank you, Brother Michael.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:02 am

hi my dear friend yea i'm good i just felt like venting this morning and well this thread was the target. I like people who are religious or spiritual tbh, i just get wound when people stereotype. I used to have raging arguements with a friend whoes favorite phrase was "i hate christians" because he was a pagan. He never did anything pagan no rituals, rites or anything as far as i am aware he never sacrificed a child or goat or did anything in anyway pagan. So he could have called himself a lapsed squidologist for all the difference it made. but boy did he hate christians because they where responsible for all the evil in the world.
I've had long in depth discussions with people from all sort of religions and found one thing to be true, the ones who actively pursue there religion whzatever it is, are doers and most people who say they are spiritual buy it ready packaged from a shop, have never read a religious book in there life and think being spiritual is some way of being a better person.
FUCK THAT

go in a church or synagogue or something talk to the people there and see how they are almost universally trying to change their world fpr the better sure it isn't your world but thats not there problem is it?
many pagans at least try to do something positive - and they consider themselves spiritual but so christians or jews or muslims.

you want to hate on religion? well your still a hater (not you MDF)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 am

The neat thing about Burning a Temple at BRC is that everyone can have a different take as to why it is being burned, no matter how tainted one's view of another's beliefs are.

Burn Baby Burn!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Religion VS. Spirituality

Postby SFbrothermichael » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:26 am

Every human being is a combination of mind, body and spirit.
This is supported by science and psychology. This has nothing to do with religion.

Spirituality is simply the recognition of the part of you and everyone else that is spirit. (Another name for spirit is "soul".)

Recognition of the spirit is not reached through the intellect or through understanding. It's more of an intuition.
Spirit is more "you" than thought or intellect or understanding.
Spirit is what thoughts appear in. (Consiousness)

An effective religion is a practice or understanding that can point one to the direct experience of spirit... but it never spirit itself.

When most people say they are agnostic or they deny spirituality... what they are really saying is they reject religion or their own or another persons concepts of "GOD".

What is laughable is when people deny spirituality.
It's their own intellect (their ego) that is denying it.

It's like denying your own breath!!

You ARE spirit.

I hope this helps.
SFbrothermichael

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 pm

graidawg wrote:...a lapsed squidologist...

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm ordering that book.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Temple 2011

Postby roamer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm

It's been less than a week since we heard that we got The Temple after a long and anxious wait. The news sunk in quicker than expected but I'm still pinching myself and we've already been inundated with responses and offers of help.

Designing and building the temple this year really is a rite of passage for us both as individual Burners and as a crew. And we're oh so very grateful and excited to deliver our design.

Something amazing happened during the construction of Megatropolis last year (remember those six, large buildings in deep playa that we blew up on the Friday night). A few of us had previously worked together bringing The Black Rock International Burner Hostel to the playa but we were joined by a handful of others, and whilst working long days on the playa, we quickly became a small, solid crew with a back-to-basics ethos . We didn't even pause during dust storms.

During the construction of Megatropolis, Kiwi started making noises about building the temple in 2011. Whenever I heard him utter such things as, "hmmm... next year's temple... now there's an idea", I would always shout out defiantly, "we are NOT going to do the temple!". At the time I was utterly exhausted from being involved with Megatropolis for months, and taking on an even bigger project in 2011 was the last thing that I wanted.
However, after we had all returned to our respective continents by late September, tentative plans and a very basic temple structure started to emerge in our crew email discussions and of course, I was never going to miss out on designing and building the Temple at Burning Man. So began months of planning, mostly via email since our crew is so spread out around the world, besides a few excited conversations as a few of us gathered at various Decoms and KiwiBurn.

Yes, our design does draw inspiration from Western religious architecture and I for one, wanted a change from the often Eastern influenced temples of the past. IANAC but I can still appreciate the beauty and magnificence of cathedrals and churches. There won't be any pews, nor a pulpit or lectern, though there will be plenty of seating throughout the structures. There will be several coloured, translucent windows similar to traditional stained glass windows but the images will depict different types of ritual passage and those in the tall, central temple will celebrate BM icons. And there will be altars, lots of altars but the like you haven't seen before.

There will be some Eastern influences in the intricate decor, mainly Javan and Moorish, besides patterns and shapes reflecting the varied cultures of the crew members. Imagine a Romanesque cathedral that had its windows and doors updated to the Gothic style. Later decorative renovations were financed by some Eastern Renaissance merchants before falling into ruin. Then recently playafied by some Irish, British and Kiwi Burners after they started squatting in the dilapidated building.

Light has been an integral part of our design from the very start, both inside and out. The large, cavernous internal spaces will be relatively dark, lit from a single, central light source, with shards of light projecting onto the walls and drawing attention to the altars. Subtle lighting will also emanate from the walls and bursts of light will project into the night sky from the top of the spires.

Nearly everyone refers to the project as The Temple no matter what has been its title in previous years. We didn't want visitors to our temple to have any expectations about what emotion was to be explored there so we decided to simply call it The Temples since there are six of them. Some people will go there to mourn and some to celebrate, besides every emotion in between. We hope that people of all faiths and varying degrees of spirituality will find The Temples a place to contemplate, rejoice or explore their unique place in the universe. Or simply enjoy the peacefulness and the art.

We also welcome practicing and lapsed Squidologists. Although we'd prefer if you could visit the temple at a prearranged time as some of your rituals can be a little slimy and may scare small children. I'll never know how you don't break your tentacles, even with all that self-lubrication that you always harp on about.

I'm looking forward to the most fun and rewarding summer of my life.
Doing my bit to put the play in playa
roamer

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Postby Shadowcasting » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Then who are these people and why do they claim they're building the Temple this year?

http://www.greggfleishman.com/BurningMan11.html
Shadowcasting

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 pm

There were four applications submitted by groups that wished to build the Temple. Perhaps these are the drawings for one of those groups.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Bob

Postby roamer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Anyone with the passion to spend the time and effort required to submit an application for The Temple should have the opportunity to contribute to this year's temple.

To this end, we're in the process of inviting the other crews to bring their particular skill sets and creativity to our project. We hope that each crew will be able to take on a particular aspect of the project and still be able to express some of the uniqueness of their applications within the scope of our design.

It's a big temple with room for some compromise.
We're aiming to be an extremely collaborative project.

Bob wrote:Pew! Pew! Pew!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5aPFP85dk[/youtube]
Doing my bit to put the play in playa
roamer

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Postby Lady Macri » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:00 pm

An honour to be working with you this year, Roamer.
Lady Macri

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Why?

Bob

Re: Temple 2011

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

This is my favorite part, thanks.

roamer wrote:Nearly everyone refers to the project as The Temple no matter what has been its title in previous years. We didn't want visitors to our temple to have any expectations about what emotion was to be explored there so we decided to simply call it The Temples since there are six of them. Some people will go there to mourn and some to celebrate, besides every emotion in between. We hope that people of all faiths and varying degrees of spirituality will find The Temples a place to contemplate, rejoice or explore their unique place in the universe. Or simply enjoy the peacefulness and the art.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance