Reenact Jesus Christ Superstar?

Two observations - maybe three

Postby NotANugget » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 am

jcstar wrote:I'm a first time attendee (I dont want to call myself a burner yet) but I thought this would be a neat idea for a performance piece.

Answer given - blah blah blah about religion and Burning Man
Alternate Answer - Hey bud - it's Burning Man. If you can pull it off - go for it.

jcstar wrote: I'm in no way religious but have always loved the music of Jesus Christ Superstar. Given the setting of BM and the general vibe I feel like a reenactment of the play over the entirety of BM would be pretty awesome to see,

Answer given - a few people picked up on this - yay.
Alternate Answer - Yeah - the music is great and it is a fun musical/rock opera to see in person! IN addition, if by envirnment you mean heat, dust, wind, and desert - it might lend atmospherically to the piece.

jcstar wrote: especially if people could stay in character the entire time. It would be like being part of a living play.

Potential answer - Unless you were playing Jesus, then that crucifiction thing would really suck ass! Honestly though - good concept, but just be aware that some people's acceptance levels of something they could see as blatantly religious might not be as high as one would expect from burners. Some would be on board because the performers would be giving the gift of entertainment and others might be offended because of personal reasons.

jcstar wrote: Anyway, I have no singing ability or any other skill that could help with this (I guess I could carry a radio to play the music) but thought I'd toss the idea out there in case some acting troupe thought it would be worth picking up.

Potential answer - So what - are you trying to stir shit up?!? Just kidding. In all honesty - it is Burning Man - if you think it is a cool idea - YOU create the spark and see what you can come up with and who gives a fuck what other people think.

Just get your ass out there and have fun!! See you on the playa!

Just a thought....

PS - Or - what Tom said!! :P
You awaken from the fairyland dream
Your eyes have focused on the fan on the ceiling
You realise your a part of the machine
Uptight in Terminal City
Fucked up in Terminal City
NotANugget

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am

I think people's attention spans are too short out .... ooooh, shiny.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby addison4 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Here's an expansion of the idea:

A Broadway camp!
You guys have a different Musical you headline everyday!

The different musicals will bring in different tastes!

I know there are people like myself, who have been in musicals and love to sing and fool around like they're back in theater class.

I think its a miraculous idea. I do think you will have trouble getting people to join in on 'JCSS'. If you did "Wicked" or "Dark of the Moon" and even a bunch of other theater/musical classics people would join in.

I even bet there are enough people bumming around who have been in a lot of these musicals for you to put on a condensed production every day!! It also would make it humorous when the production fell apart because you'd only been preparing for six hours.

I think the concept is good,
and overall it could be a blast.
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby Galaxo Magic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 am

AntiM wrote:I think people's attention spans are too short out .... ooooh, shiny.

AntiM, stay on the thread topic and....wow, Blinkies!!!!

PS - I like the Broadway musical camp idea. :)
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby graidawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 am

I want to do a burning man version of Paint Your Wagon! i've already written some of the songs and think Eric would make a great 'partner' ( Clint Eastwood ) but he's not going this year apparentely :(
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby jcstar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:17 pm

To the religious and anti-religious people - why must Christianity have a monopoly of love and positive messages? As I stated I am not religious at all but the message of the songs is one of love, compassion, confusion, and above all truth. I think that applies universally and strikes at the core of the Burning Man principles.

But alas I have neither the skill nor friends to pull this type of thing off. But I wanted to put the idea out there in case someone else would be able to. The conversation has been mostly negative, a sad sign from a group that claims to be all inclusive and accepting. It makes me fear the message of Burning Man has been distorted and my expectations will not be met.

I love the idea of expanding to doing different musicals or songs from them each day. There are so many out there that bring these messages of hope, longing, love, sadness, confusion and heart ache. I would visit that camp every day to participate in a group singing and experience the feeling.

I hope someone picks up on this idea and run with it in some form.
jcstar

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

jcstar wrote:To the religious and anti-religious people - why must Christianity have a monopoly of love and positive messages? As I stated I am not religious at all but the message of the songs is one of love, compassion, confusion, and above all truth. I think that applies universally...

See, I have a great deal of trouble thinking that it's anything but a cheap ploy to repackage a 2000-year old corpse as something "young" and "hip" and "now", for a now that was 40 years ago and is now hopelessly out-of-date.
Which is just another way of saying "to each his own."

And the playa is a "do-ocracy." Meaning, if you want something done, do it yourself. I like to kick around ideas, too, but people are pretty much either going to do their own ideas, or join someone else with some momentum. I don't know if orphaned ideas ever get picked up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm

jcstar wrote:To the religious and anti-religious people - why must Christianity have a monopoly of love and positive messages? As I stated I am not religious at all but the message of the songs is one of love, compassion, confusion, and above all truth. I think that applies universally and strikes at the core of the Burning Man principles.

But alas I have neither the skill nor friends to pull this type of thing off. But I wanted to put the idea out there in case someone else would be able to. The conversation has been mostly negative, a sad sign from a group that claims to be all inclusive and accepting. It makes me fear the message of Burning Man has been distorted and my expectations will not be met.

I love the idea of expanding to doing different musicals or songs from them each day. There are so many out there that bring these messages of hope, longing, love, sadness, confusion and heart ache. I would visit that camp every day to participate in a group singing and experience the feeling.

I think I see your mistake.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 pm

ygmir wrote:
jcstar wrote:To the religious and anti-religious people - why must Christianity have a monopoly of love and positive messages? As I stated I am not religious at all but the message of the songs is one of love, compassion, confusion, and above all truth. I think that applies universally and strikes at the core of the Burning Man principles.

I think I see your mistake.............

Burning Man IS distorted. Expect the unexpected. Go without expectations. Expectorants might be expected and inspection of introspection is not the exception.
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 pm

graidawg wrote:I want to do a burning man version of Paint Your Wagon! i've already written some of the songs and think Eric would make a great 'partner' ( Clint Eastwood ) but he's not going this year apparentely :(

I hate Broadway musicals. I think I can speak fully for myself in saying "no" to anything involving singing.

As for my attendance... while it's still very up-in-the-air I refuse to say I'm not going at this point, just that it's looking sketchy. It's not April yet (barely not, but still), the Gate doesn't open for months. Things can happen. I hope.

jcstar wrote:I love the idea of expanding to doing different musicals or songs from them each day. There are so many out there that bring these messages of hope, longing, love, sadness, confusion and heart ache. I would visit that camp every day to participate in a group singing and experience the feeling.

Burning Man doesn't exist to fulfill your desires, or mine, or anyone elses. If you think it's cool and you want to see it, you make it happen. Period.
Don't expect anyone else to do something to entertain your lazy ass. They're busy creating what they want to see and not expecting someone else to do the work.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 am

Make Reefer Madness the musical and even I will sing for ya
unjonharley

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 pm

You all prob know what I'd say about all this..."ROCKY, ROCKY, ROCKY!"

What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm

That was fun... one year I was The Narrator. I had no neck.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

I tossed rice...what fun!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:58 pm

/
I have the Rocky Show on instat replay.. Watch it on my way to sleep some nites.
unjonharley

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 pm

TomServo wrote:I tossed rice...what fun!

Rice is MOOP, rice is MOOP

And AntiM has no fuking neck, so now I am getting my musicals confused.......
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Re: Reenact Jesus Christ Superstar?

Postby linguafranka » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey man - I [u]AM[/u] DOING JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR on the playa this year!!
your vision is happening! well sorta, its my interpretation of how to organize such a thing...

a la Rocky Horror - the movie playing with the soundtrack and all, folks dont have to sing unless they want to...
AND WE STILL NEED PARTICIPANTS! we need actors, tech folks, lighting techs, extras, costumers, all sorts of help!!

go here for more information: www.linguafranka.com

SHOWTIME: WED NIGHT 10PM
@ ZIPTIES & BEER CAMP (E & 8:30)

so come on out and sing your dusty lungs out to your favorite rock opera!!

WWW.LINGUAFRANKA.COM

-jessica in Oakland, CA
linguafranka

Postby langdon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:44 pm

linguafranka wrote:Hey man - I AM DOING JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR on the playa this year!!
your vision is happening! well sorta, its my interpretation of how to organize such a thing...

a la Rocky Horror - the movie playing with the soundtrack and all, folks dont have to sing unless they want to...
AND WE STILL NEED PARTICIPANTS! we need actors, tech folks, lighting techs, extras, costumers, all sorts of help!!

go here for more information: http://www.linguafranka.com

SHOWTIME: WED NIGHT 10PM
@ ZIPTIES & BEER CAMP (E & 8:30)

so come on out and sing your dusty lungs out to your favorite rock opera!!

http://WWW.LINGUAFRANKA.COM

-jessica in Oakland, CA

Ha cool!
langdon

Postby HELLEVATOR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 am

Bring yourself and your music device, we will plug it into the HELLEVATOR and play your jesus song and you can teach us how to dance.
HELLEVATOR

Previous

Return to 2011 Art & Performance