Reenact Jesus Christ Superstar?

Reenact Jesus Christ Superstar?

Postby jcstar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm a first time attendee (I dont want to call myself a burner yet) but I thought this would be a neat idea for a performance piece. I'm in no way religious but have always loved the music of Jesus Christ Superstar. Given the setting of BM and the general vibe I feel like a reenactment of the play over the entirety of BM would be pretty awesome to see, especially if people could stay in character the entire time. It would be like being part of a living play. Anyway, I have no singing ability or any other skill that could help with this (I guess I could carry a radio to play the music) but thought I'd toss the idea out there in case some acting troupe thought it would be worth picking up.
jcstar

Postby gaminwench » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 pm

newbies are so cute...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Aren't they.....
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I have been going since 2001 and I find it pretty easy to get into a character and stay in it all burn. I have been in JCS. Personally, I do not see JCS at Burning Man. Curious why you would think it might work?

(I just couldn't let it go...)
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby addison4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I think you deserve an honest answer.
I am a Christian, and I hope you can promote Christ's love on the Playa.

If you are taking this on you've got to deal with the religious issues at BM: The fact that we burn an Idol means we're breaking one of the ten commandments, which is why non-theists scoff at you.

That being said there are three levels of understanding about religion at BM:
1) Anti-Christian, Breaking the ten commandments...
2) Druid occultism, see the 'Wicker Man' an old horror movie; but Druid worship is only a front for....
3) Zoroastrianism, the ancient religion that BM is based on. Our social practices, the time of the festival, and the fire worship are all Zoroastrian. It is up to you to figure out how it relates to American Culture and Leadership in our country. Ahura mazda. In fact Zoroastrianism and Christianity have much in common: both are monotheistic and appreciate free will. Historically they have influenced each other. BM and Zoroastrianism are both looking for truth in morality and truth in one God. So in a way, Zoroastrianism and BM are a lot like Christianity without all the garbage.

Thus, putting on Jesus Christ Superstar isn't out of place at all. In fact, you will get much support for people who respect your personal quest for meaning. And remember, the people who just ridiculed you don't understand the universal truth that is God, which encompasses all of Burning Man too.

My suggestion is that you find people who are supportive of RADICAL INCLUSION, (which is a Zoroastrian credo at BM.) You will find such allies at camps such as mine, 1776.

Good luck.
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:12 pm

addison4 wrote:I think you deserve an honest answer.

If you are taking this on you've got to deal with the religious issues at BM: The fact that we burn an Idol means we're breaking one of the ten commandments, which is why non-theists scoff at you.

2) Druid occultism, see the 'Wicker Man' an old horror movie; but Druid worship is only a front for....
3) Zoroastrianism, the ancient religion that BM is based on. Our social practices, the time of the festival, and the fire worship are all Zoroastrian. It is up to you to figure out how it relates to American Culture and Leadership in our country. Ahura mazda. In fact Zoroastrianism and Christianity have much in common: both are monotheistic and appreciate free will. Historically they have influenced each other. BM and Zoroastrianism are both looking for truth in morality and truth in one God. So in a way, Zoroastrianism and BM are a lot like Christianity without all the garbage.

Thus, putting on Jesus Christ Superstar isn't out of place at all. In fact, you will get much support for people who respect your personal quest for meaning. And remember, the people who just ridiculed you don't understand the universal truth that is God, which encompasses all of Burning Man too.

My suggestion is that you find people who are supportive of RADICAL INCLUSION, (which is a Zoroastrian credo at BM.) You will find such allies at camps such as mine, 1776.

Good luck.

Glad to hear you have your jebus stick crossed firmly in your ass..

Just don't be trying to tell Burners what they practice..

I go to BM to camp on the desert and see the people that are camping..

WE go watch a fire show at the end of the week.. Humans like to play with fire.
Most burners leave there church the fuck out of Burning man..
unjonharley

Cheesus Rice Superstar!

Postby lonestoner916 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 pm

lonestoner916

Postby gaminwench » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

no ridicule... I said cute, I meant cute!
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Galaxo Magic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:48 pm

addison4 wrote:I think you deserve an honest answer.

Good luck.

Wow, someone thought I was ridiculing the person that wanted to bring JCS. HAHAHA, that is hilarious. I am not going to get into a religious debate. JCS is a musical, a well written musical. It takes a lot of liberties with 'facts'. If you can find a whole group that want to try and be a piece of this puzzle for the entire Burn, more power to you.

As far as there being 3 levels of understanding at BM, that is true of the first 3 people you meet. The 4th person will have a 4th level of understanding. It appears 1776 has been to many Burns but has overly simplified it. I could say there are two levels of understanding at BM, Hippies and those that don't like Hippies, maybe that is an oversimplification but that is what 1776 is doing. 1776 has no understanding of me or my friends. None of us fall in 1776's three levels.

As unjonharley said so well "I go to BM to camp on the desert and see the people that are camping..WE go watch a fire show at the end of the week.. Humans like to play with fire.
Most burners leave there* church the fuck out of Burning man.
."

* - I am sure unjonharley meant to use 'their' in the last line

jcstar, go for it. Don't listen to us, we just think newbs are cute because they haven't experienced BM yet. I always like having newbs in camp. They see things the way I did the first year or two.
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby addison4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Obviously you guys don't believe in any form of religious order, but the 'Ten Principles of Burning Man' are directly from *Zoroastrian holy festivals, and so is the fire. If you follow them you are following the ancient Religion that makes BM work:

*Radical Inclusion
*Gifting
Decommodification
*Radical Self-reliance
*Radical Self-expression
*Communal Effort
*Civic Responsibility
Leaving No Trace
*Participation
*Immediacy

This is not an opinion.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 pm

addison4 wrote:Obviously you guys don't believe in any form of religious order, but the 'Ten Principles of Burning Man' are directly from *Zoroastrian holy festivals, and so is the fire. If you follow them you are following the ancient Religion that makes BM work:

*Radical Inclusion
*Gifting
Decommodification
*Radical Self-reliance
*Radical Self-expression
*Communal Effort
*Civic Responsibility
Leaving No Trace
*Participation
*Immediacy

This is not an opinion.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

What the fuck are you trying to do? Spoil it for me???
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 pm

addison4 wrote:Obviously you guys don't believe in any form of religious order, but the 'Ten Principles of Burning Man' are directly from *Zoroastrian holy festivals, and so is the fire.

Total generalization. Who the hell is this "you guys" you paint with a broad brush? I know everyone out there from Religious Jews, Christians, Muslims, Pagan, Buddhists (never met a Zoroastrian on the playa, but I know some in Real Life) to complete hardcore atheists and everywhere in-between.

Not everyone takes the "principles" as Doctrine, some of us tend to look at them as general guidelines. I would also like to see cites on them coming directly from Zoroastrianism. I can point out connections to other religions as well, similar beliefs don't mean they had to come from the same exact source. Again you paint with a very broad brush.

addison4 wrote:This is not an opinion.

You are most definitely expressing an opinion, not a series of facts. To quote the Princess Bride out of context:

"I do not think that word means what you think it means..."

You can try to shove people into your little mental boxes all you like, have fun with it. Doesn't mean we actually live there or believe what you want us to.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby C187 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am

Eric, I <3 you right now and that totally acceptable male bonding way approved by [ your choice of religious affiliation or lack of here ]. Just thought you should know.

< no snark from me on the whole subject >

So OP!
I've yet to see anyone do JCS on the playa, and frankly who gives a damn what others might think. Just do it. Run around and do it. I'd watch for sure.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

C187 wrote:Eric, I <3 you right now and that totally acceptable male bonding way approved by [ your choice of religious affiliation or lack of here ]. Just thought you should know.

careful with that. The Hubby might get jealous (or not)...

Also think the OP should go for it. I pretty much think everyone should go for their Playa dreams, just plan on doing it for your own fun and hopefully others will join you.

Personally, if someone had a sound set-up blasting JC Superstar at the Man when I was going by, I'd sure as hell join in for a song or two.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby addison4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 am

Religious doctrines are not personal opinions. The only people who think that are people who don't accept religion as truth.

The doctrine of Burning Man falls within the specific doctrine of Zoroastrianism. If you can't accept this then you might have a problem believing objective spiritual truth exists.
addison4

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 am

addison4 wrote:Religious doctrines are not personal opinions. The only people who think that are people who don't accept religion as truth.

The only truth in religion is the murder of the millions that did not believe in your doctrine.. So you believe that 4000 years ago??.. Some guy got stoned, lost in the desert and started hearing voices.. Then gets a gang togeather and murders anyone that wont believe him. This is what your religion is based on??

I saw JCS on stage.. One kick ass play..
unjonharley

Postby Workinonit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 am

There will be AT LEAST 1 person that likes whatever you do at Burning Man and AT LEAST 1 person that hates whatever you do at Burning Man. If you are trying to make everyone happy, forget it. Just do what you want, it will make some sort of impression.
As always...
Workinonit!

Check out my Burning Man 2011 Art Project!
www.tunneloflights.com
www.twitter.com/TToQE
http://kck.st/eDaZyQ
Workinonit

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 am

Jesus Christ Suck My Dick is more like it.

Hail Lucifer.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 am

Like to see Wagner's Ring Cycle produced on the playa.
With fat naked singers.
Wouldn't that be a relgious experience?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Like to see Wagner's Ring Cycle produced on the playa.
With fat naked singers.

That would be religious in every sense, wow, it might even get my dear husband out there. :shock: He's been angling for a Ringstravaganza ever since I bought my Burning Man ticket, but, geez you thought these tix were tough, Bayreuth makes you apply every year for "several years" (per their website; go look) before they let you buy any tickets, which cost... whew more than I even want to think about, per show... :shock: :shock: :shock:

So yeah, the Ring on the Playa sounds great to me!

I can't sing, though, can you???
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 pm

APOCADISCOLYPSE(tm)
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 pm

BM is all about having as much fun, anyway you can. and if your not having fun then your not doing it right.
Were all here cuz were not all there.

BM 2010 Metropolis
BM 2011 Rites Of Passage
Sasquatch

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:00 pm

addison4 wrote:If you can't accept this then you might have a problem believing objective spiritual truth exists.

This applies to a lot of words you seem to use incorrectly.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/youtube]

"Objective" and "spiritual" don't exist on the same planet (see the Great Schism or the Sunni/ Shia split)

"Spiritual" and "truth" vary from person to person (just look at the multitude of denominations within Christianity itself- some of which vary on the most basic of issues; this splitting of dominations occurs in every single major religion so there is obviously no single "truth" or there would only be a single religion)

However, since you obviously know everything & have closed your mind you will assuredly find that I'm incorrect.
I'm bored.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Inconceivable!

Anyway, I am bored, too. Eplaya is getting banal and predictable.
Ugly Dougly

Postby addison4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Back to metaphysics:

You're going to need a stage, a sound system, lighting would help, promotion, costume design/makeup, and a few people who can sing/act.

You can organize some of this off-playa, but the fun part will be putting it together on-playa. I suggest you make your plans for a base camp, set a date and venue, and then fill in the pieces. I would suggest an established stage to do it at, this way you draw viewers with both the stage and the production. The best would be center camp, but you've got to go with a stage that will commit to a time right away: that way you can advertise, recruit, and practice knowing where it all is.

You could also just take over a large public place: fuck official planning. Just choose a camp and set the production in the closest public clearing. Bring lights, sound, and a generator. I would advertise in the BM program, or else I would advertise with the stage.

Another idea is to hook up with a sound camp with great location. If you can take it over for an hour, you already have perfect venue and an audience who wants to rock out. Get the DJ involved; this could be crazy: lights, wild tracks, dancers everywhere, a bar next door. I've never seen a production like that!
addison4

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:51 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Like to see Wagner's Ring Cycle produced on the playa.
With fat naked singers.

That would be religious in every sense, wow, it might even get my dear husband out there. :shock: He's been angling for a Ringstravaganza ever since I bought my Burning Man ticket, but, geez you thought these tix were tough, Bayreuth makes you apply every year for "several years" (per their website; go look) before they let you buy any tickets, which cost... whew more than I even want to think about, per show... :shock: :shock: :shock:

So yeah, the Ring on the Playa sounds great to me!

I can't sing, though, can you???

I think San Francisco Opera is having one soon.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby addison4 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am

You can do this if you have the singing/acting talent ready with music and lines.

The playa will provide the equipment... just have a plan.
addison4

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am

addison4 wrote:Religious doctrines are not personal opinions. The only people who think that are people who don't accept religion as truth.

The doctrine of Burning Man falls within the specific doctrine of Zoroastrianism. If you can't accept this then you might have a problem believing objective spiritual truth exists.

It's still a personal choice as to whether you want to believe in it or not, unless you've been brain-washed from birth.

And as I hope you can see, there's certain resistance among eplayans to being told what to believe.
Ugly Dougly

Postby actiongrl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm

BTW, someone did do JCS ont he playa back around 2000 or 2001.

Oh look, found an interview: http://www.pigdog.org/djchristsuperstar.html
actiongrl

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 am

that said, Burning Man is EVERYONE'S playground! Now shut the fuck up!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance