Sonoma County is building the Southern Oracle

Sonoma County is building the Southern Oracle

Postby dignified_speck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 am

Hiii,

We have a team forming to construct the 2 sphinxes and the magic mirror gate. But we have only a few among us and are looking for more members, funding... RSVP!

My second reason for posting is that we want to make sure this idea isn't being produced already, and if so, can efforts be combined?

BE IN TOUCH

-Ari
your world is but sand in my undies
dignified_speck

Postby dignified_speck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:13 am

I should also clairify. This is the Southern Oracle from the 1984 movie "The Neverending Story"
dignified_speck

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 pm

dignified_speck wrote:I should also clairify. This is the Southern Oracle from the 1984 movie "The Neverending Story"

Wow, I should not admit this, but I watched that movie in January. Give us a little more info, like, where are you based, how long have you been attending BurningMan?
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Parasitoid » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:09 pm

sweet. I would like to help however I can. Would love to see this realized on the playa.
Parasitoid

Updates

Postby dignified_speck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm

[quote="Galaxo Magic"][quote="dignified_speck"]I should also clairify. This is the Southern Oracle from the 1984 movie "The Neverending Story"[/quote]
Wow, I should not admit this, but I watched that movie in January. Give us a little more info, like, where are you based, how long have you been attending BurningMan?[/quote]

Sure thing, my name is Ari, I am living on the Russian River currently. I've been a burner for 4 years, this will be my 5th burn. Pretty stoked to finally be contributing a real piece of art this time. The team forming is all good friends and we're trying to recruit others in the bay area who are interested in the project, Sonoma County locals have an advantage as we tend to meet in Santa Rosa or Guerneville.
We haven't yet decided on a construction site, but we have made preliminary arragnements to test materials and build scale models in miniature. We also want to visit the special effects company who made the movie and look at the originals. We are looking for any level of contribution, be it your time, expertiese, cold dollars, tips, suggestions, etc. We are a pretty modest group with limited experience in models of this scale but we're not letting little issues like ''experience'' hold us back. What we really need now are people who can sculpt a convincing exterior over a steel frame. Design concepts are welcome too. We think the final product will stand 10'15' tall with wings. A steel frame will make the body solid while the wings will be aluminum, both things coated with a combination of plaster, fix-all, maybe fiberglass.. The mirror gate will be 7' tall minus frame, probably near 8' with the frame; materials include mylar, plexiglass, wood, and the rest is still conceptual.

A bit of discussion on lighting is still happening. Don't want to give it all away, but it will be lit, and there is talk of a kind of sound system involved in it.

Please, thoughts? Ideas? Burner-power?

-Ari
dignified_speck

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 pm

maybe some vanquished knight bones scattered about?
Parasitoid

Postby plumblove » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks like an ambitious project. It would be awesome to see it on the Playa. A quick scan of the Wiki pages says that it was filmed in Germany. Are you planning on going there to see the originals?
plumblove

Return to 2011 Art & Performance