TROJAN HORSE Casting Call

TROJAN HORSE Casting Call

Postby evsc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 pm

One of the most memorable art projects at Burning Man 2011 will be the monumental, all-wood Trojan Horse. Standing 50’ feet tall and weighing 25 tons with a bar inside, the beast will be towed by the masses from near the Esplanade through the Gates of Troy to the Temple of Dionysus on Friday at sundown.

The procession of this massive piece of interactive and mobile art will be filmed from the air and the playa. We are looking for Burners to help pull the beast and serve in other roles. We are recruiting for the Retinue of Dionysus, a loose troupe of wild women and horny men who will lead the procession dressed as satyrs, maenads, nymphs, and followers of Pan. We are asking drummers and brass players, individually and as ensembles to join in performing the march and processional composed for this event.

Costumed Greek Gods and Goddesses are sought to bring all their powers to bear on achieving these momentous tasks. We also welcome Roman God(desses) if they accept their Greek names. Once the Horse passes through the Gates of Troy, a wild celebration will begin. Amazons and Apollo’s archers (soliciting both) will send flaming arrows into the beast and in a spectacular fire with pyrotechnics, the horse will be consumed, highlighting an evening of pure pandemonium. We need Burners to play the roles of characters in the Trojan war, including Greek and Trojan warriors. Also seeking construction workers to build the beast in San Francisco and on the playa.

Learn more about this project and volunteer to participate at http://trojan.evsc.net
http://trojan.evsc.net/castingcall

evsc

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 pm

That is so bad ass and I'd love to take part in helping build on Playa swell as be an acher if possible
Ogdenhousedj

Postby Galaxo Magic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:01 am

Outstanding concept. I can't wait to experience the Trojan Horse!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 am

do you mean you want people to fight? sweeeeeeet i can do that, will i need to bring my (battle safe) sword or a spear or something?
Oh and i have trained people for show fighting, scripted and improve and how to do it safely, well nobody died andvery few scars, big ones anyway.
i've had an idea to do electric sword fighting too

1 arc welder rig, two metal swords rubber gloves and shoes and away you go!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Helen Wheels

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 am

i'm in.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby H.G.Crosby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 am

finally, a monument to the stealth pony...

i'm in too.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 am

maybe it should be palya sparkle pony and pulled by slave ravers, with combat between the burny and sparkle ponies, oh this could be sooo much fun.
will there be slave drivers with whips? and chanting ? oh i wish i could remeber the chant.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby evsc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 am

Archers, Builders, Trojan War Characters .. you all are welcome!
If you sign up through the contact form here: http://trojan.evsc.net/castingcall - we'll keep you informed!
evsc

Postby S9arky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 am

Toga party!!
S9arky

Fun Facts

Postby jonel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Here are some fun facts:

Building the Trojan Horse will consume about 6 - 24" dbh (diameter at breast height) x 80' tall Douglas Fir trees (I'm not an expert on tree volume, board feet and weight analysis but I think this is right). When it burns it will produce about .074 tons PM-10 (larger particulates), .064 tons PM-2.5 (smaller particulates), .019 tons CH4 (methane), .156 tons CO (carbon monoxide), 42.68 tons CO2 (carbon dioxide), .047 tons NOX (nitrous dioxide), .024 tons SO2 (sulfur dioxide). Methane, nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide are green house gases.

Above does not include emissions from mobile sources used for construction, transport, debris removal and disposal; tools and equipment.
jonel

Re: Fun Facts

Postby DB Cooper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm in!!!!

jonel wrote:Here are some fun facts:

Building the Trojan Horse will consume about 6 - 24" dbh (diameter at breast height) x 80' tall Douglas Fir trees (I'm not an expert on tree volume, board feet and weight analysis but I think this is right). When it burns it will produce about .074 tons PM-10 (larger particulates), .064 tons PM-2.5 (smaller particulates), .019 tons CH4 (methane), .156 tons CO (carbon monoxide), 42.68 tons CO2 (carbon dioxide), .047 tons NOX (nitrous dioxide), .024 tons SO2 (sulfur dioxide). Methane, nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide are green house gases.

Above does not include emissions from mobile sources used for construction, transport, debris removal and disposal; tools and equipment.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! but you forgot to calculate the damn accelerants, you think we can burn something like that without massive amounts of petro based accelerants? Damn hippies can be so freakin slow sometimes.
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Re: Fun Facts

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

jonel wrote:Here are some fun facts:

So how do we contain the nitrous oxide? :wink:
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 am

What about when the archers miss the horse? Do their arrows fly into the crowd on the opposite side? :twisted: That would be fun.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 pm

There's a special gift awaiting the burner who can catch the most flaming arrows....

...... in their mouth.........

......while blindfolded........................

......at the 3:00 ESD station.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby falcon451 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 pm

No worries Jonel - that's short-term cycling carbon (and the other compounds). Doesn't even enter the same conversation as fossil carbon footprint. You can plant recapturing trees, but you can't make coal. Gonna go mow my lawn now . . .
falcon451

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:40 am

it'd be nice to treat some of the wood with chemicals that would change the color of the fire, too!!!!!
copper, mercury, strontium, sodium, potassium........all the "good stuff"

I know a particular eplayan who is expert with thermite....so, there's some great ionized aluminum and iron..........

and, IIRC, ionized copper and mercury, combine with oxides of nitrogen and carbon, to create chambuca (sp?).

oh stop it, I gotta tease the enviro hippy
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

come get "Initiated" & paddled!

Postby Anpu2001 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 am

Moonbow Camp will be doing a Gay Toga Frat Party(8pm) and the Mysteries of Dionysus (12midnight) on tuesday night. You can always bring the Horsey over to participate too!
Anpu2001

I am so excited!!!

Postby Mojag » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

Anxiously awaiting an email from master builder Joel. Tools ready, girl and screwgun ready. I am very excited to be a part of this and help build this sucker. This project is really going to be a huge part in this chapter of my life and I'm inspired to bring my skills and dedication to helping bring this beast to life.
Mojag

Location: Hills above Santa Cruz, Loma Prieta my mountain home

Postby Snow » Fri May 27, 2011 9:51 pm

We'll also be assembling a construction crew in Reno too, just as soon as we find a place to work. I know a few of you are in Reno so if you know a workspace in the Reno area please let me know ASAP!

LOOSE THE ARROWS!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Snow » Fri May 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:What about when the archers miss the horse? Do their arrows fly into the crowd on the opposite side? :twisted: That would be fun.
Trojan and Amazon archers don't miss, don't be silly. Maybe those archers from Athens that couldn't hit the broadside of a giant horse.
Snow

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 pm

YAY got ourselves a workspace in Sparks, and of course our warehouse on Treasure Island (SF).
Snow

Postby jella » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 pm

This is something I am very much looking forward to :)

Can't wait for pics !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Snow

Postby capjbadger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:06 pm

It occurs to me that you better make sure the wind is to the archers' backs, otherwise they are going to burn their bows. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby reonion » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 pm

We just posted it to our Facebook page ;) -> www.facebook.com/reOnion
amazing project! really hope to see you on the playa!!!
reonion

Postby capjbadger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 pm

reonion wrote:We just posted it to our Facebook page ;) -> www.facebook.com/reOnion
amazing project! really hope to see you on the playa!!!

Wrong thread...
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:38 pm

FWIW what he posted was a link to the Trojan Horse page on the Reonion page.
Sic Pup

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:04 pm

...No it doesn't, and I give up trying to make a link that works it so that it does.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:00 am

oneeyeddick wrote:...No it doesn't, and I give up trying to make a link that works it so that it does.

Ahh, I see your point, mea culpa. How's this?

http://www.facebook.com/reOnion?sk=wall
Sic Pup

Postby Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for the FB shoutout reonion and OED! Reonion your project looks pretty cool too.
Snow

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance